Shaft drive gear oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably in the wrong forum but maybe it will get where it needs to be. I just noticed in the bin o facts for the 06 thru ? that the shaft oil and part No. was not as per Yamaha web site.

The shaft oil for the FJR1300 and the V Max is "Shaft Drive Oil Exclusive", Part No. ACC-SHFTD-EX-00. I don't know when this changed or what the difference is from the old shaft drive oil but it is double the price/qt. and is specifically for the FJR and V Max.

This question has been asked multiple times and the answer is always the same....any GL-5 rated oil meets the technical requirements. If buying Yamaha's very expensive shaft oil makes you feel better than that is what you should do but there is a reason most Yamaha dealers do NOT stock the oil......it's because they do not use it on the FJRs they service.

Sometimes it helps to know the proper search terms. "Whale Jizz" should get you what you are looking for.

I know I know...trust me on this one.
biggrin.png

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=whale+jizz+site:fjrforum.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha...Do like a ton of us do. Buy the 90wt Mobile 1 synthetic. A quart will last you 4 changes and it's not expensive.

Ha...Do like a ton of us do. Buy the 90wt Mobile 1 synthetic. A quart will last you 4 changes and it's not expensive.
That is exactly what I use in my Venture. I just thought it odd to have a special gear oil for the FJR and V Max. I guess MamaYama wasn't making enough money on the regular gear oil. $22/qt is a little steep even if you can get almost 5 oil changes out of it.

Pretty sure there aren't nor have there been any discussions on this subject here so......

I procured a gallon of Valvoline 80/90 gear lube a few years back from an ex employer.. Damned if it did a fine job protecting the sensitive Dana Eaton diff's in the semi's, over a million miles in the fleet with nary a failure.

Figured it would work fine in the V Star and the FJR. an by golly it did.

But if ya feel the need to be a cool kid, spend a wad of cash on an unneeded commodity. It'll make ya popular here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some of the MamaYama gear oil when I bought my '13 a few weeks ago. But only because I got it for less than $10 (dealer gave me a discount on anything else I purcahsed that day-same day I bought the bike), otherwise I'd be going to AutoZone for it.

Pretty sure there aren't nor have there been any discussions on this subject here so......
I procured a gallon of Valvoline 80/90 gear lube a few years back from an ex employer.. Damned if it did a fine job protecting the sensitive Dana Eaton diff's in the semi's, over a million miles in the fleet with nary a failure.

But if ya feel the need to be a cool kid, spend a wad of cash on an unneeded commodity. It'll make ya popular here.
I will "feel the need" for the next 39 months while my YES plan is in effect for my FJR.....and continue with the Mob/syn in the RSV that the warranty has expired on. I was not my intent to start some NEGOS. The service mgr at the Yamaha dealer didn't know that there was some special GOS for the FJR and had to order it so I thought some folks on this forum would not know about it and appreciate the post. AND THE BIN O FACTS SHOULD HAVE THE CORRECT GEAR OIL IN IT...... That's is my 2 cents.

I will "feel the need" for the next 39 months while my YES plan is in effect for my FJR.....and continue with the Mob/syn in the RSV that the warranty has expired on. I was not my intent to start some NEGOS. The service mgr at the Yamaha dealer didn't know that there was some special GOS for the FJR and had to order it so I thought some folks on this forum would not know about it and appreciate the post. AND THE BIN O FACTS SHOULD HAVE THE CORRECT GEAR OIL IN IT...... That's is my 2 cents.
Per 2013 FJR owners manual:

"Recommended final gear oil:

Yamaha genuine shaft drive gear oil

SAE 80 API GL-5

Oil Quantity:

0.20 L (0.21 US qt, 0.18 Imp.qt)"

Recommended does not mean REQUIRED. Therefor any gear oil meeting the specifications of SAE 80 API GL-5 is fine.

No vehicle manufacturer can void your warranty for not using their Branded Lubricants so long as the lubricants used meet the specifications. Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975. This is exactly why the manuals state RECOMMENDED and NOT Required.

What exactly are "NEGOS"? How do you cook them?

If that very very mild and restrained post from Bust got under your skin I feel sorry for you. You cannot know how easy you got off with this thread and its much discussed subject.

As for this statement: " AND THE BIN O FACTS SHOULD HAVE THE CORRECT GEAR OIL IN IT" our Bin O Facts section is pretty well done. Some folks worked very hard to get it where it is and they put the right info there. Very seldom is there a real mistake made there.

I will give you credit for actually looking in the Bin O Facts. Well done on that. If only you had continued your search...

Wlfman.....I sure wish my owners manual gave the specs on the shaft drive gear oil but sadly it only gives a part number which has been changed, which was the reason for my OP. BTW, 2 of the 3 Yamaha shaft drive gear oils are GL-4,GL-5 rated and specifically NOT for FJR. Go figure, eh???

Redfish.... Bust will have to try a little harder than that to get under this 71 year old skin. I have been a member here going on 2 years now and read a lot of posts. Bust and a lot of these other guys post a lot of funny stuff. There is obviously some humerous posters here. I read these forums because of the interest in learning about my bikes and I have found there are some extremely knowledgeable people who are willing to spend the time to share that bike knowledge and I have gleaned a whole lot of info on this and some other forums especially for my Venture since I have had it a lot longer.

Regarding the BOF, I have read it more than once. It has a wealth of info and I can appreciate that it took a lot of time to compile all that info in a post. I don't believe my mind was completely in gear when I said it had the wrong gear oil in in. The part number has changed and I thought whoever is the moderator of the BOF would want to change that. Again, my intent was not to cook up some NEGOS but it appears that happened.

Thanks for NOT telling me what kind of gear oil you use.

NEGOS=Never Ending Gear Oil Shat