Serveral Concerns???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a couple of concerns starting to creep up and not sure what to do!!! I have a 06 ae and I am begining to hear a tick towards the lower side of the engine RH. Also with the bike fully warm my rpm was up to 1100rpm in idle... I have almost 14000kms on it and not sure what should be done! o2 sensor? spk plugs? a throttle sync was done at the last service and it felt as if it had lost power. Any ideas or has anyone had simular problems???

1100 RPM is exactly correct for warm idle.

RH noise brings cam chain to mind, but 14000 km is pretty soon for anything there.

1100 RPM is exactly correct for warm idle.
RH noise brings cam chain to mind, but 14000 km is pretty soon for anything there.
1100 rpm is correct? seems alittle fast to me but I will believe you.!!! I do ride it agressively (hard accelleration) and high revs. Can almost feel the tick in the handle bars (maybe just being paramoid). Power has seemed to drop off since the sync...related?

Dazed,

If the shop did the TBS, it may have not been done right. I would check it myself and look at the Plugs & Wires (and those testy ground connections).

Hope it all works out for you.

The noise is like a "tick", not a bunch of bolts rolling around in a bucket, correct?

If so, not sure why it would "tick". Does it change with engine RPM (get louder, keep time with engine, noise goes away etc)?

BTW - 1100RPM is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.....1100rpm is correct.

To0 many people think the bike should have an idle speed like a car, 750-850rpm, but you gotta remember, a bike doesn't have a heavy-ass 100 pounds worth of flywheel and clutch/or torque converter to smooth out combustion pulses and give the motor enough inertia to keep spinning at low revs, hence the need for a bit more idle rpm on motorcycles.

1100rpm is WELL documented as nominal for the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
The noise is like a "tick", not a bunch of bolts rolling around in a bucket, correct?
If so, not sure why it would "tick". Does it change with engine RPM (get louder, keep time with engine, noise goes away etc)?

I would say it is like a exhaust tick on the RH side about mid engine. I have heard it increase with rpm to about 3400. then it is gone..It doesn't seem to keep time as it is not a consistant tick..? (no rythm to it)!

It could be a CCT making the noise. Mine failed very early, but it only made noise at idle.

Here is a CCT thread of my 07 that failed.

1100 is normal for an A model, and that is what mine is. I don't know but an AE night be able to go to 1000 without the fear of stalling when letting clutch out. Although when it first comes off of cold idle it is pretty low even when set to 1100 hot.

Good luck; A.C.

The noise is like a "tick", not a bunch of bolts rolling around in a bucket, correct?If so, not sure why it would "tick". Does it change with engine RPM (get louder, keep time with engine, noise goes away etc)?

I would say it is like a exhaust tick on the RH side about mid engine. I have heard it increase with rpm to about 3400. then it is gone..It doesn't seem to keep time as it is not a consistant tick..? (no rythm to it)!
Hmmm. This is getting strange. Most CCT's have a low RPM or basically at idle noisy cam chain sound, it goes away as RPM is increased. A tick that has no rhythm and lasts into about 3400RPM, and is not contestant, has me stumped.
Others thoughts....???

It could be a CCT making the noise. Mine failed very early, but it only made noise at idle. Here is a CCT thread of my 07 that failed.

1100 is normal for an A model, and that is what mine is. I don't know but an AE night be able to go to 1000 without the fear of stalling when letting clutch out. Although when it first comes off of cold idle it is pretty low even when set to 1100 hot.

Good luck; A.C.
I followed your thread...the sounds that it describes almost seems close to what mine is experiencing! there at idle, seems to only come on when temp is up, and goes away with rpm applied.

The noise is like a "tick", not a bunch of bolts rolling around in a bucket, correct?If so, not sure why it would "tick". Does it change with engine RPM (get louder, keep time with engine, noise goes away etc)?

Hmmm. This is getting strange. Most CCT's have a low RPM or basically at idle noisy cam chain sound, it goes away as RPM is increased. A tick that has no rhythm and lasts into about 3400RPM, and is not contestant, has me stumped.
Others thoughts....???
Engine warn, at idle there is a tick, the tick does not have a rythm! The CCT have you ever heard one ticking? Is it on the right side about mid engine?

Others thoughts....???
Engine warn, at idle there is a tick, the tick does not have a rythm! The CCT have you ever heard one ticking? Is it on the right side about mid engine?
The cam chain is on the right side, mid engine. When the CCT becomes ineffective, the chain becomes loose and makes a grumbling/rattling noise. If you ever heard a hobbyist's rock polisher running, that's the sound.