Shad vs. Givi Top Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my second dealing with Givi customer service, I think I'm sold.

Shad, here I come!
Which trunk are you getting from Shad? Did you order it yet? Are you using the Givi rack mount or the Shad rack mount?
Ordered up the sh50 with the shad mount. I'll keep my eye out for a good deal on a used Givi rack mount and may pick one up if I can be fast enough. Mainly, I just need to haul my laptop bag back and forth to work so the shad mount will work just fine.

Ordered up the sh50 with the shad mount. I'll keep my eye out for a good deal on a used Givi rack mount and may pick one up if I can be fast enough. Mainly, I just need to haul my laptop bag back and forth to work so the shad mount will work just fine.
Ok cool. I think you'll really like it. There very well made. For just general light-med weight storage I think there is no issue whatsoever. Filling it to capacity with heavier gear and strapping a tent & camping supplies on top of the box...I'd say you need the givi rack mount.

I'd have to be hauling a ton of stuff to need the top of the box. The back seat will hold plenty of extras that won't fit in the box.

Traveling with the wife you say? LOL. She's flat out told me that just about anything over an hour and I can count her out. She likes to ride, but only likes short doses. I've been informed in no uncertain terms that she'll never moto-travel with me. Oh, and she's not a fan of camping either, so provided I could talk her into an overnight trip, we'll be staying at a hotel. And she's a tomboy, so she never travels with a huge amount of stuff either.

SO....yea, I'd have to have a whole ton of crapola for just me to need to use the top of the case. I managed a four day trip to Birmingham in 2004 on a Suzuki TLR with just a tankbag and a backpack, and that included my DSLR gear! I prefer to travel as light as possible, and the FJR with a topbox will hold plenty for me. Heck, I can fit more on my FJR than I can in the boot of my MINI Cooper. :D

The only time I have used a top box is travelling two up. If I'm going on a long trip solo, I sometimes bring a Duffle to sit on the passenger seat.

I have to admit, the top box I borrowed recently on the 2-up trip was very much appreciated. GIVI E52.

Traveling with the wife you say? LOL. She's flat out told me that just about anything over an hour and I can count her out. She likes to ride, but only likes short doses. I've been informed in no uncertain terms that she'll never moto-travel with me. Oh, and she's not a fan of camping either, so provided I could talk her into an overnight trip, we'll be staying at a hotel.
This kind of stuff make me realize how "weird" my wife is. Weird in a good way. We'll do 500-600 mile dayrides and she's always ready for more and never complains. I think she can actually ride longer than I can. Those type of woman that love to ride seem to be in relatively short supply.

I prefer to travel as light as possible, and the FJR with a topbox will hold plenty for me.
+1

Some guys are total pack rats...I'm the complete opposite of that. Did a simple dayride with a guy this year and and he was riding solo, had his saddle bags on, top box on, tank bag on and was also wearing a huge backpack! :blink: I don't get it. I assume on a overnight trip he trailers a U-Haul behind his bike. How much gear do you freaking need???

The only time I have used a top box is travelling two up. If I'm going on a long trip solo, I sometimes bring a Duffle to sit on the passenger seat.

I have to admit, the top box I borrowed recently on the 2-up trip was very much appreciated. GIVI E52.
I think you just summed it up. You don't use a topcase because you don't own a topcase. If you got your own you'd prefer a waterproof, lockable rear storage space in lieu of a soft duffle bag bungeed to your rear seat. Go get yourself one dude!

Last edited by a moderator:

I use my bike for commuting and as a sysadmin my laptop goes where I go. A topcase is a very handy, and most importantly, waterproof, way to tote the laptop back and forth. I've missed mine that I had on my FZ1.

This kind of stuff make me realize how "weird" my wife is. Weird in a good way. We'll do 500-600 mile dayrides and she's always ready for more and never complains. I think she can actually ride longer than I can. Those type of woman that love to ride seem to be in relatively short supply.
Great that you have one of those. I have to say, it's not so much that she doesn't want to do these things (aside from camping) but more that it's difficult for her. It's been one year since her back surgery and she still hasn't ridden my new FJR due to the fact that it's not the smoothest of rides back there. Most of us don't notice the little bumps and things but for someone with extreme back pain, they feel every single jolt. I'm looking forward to her being able to ride again, but we both know that trips will be out of the question.

I've never had any issues with my Givi E52 being unsecured or anything. It wasn't shaky on the mount, wasn't acting like it was gonna fly off, and in fact has never been close to removing itself. I also don't get the freeway wobble that so many others have talked about, but I don't know why I don't and some do.

I have a V46 Givi and its very secure to the rack, and quality is pretty good, not as nice as the BMW cases I have used but still descent. However; without a passenger the bike wobbles while on the freeway. If I take the case off or add a passenger the bike is fine. I should note that I dont have my suspension firm enough yet so that could contribute to the issue.

Gah! SH50 has been on backorder! Got my notification today that my order is being processed finally!

My factory top case and rack have failed and I'm in the market for a replacement. Frankly, the "flying saucer" look of the Givi and Shad cases doesn't appeal to me, so I was looking at adventure-touring-type squarer boxes.

I see that Trax recommends/bases its sale the Givi rack. Their recommended fitting for the FJR is a Trax plate on a Givi rack. Unless I find something else, it looks like that's the way to go.

I have an older GIVI on my Vee Strom and a SHAD SH-50 on my FJR. The SHAD is a much better made box. Easy open, easy off / on. I think the SHAD is a better looking trunk.