Sirius Or Xm?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatNakedGuy

Reaction score
Which service do folks find to be the best (XM or Sirius), and which hardware is best for mounting on a bike (rain,shine,etc).

Would like for the device to be portable as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't give a comparison cause I know squat about Sirius. But have had XM for a few months now and love it, don't think I'll ever be without it. It started when I bought the new XM MyFi for my wife and they sent me a free (yes that's right folks, free) Roady 2. I've set them up to work on our bikes, my work truck and in the house. The MyFi will broadcast to any radio in your house that is tuned to the proper frequency. I got a handlebar mount from https://www.myradiostore.us/ and made a simple bracket to mount my Roady 2 to the clutch reservoir. The MyFi comes with everything to do the normal house and car setups as does the Roady. One of those little niceties that makes life a bit more pleasant IMO. JB

I've got XM (Roady2), which I really like...

It's attached to the Clutch resevoir cover viz a Hoon Hardware bracket (they also make a raincover that works well). I improvised a way to make it easier to take the Roady2 off the bike, but you could Velcro it to the Hoon bracket if that suited you.

The selection of music is good, and they are NOT the station paying Howard Stern millions of dollars, so that's a positive in my book too. I like that they also carry all the Major League Baseball games too.

Hey,

I have been using XM for almost 2 years,, in my '65 Riviera and in my truck,,

you get everything you want,, nothing you don't want (Stern included)

music,sports,talk, traffic and weather reports nationwide,,

mine is mounted via ball mount on clutch rez plate,, hook n loop material glued to back of supplied clip,, as well as the supplied mounting plate,,,,

I know nothing about the other service,,,,

"That which does not kill me ,,,

better start running"

I've got XM in my car, soon (at some point, anyway) the FJR will follow.

Sirus has howard stern which is reason enough to go with XM.

I have XM as well. As stated above, I will not be with out it. I have no experience with Sirius. I can tell you that it appears that XM has a much better business model and may be around longer if the Stern move doesn’t drag a lot of people to Sirius.

Mark

I have Sirius. The module pops from my pickup to my house to my FJR without any trouble. I've used it from Canada to Mexico, and from the Mighty Mississippi to the Pacific coast. No problems at all, and the unit's output doesn't require an external amp if you're going straight to headphones.

Oh, Outrace just made me remember something... XM is also mucho plenty loud even without an amp if you're going direct to earphones...

When I plug my ER6i's directly into the output on the receiver, I have to turn the in-built volume control to 2 or 3 to make it quiet enough to listen to (out of a max of 10).

Guess that depends on what you want to listen to. Other than music and Talk XM has Baseballl games (MLB) and Sirrius has Football (NFL & College).

I have had both. XM for 2 years and Sirrius for 6months. Personally I like XM better.

I mostly listen to talk radio, CNBC, ESPN, Football Channel. Although the content is the same on both, sirruis has some issues with there comercials. Not that I'm advocating commercials but If I have to listen to them it's more bearable on XM. Sirrius tends to run the same commercials over and over all day every day for weeks on end. Very nausiating.

-=SpeedFreak=-

Speedfreak reminded me of something else... I believe XM has all of the ACC sports broadcasts, which now includes my alma mater, Virginia Tech. Another plus for me...

I've had XM for a few weeks now and I love it. I didn't try Sirius. I mounted it to the FJR with a Hoon mount and wiring harness.

Todd

I just got Sirius about 3 weeks ago. It's great. One fee for all services. Someone was telling me XM has tiered servicing.

With Sirius you also have the option for a $499 one-time fee for a "lifetime" subscription (for the life of the reciever - but it allows 3 xfers of the subscription (4 receivers)).

Put it in the tank bag this past weekend. Velcroed the antenna "bump" to the ECM shelf. Plugged the aux out into the MixIt. Vundebah! It will not replace my MP3 that I've been running since I got my 2003 FJR.

I see Stern as a positive. Not that I listen to him that much but anyone standing up to the oppression of the FCC is tops in my book. Prudes who have a problem with content need to be reminded how to change the channel.

Mucho great classic blues channel! Everything else is icing. But the classic rock channel goes for days without a repeat while the thrash metal has some choice tracks. The "Raw Dog" comedy channel is unsensored, so again gets a big tip of the hat.

On all of them it's great to finally hear the music as it was meant to be; unsensored like is usual for FM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had both. XM for 2 years and Sirrius for 6months. Personally I like XM better.I mostly listen to talk radio, CNBC, ESPN, Football Channel. Although the content is the same on both, sirruis has some issues with there comercials. Not that I'm advocating commercials but If I have to listen to them it's more bearable on XM. Sirrius tends to run the same commercials over and over all day every day for weeks on end. Very nausiating.
Wait a minute!!!!

Did you say f*cking COMMERCIALS??????

Are you f*cking kidding me????

In the early '80's they told us that cable TV would be commercial free - 'cause we were paying for it.

We bought off on that.

Look what happened...

Now, the last time I checked in - the EXACT SAME PROMISE was being made about pay-radio.

Have they really gone and f*cking thrown commercials into the mix?

Are you stoopid douchbags REALLY gonna pay - to listen to commercials?

F*ck that.

Forever.

I want music - I'll f*cking steal a CD, or f*cking rip an illegal copy of Metallica or something.

Somebody has to do it.

Get even with the man, that is!!!!

I have had both. XM for 2 years and Sirrius for 6months. Personally I like XM better.I mostly listen to talk radio, CNBC, ESPN, Football Channel. Although the content is the same on both, sirruis has some issues with there comercials. Not that I'm advocating commercials but If I have to listen to them it's more bearable on XM. Sirrius tends to run the same commercials over and over all day every day for weeks on end. Very nausiating.
Wait a minute!!!!

Did you say f*cking COMMERCIALS??????

Are you f*cking kidding me????

In the early '80's they told us that cable TV would be commercial free - 'cause we were paying for it.

We bought off on that.

Look what happened...

Now, the last time I checked in - the EXACT SAME PROMISE was being made about pay-radio.

Have they really gone and f*cking thrown commercials into the mix?

Are you stoopid douchbags REALLY gonna pay - to listen to commercials?

F*ck that.

Forever.

I want music - I'll f*cking steal a CD, or f*cking rip an illegal copy of Metallica or something.

Somebody has to do it.

Get even with the man, that is!!!!
How the hell do you expect them to pay for Stern? There ain't $400,000,000 worth of subscriptions and the last time I checked, outside of governmental agencies, a company has to make a profit to stay in business...

Now, having said that, I do concur that pay radio should not have commercials. I'll stay with free radio waves. That's why radios have tuning knobs/buttons.

I have listened to very few CDs since I got XM. What I tell all people who see my XM is are you happy with your radio station choices? If not check out XM. LA radio doesn't play what I prefer listening to so I got XM. I've had it since right after it came out and I'm still happy with it. Sirus wasn't out when I got XM but I think I would have picked XM over Sirus.

I have listened to very few CDs since I got XM. What I tell all people who see my XM is are you happy with your radio station choices? If not check out XM. LA radio doesn't play what I prefer listening to so I got XM. I've had it since right after it came out and I'm still happy with it. Sirus wasn't out when I got XM but I think I would have picked XM over Sirus.
When do you have time to listen to LA radio, beotch? :p :D

I have an XM receiver in the car and another one on the FJR. The Direct TV folks put Sirius up so I have it at home on the sound system. I personally like the music programming on Sirius a bit better. However, XM makes it attractive to add additional receivers for something like $6.99/ month. For me, either one beats CD's.

The only commercials I've heard on XM are during breaks on the talk channels (what, you expect them to just play static???) and MLB games (what, innings end... there's dead space... get over it). I haven't come across any on the music channels, but then again, once a song ends, I'm usually moving to a different channel anyway.