Sirius Or Xm?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most anoying part of XM is the commercials on channel 150. They have to advertize all the other channels as well as lame-ass products and website services. That's my only real "commerical" issue with XM. I'm pretty happy with it (although I'd like to get some local stuff)

I have an XM receiver in the car and another one on the FJR. The Direct TV folks put Sirius up so I have it at home on the sound system. I personally like the music programming on Sirius a bit better. However, XM makes it attractive to add additional receivers for something like $6.99/ month. For me, either one beats CD's.
Sirius and XM offer the same rates for additional recievers (5 max for XM, 4 max for Sirius).

The lifetime subscription to Sirius and their traditional blues, classic rock (with a depth of playlist that doesn't repeat for at least a week), thrash metal and other music channels are what sold me. Since Sirius lets you xfer the lifetime subscription to 3 more receivers (for a total of 4) that could be 20 years worth of subscription paid for in one shot.

Even at work, I can pick of the xmissions because of the terestrial relays that Sirius uses. It lets be "thread the needle" to a good signal even though I can't get direct satellite feed from deep within the building where I work. My boss has XM and we found I'd be dead in the water from my office if I'd gone that way.

TWN,

Tell me how you get any radio reception on your FJR. Do you have a full blown car radio? If I could find the space for one,without using the saddlebags or trunk, I'd have it instead of the Sirius. Incidently, I have Sirius because I understand it has better reception than XM here in NW MI. It hasn't let me down, yet.

dobias

TWN,Tell me how you get any radio reception on your FJR. Do you have a full blown car radio? If I could find the space for one,without using the saddlebags or trunk, I'd have it instead of the Sirius. Incidently, I have Sirius because I understand it has better reception than XM here in NW MI. It hasn't let me down, yet.

dobias
I have a Creative Zen with the built-in FM. Very poor reception. Maybe 20 mile range - tops. So, I really don't use the FM feature. Just listen to the MP3's or the wind. However, my Softline should be here soon and I'll be jammin' to Gretta Garmin, all my trucker 'good buddies', MP3's, radar warnings and the SO telling me to slow down...

I'm not into the sat radio - yet. I still can't rationalize paying for radio.

TWN,Tell me how you get any radio reception on your FJR. Do you have a full blown car radio? If I could find the space for one,without using the saddlebags or trunk, I'd have it instead of the Sirius. Incidently, I have Sirius because I understand it has better reception than XM here in NW MI. It hasn't let me down, yet.

dobias
There should be no difference in reception between the two. I haven't heard any complaints from my customers about reception.....only about all the commercials.

I sell both types and still refuse to jump in because of the lies both advertise about being commercial free. IMHO, FM still has a ton of stations to listen to (in the NY area anyway) and it's free. As far as I'm concerned.....adios Howard!

You couldn't pay me to listen to him. Now you want ME to pay to listen? yeah, OK.

He should be paying everyone to listen to him.....with a Christmas bonus thrown in too.

Cable and satellite radio are both subscription services that technically should not need commercial advertising to pay the bills. To me it's a big ripoff and a scam.

As far as feedback on both systems, I've been told Sirius has more music and XM has more variety. I also know that XM subscriptions outnumber Sirius about 4 to 1.