Sena SR10 and SMH10 updates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russperry

Reaction score
I have posted a few times on the Sena SMH10 (which I think is awesome), but also posted a couple of times about the SR10 (not so awesome), but wanted to provide an update here.

So far the firmware for both units is being updated relatively regularly. I've got version 4 on the SMH10, and version 1.2 now on the SR10 (updated this weekend).

In my previous complaint about the SR10, the only way I had found to successfully link my iPhone AND the SR10 simultaneously was to make a solid wire connection from the iPhone audito output jack to the SR10, with a final bluetooth link between SR10 and headset. This seemed to work as far as the phone connection was concerned, but the penalty was horrible music fidelity, as the SR10 only transmits in mono (and terrible mono at that).

Through the new firmware updates, it looks like there has been a solution provided. Now maybe this was there all along, but I thought I had checked every type of connection and order without success.

The thing that makes this checking easier now is that in F/W 4.0 for the headset, there is a nice sounding female voice that tells you what kind of bluetooth profile you're being connected with. This did not exist in previous versions and all you heard was a couple of tones.

For example, when you turn on your headset now you hear "Hello", then once the iPhone connects you get two separate messages - "media connected", and "phone connected". On the other hand, when the SR10 connects you hear only the message about the phone connection. That got me to thinking that if you take a more careful approach in the order you turn things on, that maybe you can get stereo music from the iPhone to coexist with the SR10.

So here's how and what I successfully connected this weekend:

1) Make sure your iPhone bluetooth is OFF prior to turning on the SMH10.

2) Turn on the SMH10 (you will hear "hello")

3) Turn on the SR10 (you will hear "phone connected")

4) Turn on the bluetooth on the iPhone - you will hear "media connected" but will NOT get "phone connected" (sometimes you have to select the SMH10 profile from the iPhone menu to get the connection)

5) I have not tested full functionalilty yet in terms of using the GMRS radio connected to the SR10, but it should work. But I can confirm that the music and voice commands from GPS packages in the iPhone do work in full stereo.

So in this setup, what should be functional or not is:

1) Anything connected to SR10 should work (still need to confirm radio function)

2) Audio from iPhone in full stereo mode

3) Cell phone will NOT work

I'm thinking that this mode of setup is really only for longer range travel when in groups where not everyone is on the Sena protocols. In those situations I'm not really too concerned about using a cell phone anyway.

If traveling in groups where everyone has the Sena, or in normal solo riding, the SR10 and GMRS are out of the sequence and I just use the iPhone and SMH10 with full music and cell phone operation.

That's it - better than I had previously experienced, but a few verification tests still to follow.

I'd be interested in any other feedback to see what other's have found.

cheers

With the SMH10 and update 4.0 I've FINALLY been able to pair the Sena to the [Android] phone using AD2P (media only), the phone to the Zumo using HFP, and then Zumo to Sena using HFP (phone only). I've got navtiagtion prompts music, etc.

Any time I tried this with the pre-4.0 updates it would sort of work until I got rolling and the media would pause every two seconds.

I have posted a few times on the Sena SMH10 (which I think is awesome), but also posted a couple of times about the SR10 (not so awesome), but wanted to provide an update he

So here's how and what I successfully connected this weekend:

1) Make sure your iPhone bluetooth is OFF prior to turning on the SMH10.

2) Turn on the SMH10 (you will hear "hello")

3) Turn on the SR10 (you will hear "phone connected")

4) Turn on the bluetooth on the iPhone - you will hear "media connected" but will NOT get "phone connected" (sometimes you have to select the SMH10 profile from the iPhone menu to get the connection)

5) I have not tested full functionalilty yet in terms of using the GMRS radio connected to the SR10, but it should work. But I can confirm that the music and voice commands from GPS packages in the iPhone do work in full stereo.

So in this setup, what should be functional or not is:

1) Anything connected to SR10 should work (still need to confirm radio function)

2) Audio from iPhone in full stereo mode

3) Cell phone will NOT wor

cheers
Hi. I am seeing the same thing with my HTC incredible (android). The literature seems to indicate I should be able to connect the phone to the sr10 but so far nada.

Fred