Shifting the 06A without using the clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pronomian

Reaction score
I was speed shifting the bike thinking that was making the shifting smoother. I found out tonight that I can shift the bike out of 1st to 2d, 2d to 3d without using the clutch. It is smooth as silk, both upshifts and down shifts. Anyone else notice this? I know this can't be good for the bike doing this, but it sure is strange, no clunk, just a smooth shift.

Mike

Welcome to motorcycling. Ain't finding this shit out wonderful? Here's another news flash: you can do clutchless shifts from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, too. Really. And dcarver will tell you the bike has reverse to boot!

Welcome to motorcycling. Ain't finding this shit out wonderful? Here's another news flash: you can do clutchless shifts from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, too. Really. And dcarver will tell you the bike has reverse to boot!
Only special factory-ordered FJR's have reverse gear. All the others are deficient... :blink: Glad I saw the special check-off box on my order form.. :rolleyes:

Only special factory-ordered FJR's have reverse gear. All the others are deficient... :blink: Glad I saw the special check-off box on my order form.. :rolleyes:
Reverse gear option!?! Damn, there's us Canucks getting pucked again :p

Try it with a yammy cruiser, don't think you'll get that warm a fuzzy feeling after you shift without using the clutch.

Mike

Anyone else notice this? I know this can't be good for the bike doing this, but it sure is strange, no clunk, just a smooth shift.
Mike
as long as it is "smooth as silk" you should do no harm. the synchros and gears on the shafts are meshing beautifully...shift away. you have found one of the cool things about well built trannys. If the rpms on the meshing gears and sychros are correct a clutch is really superfluos. The clutch only disengages the power supply from the transmission so the gears can find their correct relative speeds and not slam into each other. I am sure this is a bit oversimplified and will be corrected but no grinding no fault I say.

BTW...have no idea about a reverse gear...Never looked for one. But I am wondering if we could add one more class to the reverse gear race down Skyways driveway. So far we seem to have the novice class and the expert class. I think we need the Pillion Class with the Pillion facing backwards yelling instructions to the pilot. I will be in the bleachers taking bets. I love my wife but she knows not left from right. :D

there are no synchros in motorcycle transmissions. They are a "constant mesh" type trans.

I don't downshift much without the clutch but once I am moving I hardly ever use the clutch on upshifts unless in heavy traffic. Just a slight "back off" of the throttle and snick, into the next gear we go.

Been doing it this way since the early 70's and never ever had a trans problem on any bike.

Now, "speed shifting" under load is a different matter than doing a slight blip on the throttle to unload the gears when upshifting. It is possible to damage the trans by missing a speed shift.

Some will try to tell you shifting without the clutch will damage the trans but there are too many of us who have been doing it for to many years with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was speed shifting the bike thinking that was making the shifting smoother. I found out tonight that I can shift the bike out of 1st to 2d, 2d to 3d without using the clutch. It is smooth as silk, both upshifts and down shifts. Anyone else notice this? I know this can't be good for the bike doing this, but it sure is strange, no clunk, just a smooth shift.
Mike
There is somthing else I found helps!! never use 1st gear start off in 2nd it helps avoid the herky jerkys.

I have found this bike does not like to be riddin slow " ride it like you stole it " but hang on and have fun.

Cart :yahoo:

'cartfj40'='Aug 10 2006, 09:30 AM' <snip>I have found this bike does not like to be riddin slow....
good on 'ya Why anyone would buy a motorcycle (especially a 145hp one) to ride slow -- is beyond me.... :blink:

In kart racing (125cc shifter class - Honda, Yamaha, Euro motors), the ONLY time we use the clutch is at the start. We generally only blip the throttle when shifting.

Did you paint your Goldwing blue again to fit in with the rest of us? Next time just wear your leather chaps like odot. :unsure:

I noticed the clutchless shift on my A model also. By accident the first time. Now i do it when my hand is busy giving some cager driving like shit the "your no. 1" gesture.

Last edited by a moderator: