Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Camp Chef. Its going on 8 years old. In the home prior to this one I smoked just about every weekend. all types of meats and veggies. A PID is a key component. Keeping the heat steady and timing is all it takes.

Hello all:
I think I’m going to do a pork shoulder and some chicken breasts tomorrow in the OK Joe as it’s been a spell since we had pulled pork, and it will be a nice day to be outside in Central Cal tending the fire.
Been thinking about getting a pellet smoker at some point for when you just want to smoke some meat and not have to babysit the fire. My son has had great luck with his Traeger but they often seem to have QC issues when you read user reviews. He makes a killer pork shoulder in his Traeger……
Biknflyfisher

No experience with Traegers. They do have a lot of fans, but they also get a premium for the name.

I have been very happy with both of my Pit Boss pellet smokers. I first bought a PB700R2, also known as the Rancher. It has one unique feature, a sliding slotted plate over the fire pot that allows you to sear steaks on it. But after trying that a few times I have not really used that feature much.

About a year ago I bought a second Pit Boss, this one is one of their 5 series vertical cabinet pellet smokers model # PBV5P1. That unit gives you much more smoke, and more smoke flavor in the meat, than most any horizontal grille style. It has a smoke setting that runs at only about 125-130 degrees, and puts out great quantity and quality smoke. I generally put the meat on in the smoke setting for about the first hour or so, and then ramp it up to whatever cooking temp that I want to use. There is also a large built-in water tray that holds almost a gallon of water. I use the water tray on almost everything. The smoke setting also works great for making jerky, if you are into that. And Pit Boss sells some accessory hooks to use for hanging sausage, etc. from one of the seven racks slid into the top slot.

They have not been without any failures. Both of them burned out their igniter “hot rods” in the first year. That is not unusual for a pellet smoker that gets used a lot. But they are easy enough to change out if you have a little mechanical aptitude. My vertical also just recently had the combustion fan bearings go on it. That was an easy swap too.

And the best part is that the Pit Boss pellet smokers have a 5 year warranty on all of the electrical parts, so you just call them up and they will ship you any parts for free.

If I were looking for a pellet smoker and didn’t care about searing steaks, I’d try to find a vertical. It’s a much better smoker than the horizontal grills.

Yes, absolutely. It comes with 5 grates plus the water pan rack (I misspoke earlier saying 7). There are a lot of levels you can set the racks at. And the cooking chamber is 22” wide, which is bigger than most offset pits are deep.

One other feature I forgot to mention is it has a 60 lb hopper for pellets. That is huge! At nominal 225 or 250 BBQ cooking temps that would run for well over 20 hours. I’ve never tested it that long, or ever filled it fully.

But… One of the big problems that people with pellet smokers bring on themselves is leaving their pit outside full of pellets, even covered, in a humid environment. If you’ve ever dealt with pellets you’ll know that they are essentially just pulverized wood (sawdust) that is formed by intense pressure into the rabbit food pellet shape. There is no added glue or binder material other than the natural wood resin that holds them together. If you leave pellets in a high humidity environment they will become unbound and disintegrate. The powder of disintegrated pellets wreaks havoc with the auger that moves the pellets from the hopper to the burn pot. I’ve never experienced it because I wheel all of my smokers away into my garage after use. But I also heat my home with wood pellets in winter, which are the same but not made from fragrant tasty species like hickory, apple or cherry, etc. If moisture gets into one of those 40 lb. Bags I end up with a bag full of sawdust, not useable for much. But all of that is the same for any pellet burner. Just something to be aware of, not knowing what your California environment is like.

That Pit Boss 5 series vertical generally sells for around $500. I lucked out and found a slightly dented floor model for $300. It was just cosmetic, so who cares? It cooks like a dream. End of the season specials are great too.

Yeah, I bought a couple of large 3-4 gallon plastic bins with a rubber sealed top to store my pellets in (I think they were sold to hold pet food) and I do store my pellet cooker in the garage when not in use.
A winter project will be building a collection chamber that attaches to my shop vacuum to collect pellets in the cooker when I want to switch wood flavors.
There is a door to empty the bin but it’s a pain to use, be so much simpler it I could just vacuum them all out. 👍

As promised, I unlimbered the Char-Griller akorn smoker.

1 bone-in turkey breast, 3 chicken breast fillets, and a half-shoulder (so yes, I half-assed it).

Got up at 5am for a late lunch prep. Everyone bailed but that was good because I let the smoker temps runaway, took forever to cool down, then smothered the fire and had to restart it. Everything was stabilized by 11. Finished (cleanup and all) around 11pm... so as expected.

Had to do the turkey by itself because of clearances. Once it was done, the pork and chicken could go on together on separate shelves.

Turkey
turkey.jpg

Chicken

chicken.jpg

Pork

clot.jpg

pork.jpg

Wife gave the chicken approval. I had the pulled pork and was pleased. Too full to try the turkey yet, but it tends to taste like smoked turkey deli meats without all the preservatives, so always a good choice.

Next day, I was burning off the unused charcoal (helps with cleanup to ash the goo), and unlimber some burger patties I'd made in case company got here early. 50/50 ground lamb/beef (2lbs total), 2 Tbs of minced garlic, S&P, 2 Tbs or Worcestershire sauce.

Slapped them on the hot grill. Juice and tasty with both of us liking them.

As you can see... far too little to go industrial (or even his smaller one). We all know this isn't personal digs at anyone, just pokin' friends in the ribs. Seems to be plenty for 2, eh? :D

Mmmmm.... ribs...

;)

Well, he did say the big cooker was for large gatherings. And he has a smaller pit for backyard. I’d like to see some photos of the backyard pit.
I’m sorry I should have been clearer. Some of the pictures are from the patio smoker. Here are a couple more. I use it for cold smoking cheese, making smaller quantities of bacon. Also smaller cooks for just the wife and I or small gatherings. Last pic are a couple pork butts and a prime rib. This smoker is too big for most people too. I cut my own firewood so wood isn’t an issue for me. IMG_5362.jpegIMG_5363.jpegIMG_5364.jpegIMG_5365.jpegIMG_5366.jpegIMG_5368.jpegIMG_5369.jpeg

Don't get me wrong. I get smoker envy like everyone else. I simply don't have the space for even your smaller one. A larger one could have had me doing all 3 meats in one go; just taking them off at different times.

A friend has a smoker that looks like a locomotive engine with the smoke stack where he hangs his sausage links. It's also super-cool... sitting there in his 2 acre back yard.

Happy Thanksgiving folks! For our very small crowd today (just five, my son can’t make it because he and his roommate caught the flu) I’m roasting a 8 pound bone in turkey breast in the oven, and am going to smoke two 2.5 pound meatloafs in the pellet smoker. I was intrigued about smoking a meatloaf, so going to give it a try. One of the meatloafs I’ll deliver to my son tomorrow.
Basically using this recipe:
https://www.fattybuttsbbq.com/recipes/smoked-meatloaf-with-bbq-glaze
We will have the wife’s awesome mashed potatoes,(honestly the best I’ve ever had) rolls, stuffing, and for desert pumpkin pie and a lemon pie made with lemons from our own lemon tree.
Photos to follow.