shortening the windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
I've read countless posts about the various barn-door windscreens and bar risers. I ride an '03 with the original gen1 mini-shield, which is always down. My usual ride is a 3-500km loop up north into the laurentians on my favorite twisty routes. Not ever just 'cruising'. For me, the FJR is a big comfortable "sportbike" of sorts

change of pace: I just got back from a 2 day, 1460km 'tour'. On THIS ride, I actually got to use my AVCC and tried-out my adjustable windscreen. It was nice to raise it up and ride in this quiet pocket of air with the visor up. Within an hour though, I had a sore neck and I was getting physically tired.

Each time I lowered the screen, I felt instant relief. As my shoulders popped back into the wind, I felt the strain being removed from my forearms, shoulders and neck! I know that a raised windscreen leads to back-pressure, which is surely why people end up installing bar risers (even two or 3 sets, stacked-up), so they can sit more upright.

I think my preference is to let nature support me while riding than changing the whole ergonomics of this "reasonably sporty" bike. Problem is (for me): I noticed that if I sit-up with a really straight back, my helmet pops-up into this smooth & relatively quiet zone (out in the wind). If I sit relaxed / naturally (helmet around 2" lower), the noise / buffeting is noticeably worse.

Solution? sit on a phonebook? I 'm thinking that actually shaving / shimming to lower that turbulent air zone to shoulder-level will make for a FAR more quiet & comfortable ride. Anyone ever have any experiences (regrets) to share with either shaving or shimming the windscreen to actually be lower than stock?

I added spacers on my vstream to smooth out the air flow. I love it.

I know guys have cut down windshields too. The nicest one I have seen is DJBills. He bought a shorter than stock windshield from Cee Baileys in the dark tint.

Looks really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got the same bike and the same preference. I'm 6'3'' and if I sit upright the noise is cut slightly. I did throw a few mm's of shim under the screen but didnt notice much of a difference. I think shorter would be the trick. Let me know how that cutting the windshield goes, i'm a bit nervous to do it myself but like the idea of the shorter tinted version.

Solution? sit on a phonebook? I 'm thinking that actually shaving / shimming to lower that turbulent air zone to shoulder-level will make for a FAR more quiet & comfortable ride. Anyone ever have any experiences (regrets) to share with either shaving or shimming the windscreen to actually be lower than stock?
I cut my stock screen down for the summer and bought a tall screen for the colder months. Cut out a piece of cardboard to the size and shape you would like to make your screen. Remove the screen from the bike and cover the area you will be cutting with masking tape. Using your cardboard as a template mark a cut line out on the tape. A jigsaw with a fine metal cutting blade will cut the screen like butter. Use a medium then fine file on the edge to remove the blade marks and round it. then a bit of wet sanding will make it look like a factory job.

I'm way interested too. I'm 6'3", and have experienced the exact same symptoms you describe. I come from a semi-sporty bike, and would like the clean-air break line at about armpit level (or, perhaps, nipple level? Woo-Hoo!). If I sit in a relaxed, fairly upright position, the edge of the airflow is right at the base of my helmet, creating a lot of "dirty" noise at the helmet/neck opening. (Yes, I wear earplugs). I thought that maybe 2" (50mm) of removed material would be a good place to start, but that's just a hare-brained guess.

I'm VERY interested to hear the results. Keep us posted!

I took the whole screen off and went for a ride once. Man was it awesome. I have both the stock screen and the touring screen, if I ever get the guts to start cutting, one of them is gonna be turned into a credit-card sized piece of ornamentation so the W-bracket doesnt look funny.

With no screen on the bike, the air is 'sportbike' clean.

I have a tall screen for the winter months for chill protection, and the stock '03 screen for the summer. The '03 is a couple of inches shorter than the later bikes, no cutting down needed.

It's quieter behind the tall screen, but it has a significant amount of buffetting sometimes.

I just ordered a CalSci L. I wanted to reduce noise. I am a no helmet 70% of the time so riding with a short sheild is not an option on the highway but I love it in town

The '03 is a couple of inches shorter than the later bikes, no cutting down needed.
That's a good point, worth mentioning for some of the forum newcomers. I call it the '03 minishield' because as of 04, they started growing it wider & taller.

I just thought it's weird that having read so many posts about bigger screens and none like mine, I thought I was a freak for actually wanting to sit out in the wind (clean wind, at least). But Walter, even my little screen could stand to be shorter to drop the dirty air down to shoulder level. (I'm only 5'10")

Anyone have a little 03 shield they'd sell? I wouldn't mind experimenting a little but keeping my stock shield in the closet.

Or - Since the smaller 03 shield has a shorter overall length, can spacers effectively drop the dirty air down a whole 2" without cutting?

I have spacers on mine. Actually they are just double stacked stainless steel nuts from Home Depot inserted between the arm and the screen bracket It made a noticable difference for the better by dropping the top edge of the screen probably 1.5". It also tipped it back overall so the wind is smoother over the screen. I still think it could be improved, but it's good enough that I haven't gotten motivated enough to cut anything.

my one gripe with the spacers is that since it changes the angle of the shield but not the outer arm length, at 'almost all the way up' the middle bracket contacts the top of the slots in the nose plastic and flexes it a bit where the top edge meets the instrument panel.

I'm thinking about it.

I use the spacers but still want a shorter windscreen.

I'd really rather buy an older (2003-2004) Gen1 windscreen, they were I believe about 13-14 inches high Vs the now standard 17 inches.