Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They sell this locally, it’s pretty good:

https://lilliesq.com/products/carolina?variant=39484229255338&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlIm884Ph8gIVmWxvBB1G6QC6EAQYAiABEgJU5_D_BwE

I do make my own, but instead of using SBR’s BBQ sauce, I use ketchup and brown sugar. 

There’s quite a few recipes online, I prefer the north western sauces to the southern/eastern ones. 
Sorry. I am of a mind that Northern-anywhere doesn't know Q.

Well we are talking about Carolina. Which regardless of where it appears on a map of the US, everyone I know still thinks of it as a “southern” state. 😉

North eastern Carolina sauce has no tomato content, and is basically just vinegar. Southern Carolina sauce uses mustard instead of ketchup, which I don’t care for (at least on pulled pork)

Again where you live does prejudice you on what Q you like......

I was born in Lafayette LA. Does that help. I was brought up as a southerner. Still to this day say Yes Sir and Yes Mam.

HA! Have a great weekend folks.

Get out and ride, Dave

For what it’s worth, Ft Worth Texas is only 80 miles south of Carolina Shores, North Carolina.  North Carolina is WELL below the Mason Dixon line.
Sorry, I was unclear. I wasn't singling out NC but the NORTHERN cousins who use "Q" as if they know what it is. ;)   I was keying of NORTH and not CAROLINA. My mistake for not being more explicit.

Okay, even though I’m about as northern as you can get,  I’m getting ready to overnight a couple of ginormous pork shoulders tonight.  Cooking shoulders calls for an overnight smoke on the UDS with charcoal and hickory wood chunks.  Here’s  the two “picnic shoulders” after trimming and salting.  

59C71D5C-2C43-4CC0-B1AA-F9A7C4C89449.jpeg

…and a few hours later I got the pit ready.  Loaded up the UDS coal basket for a long smoke.  Used Cowboy hardwood briquettes (I’ve liked their flavor over the other bigger brands) and put some good sized hickory wood chunks interspersed throughout.

839C96B2-B745-464F-81EC-851E3AB20B95.jpeg

Using a slightly adapted version of Meathead’s Memphis Dust pork rub.  And flopped these big daddies on the pit at about 4PM.

B405C587-95F1-4B2D-B72A-47A120B71B00.jpeg

I’ve got the stoker dialed in to 235F.  Shouldn’t have to do anything with them for at least 12 hours.  Just go to bed and dream about delicious pulled pork tomorrow 

90BE4944-9DD3-48BD-A846-8599F5E15805.jpeg

Didn’t do a thing with them all night. Not even a peek. Up this morning at 6AM.  Stuck a quick read thermo into them and they are at 195F and already probe tender.  The pit is still holding temp nicely so I’ll let them go a little longer and render out some more of the fat.  Porky pR0n to come…

Congrats. Are you a relocated southerner? Your cooks would say you at least have a Q spirit guide... other than those nasty briquettes.

As promised…

Pork shoulders after 17 hours at constant 235F.  Never turned them.  Kept the fat side down to the fire.  Plenty of beautiful bark on top and bottom (of course).

55E31759-557D-4FA2-B298-C2A0EC6B3985.jpeg

After pulling, got two big tubs of goodness.

6CD402C8-89B6-4556-A220-BABAFD8A9891.jpeg

Looks like you’ll be in pork heaven for awhile there Fred 😉👍

On a side note since I mentioned it here, we got our hot tub up on the deck today. I rented a five foot tall exterior scaffold, and with the help of some members of the Special Olympics Weightlifting team, we got it up on the scaffold and then up on the deck. 

D5606-A8-F-0-B11-47-CF-96-AA-87-CF6541-A18-A.jpg

The pulled pork looks great!  We are still finishing off my pork from last weekend.

Enjoy!!

Brian
Yeah, the whole point of doing two big roasts is so we can eat some this week, but especially so we can package some up in the freezer.  My wife makes a killer 3 cheese Pulled Pork Mac ‘n Cheese that the whole family loves.  We often make a meal of that months afterwards.  We also like pulled pork tacos instead of the more typical ground beef.  

I had 3 days off over the Holiday Weekend, and nothing went in the smoker….that’s just plain wrong…..

Had my best-buddy 4 year old Granddaughter at our house all weekend so would have been hard to do both. 
Maybe this coming weekend - been in the mood to slap a big brisket in Smoky Joe.

Brian the biknflyfisher 

Cooked a couple of racks of St Louis cut ribs on the offset yesterday afternoon.  Had frozen these ribs because I wasn’t able to get around to cooking them soon enough after buying them at the market.  Took them out of the freezer and slapped them on the smoker at nominal cooking temps burning applewood.  Wasn’t able to season them at all until they had defrosted in about 1/2 hour, then hit them with salt and pork rub pretty heavily, with more rub as they cooked.  

Texturally and flavor wise they came out as good as ever.  I think the smoke ring was lacking, but that is just a visual thing anyway.  Gobbled down one rack for dinner and stashed the second rack in the freezer for another night.

8E8627FC-7143-4A7A-BA48-E0A5E6B58151.jpeg

3 Cheese Pulled Pork Mac ‘n Cheese

1 lb elbow macaroni

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup ap flour

2 cups milk

2 cups half and half

1 tsp salt

fresh ground black pepper to taste

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar

1 1/2 cups shredded jack cheese

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

About 1/2 lb +/- of smoked pulled pork (chef’s choice on how much)

Preheat oven to 400F

Cook and drain macaroni, set aside.

In a large sauce pan, melt butter

Add flour, salt and pepper.  Wisk until well blended.

Pour in milk and cream gradually, wisking constantly.

Bring mixture to a boil, boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add shredded cheeses little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, until cheese melts fully.  

Add pulled pork to melted cheese.

Turn off heat.

Add boiled macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with cheese sauce.

Transfer  macaroni to buttered baking dish

Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese

Bake for 20 minutes until cheese on top is nicely browned.

Fred, how long were your ribs on the offset?

Ive been doing the 3-2-1 method, but the 2hr period in the foil takes away any chance of a good bark like what you have. Does make for some very tender ribs however…..

Brian

I never crutch ribs. They usually don’t cook long enough for that to be of any use, (unless as you said, you want them tender)

I find “tender” to really mean  “mushy”. 

Baby backs I cook for about 4-1/2 hours.

St Louis ribs closer to 6, but I mop/spray them for the last 2-3 hours. 

Latest posts