Six Swiss Passes In One Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
We left relatively early in the AM and congregated at a RV point just before the Swiss border. 4 FJRs coming from as many different Northern Italian cities and a Swiss bro who joined us en route.

The idea was to do 6 passes in the Swiss Alps, i.e. ride up to 6,000-8,000 ft and ride back down six times running. The best way to do it in one day is a figure 8 route with the village of Andermatt in the middle.

gitainsvizzera.jpg

Traffic on the Swiss roads was pretty heavy not only in the valleys but also on the passes, due to the huge amount of vacationmakers heading for the Med or driving back to Northern Europe.

Weather was fine south of the Alps but beyond 5,000 ft we found fog and rain, too.

The ride was nothing less than spectacular and we all loved it. This is just one of the many pictures taken by Gianlorenzo, our group leader, and shows our rides cooling off on the roadside at Furka Pass.

Needless to say, the FJR proved once more to be a heck of an all-weather mountain climber and we showed our taillights to many a BMW and assorted iron.

Stef

furka.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I'm headed that way again in 3 weeks time for a 3000km trip across 35 passes or so with a bunch of crazy 'mericans on rental bikes. Nothing beats 9 days of sporttouring through the Alps with a bunch of friends. Well, maybe anything over 9 days of sporttouring through the Alps with a bunch of friends.

looks like a real shithole of a place
:D Someone's jealous... :D

Why, Thug, don't you have, like, pass roads on Ayers Rock????

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Stef

PS: I'm working on the video of this outing :construction: but it'll be a while before I can post a link, since I'm off to the ole US of A at the weekend. :coolio:

I'm wicked jealous; can't wait to see more photos/video. Have hiked in the area but never ridden the Alps. :dribble:

Just got back from my tour to Slovenia from the UK. The highspots were the Grossglockner (2575M) Timmelsjoch (2509M)and the Stelvio at 2758 metres. There are many others around the 2000M mark. As I get sorted out I'll try and post a few pictures. Switzerland and Corsica are in the planning stages for next year.

I got back on Aug 2 from Munich to Salzburg (Deutsche Alpenstrasse).

Then Salzburg, Austria (Grossklockner Pass)

Austria.jpg

and on to Cortina, Italy.

churchvalley.jpg

Then the Dolomites switch backs are a total kick, burning you out physically and mentally.

dolomites.jpg

Cortina to Seefeld, Austria over Penser Joch Pass and Jaufenpass, then Timmelsjoch Mountain pass up over Otztaler Gletscherstrabe, is one of the highest roads in the Alps.

Finally, Seefeld back to Munich

Even the autobahn back to Munich was a blast.....136 mph for 20 minutes covered 45 miles.

What a total kick and adrenalin rush.

Best vacation I have ever had.

Fjrloveland,
Great pics! :agent: Looks like you were blessed with fine weather, too.

Teerex
Teerex;

We had one rainy morning(coming out of Salzburg) until about 10am. We just visited Hitlers Eagle Nest and the area in which he lived along with many German heirarchy in the same area.

Ironic.........when the allies were blowing up any thing associated with the Nazi's they decided to spare the Eagle Nest. The French came into the area at first and found a large amount of wine.......threw a party and left with the rest.

When the Americans arrived........they built a golf course in the area, which is still there today.

Thanks on the pic comment.........I have lots more.

I would consider going back next year with some others that would be interested and just freelancing it by renting a cycle and doing our own navigating tour.

FJRLoveland

Were you with the Beach's tour we met up as we were climbing the Kesselberg nr Wallgau on Mon 25th July, they were following pretty much the same itinery as you. Also visited the eagles nest, spectacular scenery, and also rode the Rosfeldringstrasse.

looks like a real shithole of a place
:D Someone's jealous... :D

Why, Thug, don't you have, like, pass roads on Ayers Rock????

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Stef

PS: I'm working on the video of this outing :construction: but it'll be a while before I can post a link, since I'm off to the ole US of A at the weekend. :coolio:
Yes mate we do! up one crack and down the other!

I've been to Switzerland bloody beautiful place but I'm not telling you anything you allready know! :D

FJRLoveland
Were you with the Beach's tour we met up as we were climbing the Kesselberg nr Wallgau on Mon 25th July, they were following pretty much the same itinery as you. Also visited the eagles nest, spectacular scenery, and also rode the Rosfeldringstrasse.
orestes;

Nope. We did Ad-MoTours (Adventure Motorcycles) and on July 25th my wife and I were traveling on a train from Lugano Switzerland to Interlaken.

It would have been so kewl to have met and rode with you over there.

After dinner at the Haufbrau House in Munich, I was walking through the court yard and recognized someone I knew from Northern Colorado. Strange EH! :haha:

Awesome looking trip... would be a dream vacation sometime in the future... especially on an FJR...

All right, folks, the Swiss Pass video is on line

Swiss Pass Rollercoaster

It's a long and heavy video (100Mb) but I think it's fun to watch.

Enjoy B)

Stef

PS: The same link appears as of yesterday also in "Regional Ride Planning/Europe" on this Forum.

Cool video, looked like a pretty fun pace up the mountain. Saw the kph at 140 a couple of times and the temp gauge was at two bars for a long time but went up to three bars when they got close to the summit. The Feejer looks like it held its own. Thanks for sharing.