Sena SMH10R - Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanker

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So with the farkling that has begun on my 14 ES, I've started to investigate eliminating the re-fit of the Autocom system and going the Sena route.

At this point I have a few questions.

1. Is anyone using earbuds in place of the in-helmet speakers? If you are, are you using the $6.00 Sena coiled cord with the 3.5mm plug or something smaller of your own making? I don't like that big cord they are offering.

2. Can I get XM Radio from the Zumo 550 into the SMH10R? If so, will I still get phone through the GPS, GPS directions, MP3 stereo music from the Zumo? How about IPhone bluetooth music?

From a quick read of the manual for the SMH10R on-line it looks like you can pair the Iphone and the GPS as (2) seperate phones to the SMH10R.

I'm just not sure what to expect or what I'm going to have to give up if anything.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Todd

1. I'm using earbuds, but don't use a coiled cord. I plug my Etymotics straight into the 3.5mm plug on the SMH-A304 unit. I have the minimum amount of earbud cord ziptied to a mount on the back of the helmet and loose part tucked in the helmet. Pictures of my Shoei/Sena setup here.

2. Answer to the first part is a qualified "yes". I don't know the specifics of the Zumo or all the other things you want to integrate, but would offer that it can get complicated the more audio sources you have and even more complicated depending on the mode in which you connect them. Throw in the various vagaries of Bluetooth modes, available "channels", device interpretation of Bluetooth "standards", age, etc.....it may seem more like performing a Voodoo ritual. I finally found a 90% solution for my V1 & a 478 Garmin with XM Radio via SR-10....and sometimes kinda an iPhone via Bluetooth. Or if I accept my iPhone monopolizing everything....it seems really good at it.

I think both points have been talked about before on this forum (I know the latter has many times including this one thread) and bet you can find things by searching on sena site:fjrforum.com at Google. I've just found that finding a definitive answer for your particular situation is very unlikely. If you do and can translate it into a definitive manifesto though...we'd love to have one.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So with the farkling that has begun on my 14 ES, I've started to investigate eliminating the re-fit of the Autocom system and going the Sena route.
At this point I have a few questions.

1. Is anyone using earbuds in place of the in-helmet speakers? If you are, are you using the $6.00 Sena coiled cord with the 3.5mm plug or something smaller of your own making? I don't like that big cord they are offering.

2. Can I get XM Radio from the Zumo 550 into the SMH10R? If so, will I still get phone through the GPS, GPS directions, MP3 stereo music from the Zumo? How about IPhone bluetooth music?

From a quick read of the manual for the SMH10R on-line it looks like you can pair the Iphone and the GPS as (2) seperate phones to the SMH10R.

I'm just not sure what to expect or what I'm going to have to give up if anything.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Todd
1. I use the included speakers. they work fine and have decent sound quality. I also wear ear plugs.

2. Yes to all. The R model allows the connection to multiple devices. I have my Zumo connected as the "phone" and my iPhone connected as a "Media device". This allows me to connect my iPhone to both the Zumo and the R. iPhone music (Pandora Radio) goes straight to the R. iPhone phone calls go thru the Zumo to the R. Zumo mp3/directions/XM etc all go to the R.

I use the coiled cord because simply connecting my ear buds to the cheese-dick input will cause it to break very quickly. If you don't use the cord, you will have to do what Iggy did and tie it down so pressure is not on that connection. I use the coiled wire and also tie that down. I have gone through two or three bases. Each one had broken at the cheese-dick connector. My cord stays plugged in, and I have about an inch wrapped around the boom so there is absolutely no pressure on the connector. I zip tied the wire in place. I like the coiled wire like that because it gives me the ability to use both hands to plug my ear buds in and it does not mess with the connector.

My current favorite ear buds are some Sonys I got off Amazon, great sound and really comfortable. I have used it with the helmet speaks and earplugs. There is no comparison.

Nomally, I set up my phone to run through my Zumo. So my music, navigation and phone all go through they Zumo. The only things connected to my Sena are the Zumo and other riders. Remember, if you are running music from your phone to the Sena, the phone will take priority and you will not get ANY sound from your Zumo. Sometimes, when I don't care, I run my phone to the Sena for music and just leave the Zumo silent. Not sure if I could set the phone so the Zumo will come over as I have not fiddled with it enough. With this configuration, phone calls are more clear.

It will take some figuring out to decide how you like it, and it is glitchy. Apparently no more than any other blue tooth units. When it works, it works great, and worse case scenario, you have to reset the unit to stop the glitching. I carry the manual and an unfolded paper clip with me at all times.

Nomally, I set up my phone to run through my Zumo. So my music, navigation and phone all go through they Zumo. The only things connected to my Sena are the Zumo and other riders. Remember, if you are running music from your phone to the Sena, the phone will take priority and you will not get ANY sound from your Zumo. Sometimes, when I don't care, I run my phone to the Sena for music and just leave the Zumo silent. Not sure if I could set the phone so the Zumo will come over as I have not fiddled with it enough. With this configuration, phone calls are more clear.
Not true. I use my iPhone all the time (unless battery is dead and then i use the Zumo's built in MP3) for music and the GPS still interrupts the music for directions etc. As stated in my post above. You set the Zumo connection to the Sena as the "phone" and the iPhone connection as a "media Player". And I still get my phone calls thru the Zumo to the Sena.

Pair the Zumo as per Manual section 7.4.1

Pair your iPhone as per Manual Section 8.2

Not true. I use my iPhone all the time for music and the GPS still interrupts the music for directions etc. As stated in my post above. You set the Zumo connection to the Sena as the "phone" and the iPhone connection as a "media Player". And I still get my phone calls thru the Zumo to the Sena.
It's VOOODOO I tell you!
aikido.gif

You wanna write the definitive instruction set on that? If so, write specifically where you set the "zumo connection", choose "phone", and "media player"....is it in the Zumo, phone, Sena, Innertubes...etc.? You probably want to include what specific model of each thing you have and maybe even firmware of each.

Telling us what gear you're in when you do it, whether your bike has a functioning or defective side stand, and whether your idle is high or low might not be a bad idea either. ;)

Not true. I use my iPhone all the time for music and the GPS still interrupts the music for directions etc. As stated in my post above. You set the Zumo connection to the Sena as the "phone" and the iPhone connection as a "media Player". And I still get my phone calls thru the Zumo to the Sena.
It's VOOODOO I tell you!
aikido.gif

You wanna write the definitive instruction set on that? If so, write specifically where you set the "zumo connection", choose "phone", and "media player"....is it in the Zumo, phone, Sena, Innertubes...etc.? You probably want to include what specific model of each thing you have and maybe even firmware of each.

Telling us what gear you're in when you do it, whether your bike has a functioning or defective side stand, and whether your idle is high or low might not be a bad idea either.
wink.png
Sena SMh10R with latest non Beta Firmware

Zumo 550 with most recent updates and Zumo 390 with most recent updates

pair as stated in above posts

This allows the use of the Zumo's MP3/XM/Book reader/Directions/phone calls between Zumo and Sena as well as the iPhone for music. With both paired/connected at the same time. The phone will play music and if you get Zumo directions/phone call etc it over rides the iPhone. if you also pair your phone to the Zumo you can still receive/make phone calls thru the Zumo to the Sena.

Thanks guys, this is exactly the information I was hoping to get.

Matt, I did many searches on the forum and other areas on the web including the use of "Site: fjrforum.com" with many different key words and read over various threads.

I felt I still needed more recent feedback on the "R". I believe I've got that and hope Wifman is spot on in his assessment of my needs.

I'm still concerned with using my custom ear plugs with what HRZ calls the "cheese-dick" input. That seems worrysome.

I'm hoping there is additional input on this as the thread develops.

I did see this thread that may be an option that I'll put together and mount to my helmet some how.

https://support.senabluetooth.com/entries/23082708-Can-you-use-earbuds-with-the-new-SMH10R-

1. I'm using earbuds, but don't use a coiled cord. I plug my Etymotics straight into the 3.5mm plug on the SMH-A304 unit. I have the minimum amount of earbud cord ziptied to a mount on the back of the helmet and loose part tucked in the helmet. Pictures of my Shoei/Sena setup here.
2. Answer to the first part is a qualified "yes". I don't know the specifics of the Zumo or all the other things you want to integrate, but would offer that it can get complicated the more audio sources you have and even more complicated depending on the mode in which you connect them. Throw in the various vagaries of Bluetooth modes, available "channels", device interpretation of Bluetooth "standards", age, etc.....it may seem more like performing a Voodoo ritual. I finally found a 90% solution for my V1 & a 478 Garmin with XM Radio via SR-10....and sometimes kinda an iPhone via Bluetooth. Or if I accept my iPhone monopolizing everything....it seems really good at it.

I think both points have been talked about before on this forum (I know the latter has many times including this one thread) and bet you can find things by searching on sena site:fjrforum.com at Google. I've just found that finding a definitive answer for your particular situation is very unlikely. If you do and can translate it into a definitive manifesto though...we'd love to have one.
smile.png
Matt, thanks for sending me to your site to view your Shoei set up. I've got a Neotec so your write up and insight is very valuable and appreciated.

It's VOOODOO I tell you!
aikido.gif

Telling us what gear you're in when you do it, whether your bike has a functioning or defective side stand, and whether your idle is high or low might not be a bad idea either.
wink.png
Sena SMh10R with latest non Beta FirmwareZumo 550 with most recent updates and Zumo 390 with most recent updates

pair as stated in above posts

This allows the use of the Zumo's MP3/XM/Book reader/Directions/phone calls between Zumo and Sena as well as the iPhone for music. With both paired/connected at the same time. The phone will play music and if you get Zumo directions/phone call etc it over rides the iPhone. if you also pair your phone to the Zumo you can still receive/make phone calls thru the Zumo to the Sena.
In what configuration is your Iphone paired with the Zumo, as phone only?

That's why I said I haven't fiddled with it enough. I think I can pair my phone as "media only" and stop the override. Just haven't cared enough to try it.

BTW, that function is through my phone and has nothing to do with the Sena.

AND here:
sena_smh10_helmet_clamp_kit_for_earbuds_detail.jpg

See the little input sticking out the back? The little rubber cap breaks off and if any constant pressure is put on that piece of junk sticking out, it will break and hang by the wires. Eventually, those will break. That's why we loop them and tie them to keep the slack back there and keep anything from pulling on it.

I really wish Sena would step up and correct that. It's my biggest complaint about an otherwise well built unit.

The SMH10R appears to be a different animal in terms of the connector compared to yours Zilla. I don't know if it is better or worse. Looks better designed though.

Didn't snap till just now that we were talking about two different pieces of equipment. Yup...maybe they fixed the earbud input on the R.

The SMH10R appears to be a different animal in terms of the connector compared to yours Zilla. I don't know if it is better or worse. Looks better designed though.
Aha..one letter makes all the difference! I thought the OP was talking about the SMH-10 (with a dash and sans "R") and thought this picture was the SMH5. My mistake.

Ignore most of what I said.

I like the low profile of the R but the big ole jog dial of the original is so easy to use even with thick gloves on.

And i use the included speakers - much cleaner, easier to put on, no cheese-dick, and sounds good enough. I have to turn me to max so battery life is less than 8 hours but its good enough for commuting, and I ride with a power cord to the unit when on longer trips.