Snatchy Throttle Fix...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BanjoBoy

Reaction score
I've had my '07 for a couple months now, and have been struggling with the on/off throttle, especially in the rain while try'in to be smooth. This seems to be the only thing "less than perfect" about the bike.

Last week, I had my ECU replaced under the recall, and now the throttle is much, much, much better. (I thought it was for high elevations, but I'm only 100' above sea level.)

If you haven't done the ECU fix yet, I highly recommend it. :thumbsupsmiley:

I've had my '07 for a couple months now, and have been struggling with the on/off throttle, especially in the rain while try'in to be smooth. This seems to be the only thing "less than perfect" about the bike.Last week, I had my ECU replaced under the recall, and now the throttle is much, much, much better. (I thought it was for high elevations, but I'm only 100' above sea level.)

If you haven't done the ECU fix yet, I highly recommend it. :thumbsupsmiley:
Odd that the ECU would make a difference for you. The altitude sickness resulted from changes of 1000' or more. One of the other things that helped mine was a TBS and new plugs. Unreal how smooth it is now. I did have the ECU done along with the ignition.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike, with the original pre-recall ECU and a PCIII ran perfect. Then I did the ECU recall and it ran horrible. All the remapping in the world would not straighten it out. I finally bought a used pre-recall ECU and now the bike again runs perfect.

I think in my case I just got a bad ECU. Figures.

You might want to try releasing the throttle spring one turn and get a G2 throttle tube. Since you got it used I presume it may not have these mods yet. There's a couple good links in my sig line for ya.

You might want to try releasing the throttle spring one turn and get a G2 throttle tube. Since you got it used I presume it may not have these mods yet. There's a couple good links in my sig line for ya.

I don't know that it'll help much. I have an '09 with the "fixed" throttle spring and the snatchy throttle has become my main (only?) complaint about the bike. I've read about it here, and most guys seem to think that a power commander with a good tune is the best way to cure it. I may bite the bullet on that sooner than I thought I might.

In Australia we dont usually suffer from altitude sickness nor do FJR 13's but mine had a major flat spot whilst touring the "High Country "in Feb this year after a fairly quick mountain road descent.

My 07 always had a harsh throttle reaction from idle that made tight twisty stuff and slow riding a real pain. When I had the 20,000 k service done i had the ECU changed at the same time. The mechanic also enriched the mixture to help out with the recently fitted Two Bros slip-ons .

The bike was transformed into what id should have been , super controllable on the throttle with no snatchyness .

I ahd TBS and TPS set in the past but it made little difference I was going to unwind the throttle spring but now I dont need to

( well not for that purpose anyway)

Interesting comments all.

I too changed my plugs and did a TBS, (Wish I knew about the throttle spring unwind, I wouda done it while I was in there!) and that didn't help.

It doesn't make sense to me that the ECU change helped the snatchy throttle, but it seems to have.

I did a couple hundred miles yesterday on some of our dirtiest, windiest, bumpiest, tightest little back roads, and this thing is much better. (All below 1,000' ) There's still some drive line lash, and because the bike makes so much power off idle it's not perfect, but it is way, way, way better than before.

Thanks,

Interesting comments all.I too changed my plugs and did a TBS, (Wish I knew about the throttle spring unwind, I wouda done it while I was in there!) and that didn't help.

It doesn't make sense to me that the ECU change helped the snatchy throttle, but it seems to have.

I did a couple hundred miles yesterday on some of our dirtiest, windiest, bumpiest, tightest little back roads, and this thing is much better. (All below 1,000' ) There's still some drive line lash, and because the bike makes so much power off idle it's not perfect, but it is way, way, way better than before.

Thanks,
According to several drive-tests performed in Europe by several magazines, in 2008 Yamaha stated that the problem related to tough on-off throttle was solved but in real life no difference could be felt. In 2009 a new test was performed (FJR1300, BMW 1300GT and Kawasaki GTR1400) and the drivers were in-love with the new ECU settings for 2009 FJR model. The off-on issue had been finally solved :) . Perhaps, in your case, you received the latest generation ECU with latest settings (including the ones for on-off throttle issue).

In my case I have tried also the spring un-winding but it didn't help much... I'm planning also to try the G2 throttle tamer but ECU replacement or PCIII remain final options. There is also a trick with a resistor connected to the ECU (something like Barbarian mode) - check this link - but I am not very comfortable with making changes to the maps other than those from the factory...

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the G2 throttle tube, this improved the situation, but snatchy throttle was completely eradicated by fitting a power commander and having a custom map.(which is now available for download free from Dynojet US),

I would just get a power commander and install the standard map done on my bike, works a treat. Btw the fuel economy was not affected.

Andy