So who has actually used a non OE filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

Reaction score
Have yet to come across a thread like this. Long story short, got caught in a pinch and went with one of the filters listed in the Bin, the Bosch 3300 which is shorter than the OE. Is running the shorter Bosch going to be okay in the long run? I've only warmed the bike up after doing the oil change to full temp them a few quick revs. Let it sit for a few to check the level.

Note: the Bosch 3300 was small enough that only 1 gallon of oil put the level almost at the top mark on the sight glass.

So how many have actually used non OE filters?

I found a sale on Amazon last year for the Purolator filters reccomended as replacements. Bought 8, free shipping, about $25. When I got them I spray painted them all black. Have gone through a few already. My engine has not imploded.

ST7317 must fit just about everything out there. Fits my Pilot, Fit, WRX, Shadow and now the FJR. Been using them on the cars for years with no issues but I've shied away from non-OEM filters for the bikes....dunno why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although destined for NEPRT, I've used Bosch 3323 for years on two different FJR's with neither blowing up...yet. Same length as stock and still only use a gallon of oil for a change.

--G

I use the Purolator Pure One most of the time. I used the Bosch a couple of times when the shop I was in didn't have Purolators. They work fine. Just don't overtighten the car filters.

Most of the time I use the Puralator 14610, but the Bosch were 2 for 1 and the Puralator were out of stock, so currently using the Bosch 3323. Comparable filters, imo. I've used the shorter ones a couple of times, but didn't feel the love.

I use the cheapest, piece of crap Fram makes, NOT...

So far, I use Momma Yammy filters, but have used Supertech, K&N, Purolater, Bosch, Mobil 1, and HiLo on my other bikes with no problems other than the one siezed piston ring and the two thrown rods, NOT.

Another one using Purolater Pure 1 painted black; inexpensive when bought in bulk from Amazon and works/looks great.

AC%20Delco%20PF%20932F%20Filter.jpg

Doubles as a left side hiway peg.

I have a stash of the yellow Purolators and a couple St7317s. Been that way since first oil change 40K+ miles ago.

You guys that paint oil filters: make an appointment and get some professional help. Can't you find any chrome covers?