Seeking Wireless Comm system w/ 3.5mm stereo jack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a long time user of Autocom systems, and have spent (over the years) a metric shit-ton of cash on parts, systems, etc. I'm totally over the wired crap now, and need a wireless solution with the capability of Bluetooth, rider to passenger intercom, bike to bike comms, and, (perhaps most importantly) the ability to plug in my Etymonic ear buds for noise protection / audio. (Queue laughter from the audience.) I've done a fair amount of searching on this forum as well as a few inquiries with a couple of motorcycle shops and haven't found anything. I just KNOW someone out there must have the same problem as me (can't ride more than 10 miles w/out hearing protection) and the associated solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sena SMH10 with the ear bud base. The issue is for bike to bike, others will also have to have Senas. Someone is just now coming out with a BT unit that overcomes that. Don't remember if it's a new Sena unit or someone else.

Yes, the upcoming Sena firmware will allow intercomming with other brands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if you want to spend more $$$ you can add on a Sena SR10 which is a second device that communicates with your SMH10 but acts as a device hub and allows you to directly wire devices to the SR10. It's a mono device so no stereo music but you can connect it to your 2 way radio. The SM10 is another adapter that doesn't allow connection to a 2 way radio but gives stereo connections.

The Cardo Scala Rider9 also offers an input jack.

Like the Sena, it will only work with other Cardo systems devices.

Sena SMH10 with the ear bud base. The issue is for bike to bike, others will also have to have Senas. Someone is just now coming out with a BT unit that overcomes that. Don't remember if it's a new Sena unit or someone else.
I use the setup that HRZ describes. An SM10 transmitter sends audio from my Zumo 550 (Nav audio, MP3, XM) and radar detector to an SMH10 mounted on my helmet. I plug custom-molded ear phones into the 3.5mm tail on the SMH10. I can pair with other Sena users for bike-to-bike comm, but I've never tried it with another vendor's BT headset.

The custom-molded ear phones give me great hearing protection, and have more than adequate sound quality.

I have been looking at the Scala Cardo Q1 and Q3 series. These get great reviews and they do allow ear buds to be plugged in.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/cardo-scala-rider-q1-q3-review/

https://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-q3-multiset

I will end up getting this soon.
punk.gif

Not trying to HiJack the thread, but very similar topics:

On the Horns of a dilema;

Bought TomTom Rider today - need BT Headst to hear it, have a Android galaxy S3 for a phone, want to be able to hear GPS and Phone (sometimes)

No Pillion, wife prefers her Mini Convertible!

Choices down to Scala Rider G9 @ $234 on Amazon or

Senna SMH10-11 @ $156.52

Biggest diference I see is that the Scala also offers an FM Radio built in

Don't ride with any particular group here so Interconnectivity with other riders is not a big concern.

What am I not seeing?

I was an Autocom user for many years, then moved to the Scala Rider setup, and while the bluetooth worked well, the FM sucked. I then went to the Sena SMH10, with the SR10 hub, and it all works great. Windows phone paired to a Zumo 665. Kenwood 2-way and a Streetpilot 2720 plugged into the hub. Fuze in-ear headphones. Latest firmware allows pairing with other bluetooth headsets. Happy with my setup.

Not trying to HiJack the thread, but very similar topics:On the Horns of a dilema;

Bought TomTom Rider today - need BT Headst to hear it, have a Android galaxy S3 for a phone, want to be able to hear GPS and Phone (sometimes)

No Pillion, wife prefers her Mini Convertible!

Choices down to Scala Rider G9 @ $234 on Amazon or

Senna SMH10-11 @ $156.52

Biggest diference I see is that the Scala also offers an FM Radio built in

Don't ride with any particular group here so Interconnectivity with other riders is not a big concern.

What am I not seeing?
I`m a Sena fan. Bought mine from Alex (forum member) at realtimeindustries.com

If you look in the group buy forum, he has a forum discount code.

I am also a Sena fan, but I use custom earbuds. If you use earplugs the Sena may not be loud enough for clear hi-fi .. although the latest updates are louder, and some of my friends find it "sufficient".

I went with the Interphone F5 unit which also has an optional 3.5mm jack for ear buds vs. helmet speakers. One of the reasons I went the F5 as they have an optional Blue Tooth handle bar remote control for easy volume, mode and other changes without taking your hand off the handle bars (although you can do most functions via voice, I'd rather have the direct capability). The F5 also has a built in FM radio so you can easily scan radio channels from your handle bar remote control (I can never find the right channel). They also have a 3.5 mm Blue Tooth adaptor you can plug into any non-BT device for connection. Considering Scala is now doing interchangeability among other brand units, interphone may update theirs as well, and presumably you'll be able to talk to anyone no matter what brand they're using. Twisted Throttle is a good vendor for them.

I've been a Chatterbox XBi user for years, not because it's so wonderful, but because for years it was the ONLY unit that would pick up my MP3 music and stream it to my pillion.

But after MUCH research and seeing the units demo'd at the MC Show, I'm going to the Cardio Q1 or Q3 which the guy above has a link for to a really thorough WebBike review. I know the Sena's are really great, but the Cardio Q series are now the ONLY ones that do what I explained above AND they allow you to swap out from helmet speakers to earbuds.

To do that speaker swap I cut the cord many years ago on my Chatterbox unit and soldered in a jack that allows me to switch. This is a great feature, because I don't want to be limited to either one or the other. I only really need the earbuds when I'm listening to music. If I'm not going to do that, I'd prefer to just us the helmet speakers. It's more comfortable and you don't have to do the very inconvenient and sometimes painful "helmet stretch" to get the lid off without yanking your earbuds out.

For all the reasons above, think the Cardio Q's are the best option out right now, and all their reviews are great. Can't speak to the bike-to-bike question. Of course if the other bike has a Cardio, it's a no brainer, but if you're talkin' about bike-to-bike via one of those walkie-talkie kinda things, I don't know about that. I'm about to start pressuring my most frequent riding buddy to do the Cardio thing too, so we'll have bike-to-bike. Good luck.

I've been a Chatterbox XBi user for years, not because it's so wonderful, but because for years it was the ONLY unit that would pick up my MP3 music and stream it to my pillion.
But after MUCH research and seeing the units demo'd at the MC Show, I'm going to the Cardio Q1 or Q3 which the guy above has a link for to a really thorough WebBike review. I know the Sena's are really great, but the Cardio Q series are now the ONLY ones that do what I explained above AND they allow you to swap out from helmet speakers to earbuds.

To do that speaker swap I cut the cord many years ago on my Chatterbox unit and soldered in a jack that allows me to switch. This is a great feature, because I don't want to be limited to either one or the other. I only really need the earbuds when I'm listening to music. If I'm not going to do that, I'd prefer to just us the helmet speakers. It's more comfortable and you don't have to do the very inconvenient and sometimes painful "helmet stretch" to get the lid off without yanking your earbuds out.

For all the reasons above, think the Cardio Q's are the best option out right now, and all their reviews are great. Can't speak to the bike-to-bike question. Of course if the other bike has a Cardio, it's a no brainer, but if you're talkin' about bike-to-bike via one of those walkie-talkie kinda things, I don't know about that. I'm about to start pressuring my most frequent riding buddy to do the Cardio thing too, so we'll have bike-to-bike. Good luck.
I have the Sena setup and from what I understand the new firmware update allows music streaming to both headsets. Additionally, you can get the base that swaps back and forth between ear buds and speakers. I'm going to be getting this soon as I would like to be able to hear my music on the bike and not have it cranked all the way up to overpower the wind noise. Like you I want to use earbuds to help deaden outside noise and hear the music, but have the convenience of the speakers for any other time.

I have the Sena setup and from what I understand the new firmware update allows music streaming to both headsets. Additionally, you can get the base that swaps back and forth between ear buds and speakers. I'm going to be getting this soon as I would like to be able to hear my music on the bike and not have it cranked all the way up to overpower the wind noise. Like you I want to use earbuds to help deaden outside noise and hear the music, but have the convenience of the speakers for any other time.
that would be very cool. What's the point of both rider and passenger having to carry 2 separate MP3 players, really ? Otherwise, the Sena seems like an equally great system. And I really like their dial control thing.

Do you and your pillion like the same music? My wife and I do not. So I like having separate sources. Just a thought.
Same situation here, but my gf often wonders why the fjr unexpectedly accelerates and runs at a spirited pace. Now that we have the share option, she can hear what I hear and feel the bike respond.

Do you and your pillion like the same music? My wife and I do not. So I like having separate sources. Just a thought.
Same situation here, but my gf often wonders why the fjr unexpectedly accelerates and runs at a spirited pace. Now that we have the share option, she can hear what I hear and feel the bike respond.
Just don't give her control of the music. What happens when Another One Bites the Dust comes on? lol