• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

side case 2005-2006 blue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue

Reaction score
Riding in VT this past weekend at the COG rally and my right side bag flew off in to the woods after hitting a big frost heave in the middle of a turn.

Anyone know where I can locate a replacement? New is too expensive! I'd consider one with some abuse as long as it is functional.

Anyone have problems with their bags being jottled loose? Considering putting a short tether line on them just in case I hit those VT roads again;)

thks

Riding in VT this past weekend at the COG rally and my right side bag flew off in to the woods after hitting a big frost heave in the middle of a turn.
Anyone know where I can locate a replacement? New is too expensive! I'd consider one with some abuse as long as it is functional.

Anyone have problems with their bags being jottled loose? Considering putting a short tether line on them just in case I hit those VT roads again;)

thks
This has happened to a number of folks, including the Axeman last year at my ride to the Rock. We put hitch pins (?) through a drilled hole in the bottom of the bag mount where it meets the rubber. I don't have a picture of the fix handy at work but I'm sure that someone will pipe up or you can use the search function as it has been discussed before. I also don't beleive that the bag color is the same between 05-06, I know the tank isn't.

Edit: found a pic...
clip.jpg

You need a real long drill bit to mount on the bike. Your not too far from me if you want to stop over and I'll hook you up. PM if your interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the bag?

There was someone at CFR this year whose bag had come loose. Fortunately it was still on the bike when he discovered it. After several people looking it over and swapping with other bags it appeared that the latch arm was not coming up fully to hold the bag on with the handle folded down. Perhaps the mechanism inn the bag had slipped a tooth. I think it was canucklehead with the loose bag so ehe may be able to tell you more about what happened.

If it is cosmetic damage then I recommend you contact forum member Garauld. He does a great job of painting the bag cover for a reasonable price.

Edit: Also, the blue color from an '06 will not match your '05. If you buy a used one you really need to get it from an '05. And, if you salvaged your bag, you'll need the lock mechanism to put on the replacement.

thks
Craigslist in Seattle

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/1888074639.html

thks
This has happened to a number of folks, including the Axeman last year at my ride to the Rock. We put hitch pins (?) through a drilled hole in the bottom of the bag mount where it meets the rubber. I don't have a picture of the fix handy at work but I'm sure that someone will pipe up or you can use the search function as it has been discussed before. I also don't beleive that the bag color is the same between 05-06, I know the tank isn't.

Edit: found a pic...
clip.jpg

You need a real long drill bit to mount on the bike. Your not too far from me if you want to stop over and I'll hook you up. PM if your interested.

Do you have the bag?
There was someone at CFR this year whose bag had come loose. Fortunately it was still on the bike when he discovered it. After several people looking it over and swapping with other bags it appeared that the latch arm was not coming up fully to hold the bag on with the handle folded down. Perhaps the mechanism inn the bag had slipped a tooth. I think it was canucklehead with the loose bag so ehe may be able to tell you more about what happened.

If it is cosmetic damage then I recommend you contact forum member Garauld. He does a great job of painting the bag cover for a reasonable price.

Edit: Also, the blue color from an '06 will not match your '05. If you buy a used one you really need to get it from an '05. And, if you salvaged your bag, you'll need the lock mechanism to put on the replacement.

bigblue said:
Do you have the bag?

Same thing happened to me at WFO9 this year. Frost heave on 36 -- bike went a bit airborn and the right bag made like a wounded duck down the road. Now it stays secure fore and aft but I can lift the tabs up off their indentations. I'd be interested in anybody that knows if it is the bag mechanism or the rear subframe. Hal was guessing maybe the subframe was tweaked or cracked, but I'm hoping it might just be the bottom latch... any other info available? I'll PM Canucklehead.

+1 on Garauld. I was going to have other parts painted by him, but I might as well save them all up for one shipment at this point.

Same thing happened to me at WFO9 this year. Frost heave on 36 -- bike went a bit airborn and the right bag made like a wounded duck down the road. Now it stays secure fore and aft but I can lift the tabs up off their indentations. I'd be interested in anybody that knows if it is the bag mechanism or the rear subframe. Hal was guessing maybe the subframe was tweaked or cracked, but I'm hoping it might just be the bottom latch... any other info available? I'll PM Canucklehead.
+1 on Garauld. I was going to have other parts painted by him, but I might as well save them all up for one shipment at this point.
Add the hitch pins and it won't matter -the bag is locked on from the bottom.

By the way you don't need a long drill to do this if you have the rear wheel off for maintenance and can then drill it from the inside.

By the way you don't need a long drill to do this if you have the rear wheel off for maintenance and can then drill it from the inside.
Thanks for the tip. It's on my list of to-do's once I determine and fix the cause of the bag flying off. I saw Kaitsdad and his ibike at WFO9. The circlips look like a good solution. I'm not nuts about having to use needlenose pliers to take the bags on and off, but a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Though I never have had my bags fly off (yet) I am considering adding spring loaded t-handle lock pins to my bags. see pic below.

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/T-Handle-...JCX4?Pid=search

Add a short keeper cable and the removal would be easy. Then again, the safety pin that is shown on the previous posts is a much cheaper solution.

T-Handle-Lock-Pin-3JCX4_AS01.JPG
$15-$19
Safety-Pin-5VU55_AS01.JPG
just over $2

mr.paul, from Minnesota

Thanks for the tip. It's on my list of to-do's once I determine and fix the cause of the bag flying off. I saw Kaitsdad and his ibike at WFO9. The circlips look like a good solution. I'm not nuts about having to use needlenose pliers to take the bags on and off, but a small price to pay for peace of mind.
NO tools are required to remove the clip...

Still looking to replace my "gone with the wind" right side bag for a 2005. any ideas :eek:
Found this eBay listing for an 03 bag...but it looks like the mounting latch is fooked.
Appreciate the info, yeah the latch does look like its pretty screwed up. I checked with local dealer and Yamaha doesn't offer just that part.

I've been real fortunate or lucky over the years that nothing like this has happened to my bikes, so I haven't had to use the web looking for parts. Closest I've come is almost launching a former girl friend off the back of my Hurricane but that story is for another day. Going to try Craiglist next.

Anyone else see or hear of anything please let me know :yahoo: