see whats behind you, 180* rearview mirror

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may be referring to these. They came on the bike when I bought it, can't find them for sale online. Just a ball and socket that sticks really well to the mirrors.

4uKshOs.jpg
I believe those are called Maxi View and they are the best wide angle mirrors I've found. I still don't like them because when they are mounted like shown above they got constantly bumped by family members in my garage and in parking lots. If they were mounted further inward to avoid getting bumped then they would take up too much real estate on the main mirror. The constant readjusting was too much of a pain, so I took them off.

As mentioned earlier, why not install FZ1 mirrors and solve the problem. I can see what is directly behind me and at the same time cover the lateral area without turning my head more than just a few degrees. To test the coverage I put the bike on the center stand just in front of my car. Then I placed a cone on each side in front of the car and just behind the bike. The cones were moved forward to see if they became invisible prior to my lateral vision. If the FZ1 mirrors are properly adjusted you will not have a blind spot. I still do a minor side glance out of habit.

The only thing that I don't like about the stick on blind spot mirrors is that they block some of the real estate of the main mirror. I'd really prefer some that go above or below the main mirror housing somehow like Sacto Mike's

I'm finding a few variants available via Google, and may score some for use on my pickup truck, and then see how unweildy they would be on the bike. In the meantime, it's just a matter of doing a head check before any turns or lane changes.

I have MaxView type, and the trick is to mount them inside corner and down, which is in mostly unused mirror space. They are good but could be bigger. Perhaps SacMike has something like what Goldwingers have....

https://wingstuff.com/products/32586-blind-spot-mirror-mini-air-deflector?context=gold_wing_gl1800-mirrors_accessories

These are similar, maybe even bigger?

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Plastic-Housing-Auxiliary-Mirror/dp/B00AO7CY2G/ref=pd_bxgy_422_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=193EYZ1255BY69PWC5KE

If you go fast enough, you really don't need rear-view mirrors.
You just never know. I was doing a Ton on a local freeway and was overtaken by some "ricer" cars. Sunday in heavy traffic on I376 near the tunnels, I was overtaken by a fleet of squids on loud high-reving bikes. They were weaving in traffic, splitting and using the shoulder. Went by me like I was sitting still.

No matter how fast you think you are, always check your six.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go fast enough, you really don't need rear-view mirrors.
You just never know. I was doing a Ton on a local freeway and was overtaken by some "ricer" cars. Sunday in heavy traffic on I376 near the tunnels, I was overtaken by a fleet of squids on loud high-reving bikes. They were weaving in traffic, splitting and using the shoulder. Went by me like I was sitting still.

No matter how fast you think you are, always check your six.
Yup...I know Hud was kidding, but there's always some jackass creeping up. Haha

AND, off topic: I just noticed that Tom is now in PA. I thought you were going back to CA?

Changed the user-name today. It's too cold in CA.
And it never rains in California, either (that part's true).

On the mirrors, I'd post a good pic of mine if there was any way to get them, but why just frustrate everybody? That first mirror RaYzerman linked looked pretty much the same, functionally. Takes nothing away from the OEM mirror, just provides you with a nice extra view for the blind spot. The price looked good, till I realized that's for just one mirror. The second link was for a mirror that was ELEVEN inches wide. Not really FJR-worthy.

The setup that works perfect for me is FZ1 mirrors with the little round blind spot mirrors attached in the top outer corners. I have my mirrors adjusted so that the bottom half covers the lane next to me but so that I can see directly behind me by moving my head slightly to one side or the other. The blind spot mirror gives me an additional view of stuff directly behind me, but more importantly covers anything next to me. I can see the nose of a car two lanes over out of the corner of my eye before the back end disappears from the blind spot mirror without turning my head. I agree it's nice not loosing that mirror realestate but I'm not worried about seeing the ground next to the back tire or trying to spot aircraft behind me. I have them adjusted a little "high" so the full width of the bottom half of the mirror gives me full width field of view. Essentially I don't loose any real usable part of the flat mirror but I gain a whole lot from that convex mirror.

I think the mirror the OP put up would drive me nuts on the FJR. I like having things tucked out of the way and if I raised the windshield with one of those it would raise up annoyingly in my primary field of vision in addition to the significant angle change. It may still work in up and down position without readjustment, but you'll probably be looking at the top of the mirror when the windshield is down, and the bottom of it when the windshield is up. That change would drive me crazy.

Regarding the Maxi View, I bought a set for the FJR and like others thought they blocked too much of the primary mirror.

I did however put them on my Pathfinder and my wife's Forester and they are the best blindspot mirrors for a car we've ever used, and we've tried them all. Yes, a run through the carwash requires re-adjusting, but it's worth it.

YMMV.

I've been using the small round blind spot mirrors on vehicles for years, so it was only natural for me to put them on my bike.... But I am used to them, and they work great! Just remember that they are not a substitute for properly adjusted mirrors or in lieu of a head check. For me, they just keep me aware in multi-lane situations or around merging zones where people can sneak into your blind spot.

Riderscan. This looks like a brilliant idea once you get used to the frame of reference it portrays.
link here https://huntercreate.worldsecuresystems.com
I recently installed one of these. For mcatrophy and SacramentoMike waiting for a review and others interested, here you go...

Yea's:

After riding around in different traffic situations I have to say it is pretty good. It is not a distraction or in my line of sight at all. It is light as a feather and it adjusts up and down for windshield position. I have the stock mirrors with the little blind spot stick on's and the RiderScan just brings more to the rear view party. When running with 2 and 3 lane traffic it is really nice. It is like a little Imax theater view of what is behind you.

Nay's:

It is entirely made of plastic except for the stand-off and clamp fasteners. There are 2 small distortions on the reflective surface where the stand-off's are fused behind.

And:

It is not for seeing what is way behind you as distant images are pretty small but works well for what is coming up close behind where you might be concerned. I installed it on a Yamaha Touring shield in the fully down position with the RiderScan maybe 3/8" above the dash and it is not a problem when fully raised. I usually run it down a few inches anyway. I am 5'10" and sit on a Corbin seat.

So far so good. There it is...

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a good augmentation to your side mirrors for the full rear view. Only thing that occurred to me reading your write-up is, what about a GPS or whatever mounted on the Ram Bone at the top of your tank--would that block your view in the mirror? What if it was a little higher? Any other obstructions in your line of sight?

And would you buy it again if this was just a free trial they let you do?

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a good augmentation to your side mirrors for the full rear view. Only thing that occurred to me reading your write-up is, what about a GPS or whatever mounted on the Ram Bone at the top of your tank--would that block your view in the mirror? What if it was a little higher? Any other obstructions in your line of sight?
And would you buy it again if this was just a free trial they let you do?
The reflection of my Z660 mounted on the WynPro Rambone is not a problem. The reflection is positioned about stomach level and is not magnified. The curvature of the mirror makes the Z660 reflection appear smaller and as if you are looking straight down on the unit. I also sometimes additionally run my old Z450 mounted on a Garmin ball on the left grip in the available mounting hole. The reflection of that is also smaller and not in the way. The reflection of the Z450 is positioned just in front of my wrist and not magnified. My Spot3 mounted on the right reservoir is okay too. Would I buy it again? Yes, it works pretty well. No more leaning my head left or right to see more in the blind spot stick-on's as you can even see everything including something straight out 90 degrees to the sides. I have it mounted 9 3/4" down from top edge of windshield to the tops of the mounting pads. The mirror dimensions are 7" x 2/12" (straight plane across the surface).

FZ1's with Multivex mirrors on them. No blind spots at all. I can't find Multivex anymore but if I could I would order mirrors for every vehicle I own. Does Multivex exist anymore?