Second Gen Headlight Modulator Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got back in into riding about 10 years ago, after an absence of about 20 years, I was really into being seen, so I installed a Kisan modulator on my Harley. I did get stopped once in Oregon and was told they were illegal, but that was way back when modulators were still a fairly new gadget. I didn't get a ticket, and I tried to tell the officer they were in fact legal in all 50, but I guess he didn't get the memo. I wrote his superior once I was home. I don't ride the Harley much anymore, and have not been much tempted to install a modulator on the FJR, though after reading some of these posts, I may reconsider. It was also my experience that once in awhile, pylons would pull over and let me by on my Harley, even when that was not my intent. I think most people are aware now that many motorcycles have modulators and are not LEO's.

I'm one of those people who will let a motorcycle pass if he's using a modulator,

not because I think it's a police officer and not because it's annoying but because

it's very distracting and it takes my attention off the road ahead of me.

That's a safety issue to me. So if I'm on a bike or in my car I let them pass.

They do what they are designed to do.

I was always taught that a triangle of light has the desired affect on oncoming drivers. Something to do with how the brain interprets images to the eyes. So I always mount caliper lights and have had no instances of people pulling out on me that I can remember. I also play the "what if" game a lot. Like if this guy pulled out of this side street what would I do? Just another thing I was shown at a very early age by older bikers even then.

Modulators suck to be in front of, period.

And flashing brake hyper lights are hard to ride behind.

I will say they do their job but they do it to a true annoyance.

All should be more aware that 4 or more wheels will always win against two in a road rage incident. And a modulator sure is setting you up for a road rage incident.

I know you can always go around me on either my bike or car as I will get over so you can. However there are some good old boys all over this country that may just have some fun with the tweetie light. Hell I have had people get pissed on a four lane by me just flashing my high beams to move them over so I can pass in the passing lane.

Yes they work, but they do it by being confusing, and annoying.

Latest posts