Shipping A Bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I've never shipped a bike. However, I recall an extensive thread on the EZ board when someone bought a Feej and had it shipped, it was an agonizingly long endeavour, and frought with complications. That company was not a preferred shipper, I know that. Maybe someone remembers it better, or you could do a search on Ez.....ah, on second thought, maybe someone remembers.... :rolleyes:

No but I used These guys to bring my FJR from Michigan with satisfactory results. They are a specialty outfit dealing mostly with motorcycles. They only promise about a three week window but through here I got a pretty good rate. That's where I'd start if I were you. It could be pretty expensive since it's 'the season'. All those poseurs sending their bikes ahead to all those rallies, you know. :haha:

Assuming you are near enough one of there hubs for drop-off and pick-up Forward Air will typically beat anyone else.

Forward Air

I recall an extensive thread on the EZ board when someone bought a Feej and had it shipped, it was an agonizingly long endeavour, and frought with complications
That may have been me. It was a bit of a hassle, but in the end they made it right and got the bike here without damage.

Always used www.forwardair.com shipped my FJ1200 to PA when I sold it on Ebay, and also several dirtbikes and an R1.

If you are sending and pack one of thier steel crates yourself it is very safe, however, if you are receiving, you have to have trust that the person sending it has the same standards as yourself.

With the price of airfare these days, it is almost better to fly out to where the bike is and enjoy the ride back home while breaking it in if it is a new bike.

Skippy

Actually I was thinking about shipping my bike to California and then flying their and riding it back.

gypsy

It'll be cheaper & quicker to just ride it both directions. You could take a different route each way and see a bunch of America in the meantime.

Or Canada one way and the US the other. Make the trip coinside with one of the planned rides and ride with the locals. Hell, we'll make you and honorary Californian.

I'm for ridin' both directions. If time is a problem, make some, it will be worth it. Your a sick call away from some extra time. :eek:

Planning will help, but don't get carried away.

I know, I'm a baaaad influence. :devilsmiley:

I'm moving and not planning on shipping the bike but instead to load it in the back of the U-Haul (or whatever). Anyone have experience with this? I'm just wondering how I might be able to tie it down and keep it secure.

I'm moving and not planning on shipping the bike but instead to load it in the back of the U-Haul (or whatever).  Anyone have experience with this?  I'm just wondering how I might be able to tie it down and keep it secure.
It's a U-Haul. It has wood floors. Get some eye hooks and screw them in (or bolt throughs). Strap her down, make the move, pull the hooks out and plug the holes with wooden dowels, return the truck. I won't tell if you don't.... ;)

I'd also recommend a wheel chock, too. And DON'T strap her to the side wall slats or tie off rings.

Or, they have motorcycle trailers for rent, too. They'll have the proper tie down points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gypsy, I have used a company called Federal Agencies. I think they are a child company of Allied Van Lines. You can find a link from their site. They shipped me two custom Harleys (i know, i know) and I am very particular. No issues with them at all and they were on time. Also, they give you a $100 discount if you have it shipped to a business instead of a residence. Good Luck.

I would love to ride both ways but unfortunately I am not retired and do not have unlimited time. I can remember when I had no money and lots of time and now I have the money to do what I want and no time to do it!

C'est la vie!

gypsy

And, when you retire, you'll be back where you started...no money and lots of time.

I vote for riding both ways...just go real fast...your Feejer will like that :D

I just sold my V-Max to a guy on the east coast - he had it shipped back using ForwardAir. Just got an e-mail indicating it arrived fine. Only real problem is they do not supply tie down straps or really assist in any way in loading the bike in the container.