So what say U about mo loud pipe restrictions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:clapping:

Those loud pipes are freaking annoying. And around here, it seems most Harley type bikes have the really loud pipes. It's not just a few bad apples anymore unfortunately.

I am all for cracking down on those guys. The problem is, they are going to ruin it for everybody else who have *mild* aftermarket pipes and aren't such a nuisance.

Freakin choads.

I absolutely agree with SkooterG. Straight pipes are illegal in New York, but rarely are riders stopped, let alone ticketed. A partial reason is that many cops own bikes with straight pipes so they don't enforce it. Another example of the bad will created for all motorcyclists that have an adolescent desire to make noise under the guise of"loud pipes save lives"

Most people with loud pipes use them instead of smart riding techniques, and skill. I love the sound of an uncorked 124" S&S motor, but not on the street. I had a Vulcan with loud pipes, and I only rode it 800 miles total before selling it. I couldn't hear anything around me, not other cars, nor sirens, etc.

I remember when the cops would ticket us for having too loud of exhaust on our cars. Ooh, glass packs! Now if it is a motorcycle, then it is allowed. Go figure it.

I wonder when they are going to start ticketing the "low rider types" with the huge amplifiers that play soooo loud I can't hear my own stereo in my pickup. My windows rattle in my house, the ground shakies....and that's okay while we are after the dastardly bikers? Noise is noise! Unfortunately, the easiest way for the elected officials to deal with it is to ban or restrict ALL bikes, like they have on the 17 mile drive in Monterey.

To quote Toecutter, "How many braaaps does it take to...?????"

I wonder when they are going to start ticketing the "low rider types" with the huge amplifiers that play soooo loud I can't hear my own stereo in my pickup. My windows rattle in my house, the ground shakies....and that's okay while we are after the dastardly bikers? Noise is noise! Unfortunately, the easiest way for the elected officials to deal with it is to ban or restrict ALL bikes, like they have on the 17 mile drive in Monterey.
To quote Toecutter, "How many braaaps does it take to...?????"
I live in Lake Jackson, Tx. but in Freeport, which is just down the street a few miles, there is a loud noise ordinance that I think only applies to music blaring from an automobile.

Several years ago my oldest son got ticketed right along with all the brothers from Houston (that come down here on the weekends in the summer time) that had their music so loud the parking lot was vibrating. He was about to back out from the convenience store parking lot and had his stock radio on (in a Corolla) and the female cop walked right up to him and handed him a ticket for loud noise coming from his radio. She had a stack of tickets and was handing them out to everyone in the parking lot. We contested it but only got a reduced fine.

Now if they were to do that to the "loud pipes saves lives" crowd it would make a difference here. But around here, if you don't have a loud Harley, you ain't shit. Even the cops have loud (as in non-stock exhaust pipes) HDs.

I live in Lake Jackson, Tx
So, just out of curiosity, why is a guy from TX reading a worthless POS rag like the Mpls Star/Tribune? Hope you don't ever expect to see any objective news in that piece of asswipe. I'd know, I used to live there.

I pretty much agree with Skoot on the loud pipes deal, but did you see the other points in this article - like the one about bikes being useless recreational vehicles? Direct quote from article:

In the Northern climate, it is clear that motorcycles are not an integral part of our transportation system for they cannot be operated during our long winter. The owners of motorcycles have alternative means of transportation. The motorcycle is an optional vehicle for pleasure, not utility. It is a toy, albeit an expensive one.
Hell, if that's the case, why not just ban the damn motorcycles altogether? In reading the entire article, I was struck by two points:

1. The author is a non-biker who hasn't the slightest clue about bikes or how they're used.

2. The article was typical of the silly bullshit found in the Opinion section of the Strib.

Aftermarket (loud) pipes are a big industry and huge source of profit for those involved. A new Harley Davidson isn't loud on the dealer's showroom floor but the majority of buyers have the dealer install "for off-road use only" pipes on the bikes before taking delivery. One wonders what they do with the 'mountain' of stock mufflers that must accumulate?

H-D isn't the only offender: Triumph likes to sell similar stuff -- and the magazine journos report favorably on the louder open pipes. It all helps sell more and make more money.

Maybe it's like 'prohibition'? ....just a stupid and un-enforceable concept (noise laws); and should be eliminated?

So, just out of curiosity, why is a guy from TX reading a worthless POS rag like the Mpls Star/Tribune? Hope you don't ever expect to see any objective news in that piece of asswipe. I'd know, I used to live there.
I found the link to that write-up at S-T.N and thought it would be some good reading for some here.

Hell, if that's the case, why not just ban the damn motorcycles altogether? In reading the entire article, I was struck by two points:
1. The author is a non-biker who hasn't the slightest clue about bikes or how they're used.

2. The article was typical of the silly bullshit found in the Opinion section of the Strib.
Yes it is apparent that he is a non-biker and would never understand.

At the annual 'Lonestar Rally' they have in Galveston (Texas) one need only walk down the main drag to 'enjoy' the problem. The open-pipe Harley dudes all roll by, nose-to-tail, parade mode, revving their engines until all the storefront glass is shaking....forget about having a conversation with your friend next to you..and you better put down your drink so you can cover your ears...yeah, its great. The only thing that breaks up the noise are the handful of sportbike riders that choose to participate; I'm sorry to report that they take great delight in testing their rev-limiters with the 4-into-none pipes they have, while idling behind the HD guys. Just as obnoxious and deafening; I mean, WTF? Are all these guys lacking in the 'nads dept? :rolleyes: *BUT* it is a bike rally, so I suppose it goes with the territory; however I can definitely understand a non-biker bitching when these guys cut loose in a neighborhood. I like a good strong exhaust note myself, but when my ears start bleeding......

I think the loud pipes issue is a problem for cities, towns, and villages across the US. The small village of Greenport, NY is a few miles away from me here and they get inundated with bikes on summer weekends resulting in forums with discussions that commonly go like this:

I hate the motocycles too! Unless we as a community decide embrace them and derive our livings from them, I say we crack down hard. Call the police everytime you hear loud pipes. Maybe we sit at Claudios and call in DWI's on bikers as they leave on Sundays... Anything we can do to get the word out that Greenport Village doesn't want your loud illegal pipes in town!

**I have friends with bikes, but they don't have 107 Decible mufflers or no mufflers on their bikes. I am not against bikers or anythign they do or represent, i just hate the noise that their pipes makes when 100 of them rumble in and out of the village. When you add this to the LOUD music that cluadios has from Friday 9PM thorugh sunday 7PM, it makes it hard to enjoy my weekend being a village resident!

Gangs of motorcyclists gun their engines as they roar back and forth on city boulevards,
It would help things if this :asshat2: would avoid such colorful adjectives as "Gangs", "gun" and "roar". I certainly agree that loud pipes should go directly to jail, but so heavily slanting that paragraph tosses his journalistic credibility out the window.

Gangs of motorcyclists gun their engines as they roar back and forth on city boulevards,
It would help things if this :asshat2: would avoid such colorful adjectives as "Gangs", "gun" and "roar". I certainly agree that loud pipes should go directly to jail, but so heavily slanting that paragraph tosses his journalistic credibility out the window.
Good thing there are no straight piped or nearly unmuffled cars driving around any of our highways.

Hmmmmm kinda on the fence with this one....depends on situation. Pipes just for the sake of noise, no. Pipes that make more power (if used with some discretion)...sure. My FJR has stock exhaust and I enjoy the quiet. My Vmax has Supertraps on it, they lighten the bike and add power. (the bike actually seems to run even better with 3 more disks in the muffler but the noise is too loud). With the Vmax, I try not to be excessive where it annoys other people but it certainly makes an ‘interesting’ sound when you roll on hard. As to the fellow that wrote the newspaper article….I see him as ignorant and narrow minded.