Sena SMH10R - Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that you will have to buy the Earbud adapter cable. It looks like there are no 3.5 mm sockets on the main unit and the only way to hook up is to unplug the speakers and plug in the Adapter.
SMH10R-Product-Details.jpg
I'm aware of the adapter cable as mentioned in post #1 but looking for alternatives. It seems that I may purchase a set of slim speakers to keep in the helmet and then cut off the large speakers from the wire as shown in your picture and solder in a 3.5mm fitting that looks something like this pictured below.

Then perhaps mount the input jack portion on the outside of my helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the "R" model, where do you stow the battery pack?

Here's the problems I see with this model:

1: What does the rider do with the battery pack? Sure don't wanna stash that thing inside a helmet.

2: The unit is set up to give preference to helmet speakers. Almost like earbuds was an afterthought. Figure if the helmet speakers are used, all the wires will tuck neatly into the helmet and not dangle. Except for maybe that battery. BUT...If the user uses earbuds, the speaker wire will have to hang down and account for the added pressure of the buds being pulled on by jackets, gloves etc. I wonder if that will cause the mic to be pulled out of place.

I'm not thrilled with the earbud input of the SMH-10, but as you can see in the last pic I posted up, avoiding problems is an easy fix. Hell, my little rubber cap is still in place. The base is solidly mounted to avoid movement, and the battery is self contained, so I don't have to find a place to put it.

Which one is better?? I have no idea. I know I like my SMH-10, but all I have seen of the SMH10-R is a couple of pictures, so my thoughts may be off base.

Edit: WTF is with the Forum software this week? Why did my unedited post show up FUBAR when I submitted it? This is not normal and was done from a desktop:

On the "R" model, where do you stow the battery pack?<br /><br />Here's the problems I see with this model:<br /><br />1: What does the rider do with the battery pack? Sure don't wanna stash that thing inside a helmet.<br /><br />2: The unit is set up to give preference to helmet speakers. Almost like earbuds was an afterthought. Figure if the helmet speakers are used, all the wires will tuck neatly into the helmet and not dangle. Except for maybe that battery. BUT...If the user uses earbuds, the speaker wire will have to hang down and account for the added pressure of the buds being pulled on by jackets, gloves etc. I wonder if that will cause the mic to be pulled out of place.<br /><br />I'm not thrilled with the earbud input of the SMH-10, but as you can see in the last pic I posted up, avoiding problems is an easy fix. Hell, my little rubber cap is still in place. The base is solidly mounted to avoid movement, and the battery is self contained, so I don't have to find a place to put it.<br /><br />Which one is better?? I have no idea. I know I like my SMH-10, but all I have seen of the SMH10-R is a couple of pictures, so my thoughts may be off base.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the "R" model, where do you stow the battery pack?<br /><br />Here's the problems I see with this model:<br /><br />1: What does the rider do with the battery pack? Sure don't wanna stash that thing inside a helmet.<br /><br />2: The unit is set up to give preference to helmet speakers. Almost like earbuds was an afterthought. Figure if the helmet speakers are used, all the wires will tuck neatly into the helmet and not dangle. Except for maybe that battery. BUT...If the user uses earbuds, the speaker wire will have to hang down and account for the added pressure of the buds being pulled on by jackets, gloves etc. I wonder if that will cause the mic to be pulled out of place.<br /><br />I'm not thrilled with the earbud input of the SMH-10, but as you can see in the last pic I posted up, avoiding problems is an easy fix. Hell, my little rubber cap is still in place. The base is solidly mounted to avoid movement, and the battery is self contained, so I don't have to find a place to put it.<br /><br />Which one is better?? I have no idea. I know I like my SMH-10, but all I have seen of the SMH10-R is a couple of pictures, so my thoughts may be off base.
You mount the battery to the back side of the helmet via included velcro (which gives you the ability to have a spare battery). And the add-on for earbuds was an afterthought for the R model. It was not orogonally an accessory.

I went with the R model because of it's low profile.