Sensational Autumn Season

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
Highlights of the fall season in the Southern Appalachian mountains. Is there little wonder why riding in Autumn is the most rewarding & enjoyable?

• Blue Ridge Parkway
  • Granfather Mountain
  • Linville Gorge
  • Glen Falls
  • Crabtree Falls
  • Little Switzerland
  • The Tanawha Trail
  • Wayah Bald Overlook
  • Whiteside mountain

N_zps1f5174d0.jpg

O_zps3210d12a.jpg

M_zps9f94869f.jpg

L_zps21ce6378.jpg

P_zpse11de6ca.jpg

H_zps5445a0c7.jpg

G_zpsfe4f6f00.jpg

J_zps148a30ad.jpg

B_zps20b9251e.jpg

K_zpsc5e81ca4.jpg

F_zps1601be08.jpg

E_zpsd429b6e2.jpg

A_zps1cf69acf.jpg

C_zpsf32bf84d.jpg

D_zps85c8e8da.jpg

I_zps1f602caf.jpg

Q_zps394962de.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
GR, you are awesome! You also suck by the way.

If I had just 1% of your talent...

Thank you for sharing this. Fall colors just don't happen like that in South Louisiana.

I'm feeling a bit like a broken record when responding to your photo essays, but... thanks again GR! Beautiful photography as usual. You certainly do have a good eye, and apparently some pretty good equipment based on the final results.

Autumn is probably the "favorite season" of the vast majority of us humans, at least in the eastern US anyway. Everything feels just so much better in the fall. Perhaps the one downer is the melancholy of knowing what lies looming ahead (ugly winter). But I suspect that is partly what instills an increased sense of urgency and prompts us to scurry about in preparation, and opens our eyes more fully to the full enjoyment of the season?

You've captured all of that quite nicely. Thanks for sharing.

PS - I look at places like those you've captured and wonder to myself: "Why exactly do people live in cities?"

BTW - Glad to see you are still on Earth. That gave me a chuckle.
wink.png

Absolutely superb pictures. The most beautiful country on the east coast, IMHO, is even more beautiful when the fall foliage peaks. You did an outstanding job capturing that peak, thanks.

PS - I look at places like those you've captured and wonder to myself: "Why exactly do people live in cities?"
Me too. Well we know the answer...mostly. Jobs. If not for that or if I could take my job with me I'd move in the heart of these area's that I'm always riding in. That being said I wonder if I'd take it for granted after awhile and not appreciate it as much if I did move there & this was in my backyard? Perhaps it's best only to visit? Screw that...I'd move if I could! At least it's only a long day ride to view these areas. I really want to get up there one more time next week before it's past peak (already is at the highest elevations).

Me too. Well we know the answer...mostly. Jobs. If not for that or if I could take my job with me I'd move in the heart of these area's that I'm always riding in. That being said I wonder if I'd take it for granted after awhile and not appreciate it as much if I did move there & this was in my backyard? Perhaps it's best only to visit? Screw that...I'd move if I could! At least it's only a long day ride to view these areas. I really want to get up there one more time next week before it's past peak (already is at the highest elevations).
Not to follow this tangent too far off topic, but: Yes, jobs.

However it's living in those heavily populated areas, with the attendant higher cost of living that makes those high paying jobs necessary, right?

And then, even after people retire they stay in the metro areas because they are "used to it," and have friends and family there. The latter is what keeps us as close to Metro Boston as we are now (~45 miles out): family. Mothers to be exact. Otherwise I would move way the hell into the countryside.

And then, even after people retire they stay in the metro areas because they are "used to it," and have friends and family there. The latter is what keeps us as close to Metro Boston as we are now (~45 miles out): family. Mothers to be exact. Otherwise I would move way the hell into the countryside.
I live 60 miles from Atlanta out in the country with cows across the street. It gives me that country feel while only being a hour from all that the city has to offer. That being said I would be much happier maybe 15 mins outside of a quaint small mountain town instead surrounded by peaks & valleys. That is where I'm retiring and if I can help it a lot sooner than that hopefully.

Family? Yes many might have to stay close to aging relatives or parents to look out for them & that's commendable. But others "choose" to stay by family because they are not independent enough to live more than a hour away from them regardless of their age. Usually its the wife/woman that feels this way...sorry ladies. Fortunately for me & my wife my aging folks live 5 states away and her mom is down in Florida. Living by family has zero impact on our lives or our life decisions. Living by family can be a blessing & a curse all wrapped into one...or so I've heard. lol

We've got 4 kids ourselves. We want to raise them to be independent and go blaze their own life trail. If that takes them to Colorado, New York, California or Japan then we say go for it! People got to live their own lives and do what makes them happy. Life is too short to live by others set of rules.

btw I rather enjoy intelligent meaningful conversations like this anyways.

When I first moved here over 14 years ago, my town was a little foothill town with cow pastures across the freeway which is about 5 minutes away and horse pastures near my house. That has changed over the past 14 years as this town has grown leaps and bounds in those years. The horse pastures are gone, but the cow pastures and countryside across the freeway still remain. Fortunately my house still happens to be near some federally protected lands, with big old Oak trees and wet lands, so it is still a quiet suburbia neighborhood.

It is a very well planned town and the city does the best it can to beautify the streets and plant trees and other flora along all streets, which makes it much less a paved over concrete jungle than most. I have enjoyed life in this suburbia, I am close to everything and I mean everything, work is 5 minutes away, so is the gym, so is the doc if I ever needed to see him, so are the groceries, so is the library, so are the movie and performing arts theaters, and so is the shopping (my least favorite thing to do). I like the sheer convenience of my day to day life, I like how it gives me more time to pursue my interests, because I am spending much less time on chores and commutes.

Now, if I moved to the countryside, I am sure all that would change, not sure I am up for that at the moment. I have found my sweet spot for now and I am still 10-15 minutes ride away from some great foothill roads which lead to even more epic motorcycling in the Sierra's.

I have found my sweet spot for now and I am still 10-15 minutes ride away from some great foothill roads which lead to even more epic motorcycling in the Sierra's.
There is nothing wrong with that setup! Sounds like a pretty good situation for everyday living yet close to nature as well. In a way that is ideal, especially if you have to work & can't retire or aren't independently wealthy. That fact that you can be in S. Lake Tahoe in 90 minutes...I don't feel sorry for ya!
no.gif

10-15 yrs ago moving to a more remote mountain area would not of sounded great to me. But as you get older your mindset changes & what once sounding unappealing, now is the exact thing you hope for. Life is funny like that.

As always I find your photography stunning. Looking through your ride reports and accompanying pictures brightens often dull and boring days. Thank you for taking the time and energy to share these things with those of us who can't get to these places.

When I first moved here over 14 years ago, my town was a little foothill town with cow pastures across the freeway which is about 5 minutes away and horse pastures near my house. That has changed over the past 14 years as this town has grown leaps and bounds in those years. The horse pastures are gone, but the cow pastures and countryside across the freeway still remain. Fortunately my house still happens to be near some federally protected lands, with big old Oak trees and wet lands, so it is still a quiet suburbia neighborhood.
It is a very well planned town and the city does the best it can to beautify the streets and plant trees and other flora along all streets, which makes it much less a paved over concrete jungle than most. I have enjoyed life in this suburbia, I am close to everything and I mean everything, work is 5 minutes away, so is the gym, so is the doc if I ever needed to see him, so are the groceries, so is the library, so are the movie and performing arts theaters, and so is the shopping (my least favorite thing to do). I like the sheer convenience of my day to day life, I like how it gives me more time to pursue my interests, because I am spending much less time on chores and commutes.

Now, if I moved to the countryside, I am sure all that would change, not sure I am up for that at the moment. I have found my sweet spot for now and I am still 10-15 minutes ride away from some great foothill roads which lead to even more epic motorcycling in the Sierra's.
+1 as we are almost neighbors - i live a bit further up the hill - but almost identical situation - i cant believe it took me 10 years to get a bike and explore - but loving every minute of it
GR - i shared your post with a colleague who grew up in that neck of the woods and she said how homesick she felt, but loved them thanks