Sheep skin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one, butt ended up putting it on my FZ6, cuz that seats a whole lot less comfortable than the FJR's. As I recall, I got their recommended size, and it fit fine. It does help w/ butt fatigue, butt, also makes the seat more slippery; at least w/ my Aerostich. Seems well worth the reasonable price, you should try it. The Alaska Leather folks are very nice 'n helpful.

Years ago while riding through Idaho with a sheep skin on my FJR a local said he was glad to see that I brought my girlfriend along
rolleyes.gif
. It did improve the stock seat but the real answer is Russell.

Get a Russell which fits your butt.

I bought a used Russell on the forum - because I am a cheap-skate. Which was the wrong thing to do.

The seller was the same height and weight as me - and I am no fat-ass in any shape or form, but what I didn't realize from the seat pictures - was that seller was a gone-ass. As in ass-less, no-ass....

So - the Russell ended up being not as comfortable as it could have been.

In retrospect - if this helps you or anyone-else reading this - if you are going to buy a used Russell - pay attention to the seller's height, but you might also consider buying the seat from a seller who is fatter than you are!

Like I mentioned, I have a laam which is a great seat but none are comfortable for back to back 500 mile days. I bought a front and rear alaskan sheep skin for a bit of added comfort. Going from S Ga to seattle next month so I wanted a little extra padding.

s.ga.rider posted: Like I mentioned, I have a laam which is a great seat but none are comfortable for back to back 500 mile days. I bought a front and rear alaskan sheep skin for a bit of added comfort. Going from S Ga to seattle next month so I wanted a little extra padding.
Hope it works for you. I've got a Laam that was ever so comfy for four consecutive days of 800+ miles. If the discomfort is not actually in/on your ass, have you tried riser plates or pulling back your handlebars?

There's a great old thread around here somewhere ... aaahhhh yes. Here it is. (Forgive me; it's on a Beemer website.) Cliff Notes version:

Keynotes to the Master Yoda Riding Position are:

• Bend at the HIPS, not waist
  • Maintain a SLIGHT arch to the back, not allowing it ever to "curve"
  • Move the butt AFT so the weight is OVER YOUR FEET.
  • Apply pressure to the feet, using the THIGH muscles, so you are sitting "lightly"
  • ELBOWS BENT, now DROP the hands to the bars.
One needs to move fore and aft on the seat to make ALL those things happen. Except for the Hip Bend, they are NOT Absolutes, but rather RANGES. Move about until you can see ALL of them are happening to some extent -- and NO weight is being placed on the handlebars.

Do this when the bike is STATIONARY. Sit on the stopped bike. TAKE TIME TO do this. PRACTICE. LEARN.

In fact, one must TEACH their own body. This is called TRAINING. You'll notice all GOOD training is done by ABSTRACT EXERCISES, not "just running off to the playing field and doing what you HEARD."

LEARN to press down with the feet. Then, when riding, CHECK that's what you are actually doing. You SHOULD be able to lift your butt off the seat at a millisecond's notice: As when knowingly approaching a severe bump in the road.

LEARN to bend at the hips. Do it BOTH ways, and show YOURSELF that you CAN operate the body differently. BE WILLING to touch that frigging gas tank. SOME people are incredibly fearful of touching a gas tank -- It's almost laughable. WHO SAID you shouldn't touch the gas tank? (Afraid of scratches? Poo, poo. Get some clear tank protector.) Better to think "The gas tank is my FRIEND." It WILL be some day when you are six hundred miles into your ride and still two hundred miles from your destination. OR, while you are LEARNING to ride this bike and may be only an hour or so into your ride. Your body is NOT YET... TRAINED to operate that way.

FLOP YOUR ELBOWS. PROVE you have your weight supported, mostly by your feet, and by your butt. Do it while riding too. Even after 25,000 miles on a sport touring bike, I STILL end up leaning onto the bars somewhat and need to readjust my position.

For me, it was adopting the posture of a basketball player on defense: knees bent, hips bent, back straight, weight over my feet, hands out wide and just below the shoulder. Remember, sit up straight!

Post up photos and a ride report, please! I like seeing scenery from elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
No tech day and yes the laam seat is great. I used it last year on a 6k mile ride but like I said, I havent found any to be comfortable all day every day. Even a car seat is not.

Last edited by a moderator: