So who has actually used a non OE filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a stash of the yellow Purolators and a couple St7317s. Been that way since first oil change 40K+ miles ago.
You guys that paint oil filters: make an appointment and get some professional help. Can't you find any chrome covers?
JC Whitney, Dennis Kirk, and Chaparrel Racing all sell HiLo Chrome Oil Filters for the FJR.

Huuuuummmmm, I guess I'll have to get one or two, NOT...

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

Although destined for NEPRT, I've used Bosch 3323 for years on two different FJR's with neither blowing up...yet. Same length as stock and still only use a gallon of oil for a change.
--G
I also use the Bosch 3323. Used them for 4 years on my 04 and now use them on the 08. I like the fact that you don't have to paint them black. They already are.

GP

Ah ya bunch a Puddin' Heads!! :p Ya'll made of money?

Just do like me an rinse 'em a few times with fuel oil... let dry, and reinstall.

Them OEM filters are the shit B)

:jester:

I use the Wally world Supertech 7317 and Rotella Dino juice.

IMHO oil is a commodity, very subtle differences, there are differences and there are many threads on this. Jestal has some great things to say on this. As long as you change it regularly and get a new filter each time, you're good to go. I haven't heard of catastrophic engine failure due to oil or filter issues from a particular brand. Unless something real bone headed happened.

Do a Google search and read up on this.

I have a stash of the yellow Purolators
You guys that paint oil filters: make an appointment and get some professional help. Can't you find any chrome covers?
I can handle the blue ones, the black ones, even the white ones but that gritty baby shit yellow sorry cant do it. :bad:

up till last year I used yamaha filter; then (when sidelined from riding) determined that OEM doesn't have a high pressure by-pass valve.

Checked with a friend who had actually cut one open and still had it on hand - yep no by-pass valve;

and filtering media seems like a sponge compound.

switched to walmart supertech, which does have a bypass valve, you can see the spring loading structure clearly.

also has regular paper filter media, which has got to hold finer particles than that sponge stuff.

can't tell any difference ... but that's not a surprise

Last edited by a moderator:
Look left....spray paint your oil filters?...you people must get out of the shower to pee....sheeez... :rolleyes:

Blessings,

Bobby

It takes a minute of so to paint, looks better, makes me feel better; don't know why so many have to throw a spear or arrow at us that do paint . If you saw or use that new Pure 1, painted mustard, I know I wouldn't want to see that baby-turd yellow thing hanging off the side of my bike. So take this for whatever, but know that I say this mostly in jest: :p

I read up a bit on the internet. One engineer "expert" said the Bosch 3323 was the shitz because it had a bypass valve of 8-11 psi and dirty oil bypassed was better than no oil in the high revving motorcycle engines. Said the Pure One and Super Tech were next best.

Next "expert" on the neenernet said the Pure One was the shitz because bypass never happened in real-world conditions unless you never change the filter and it gets clogged, and cleaning of 20 micron material was best, and the Pure One had more filter material and the flow-back valve was more robust. Flow back of dirty oil after shut off was much more important to keep gunk out.

Both said stay away from Fram and any made by Fram.

Both said the OEM is adequate but not great.

Finally, both agreed heavy duty use such as racing calls for excellent filtration and more frequent changing. They suggested looking into racing filters as an option, but they didn't know much about them.

I can supply links if people give a crap.

Finally I had a private PM conversation with Jestal a couple years ago, which I won't share without his permission, but it boiled down to: people worry too much. Run the OEM because it was built for the bike and tested by engineers for this bike. And change them at least as often as recommended and you are good to go.

So what do I run? I ran OEM until it was out of warranty just to cut down on possible hassles (the bike never blew up) every three thousand miles. Pure One 10's after that because people thought I had them custom painted to match the bike the color was so close, and more filter material sounded better to me. After they changed color I spray painted one black. In Colorado I got a quick oil change at NAFO at a sponsoring dealer and they put an oem filter on. Didn't worry me. Put a spray painted black Pure One on last time because I had one in the garage. A couple weeks ago (after only 300 miles on an oil change and filter change), my mechanic did a full tune-up and fluid change, etc. and forgot I told him it didn't need an oil change and threw on a OEM-style filter they use on Kawasaki's (they sell that brand of motorcycle). I ain't worried. Next? Well since my Yami dealer went belly-up a couple months back, it makes the choice easier as the Pure One's are sold at almost internet prices two blocks away at BiMart. And I have a lot of left-over high heat black spray paint I don't want to waste, so... you guess.

I think as long as a quality filter is used and changed every 3-4 thousand miles under normal conditions it doesn't matter. And that may be overkill but makes me sleep soundly. If buying a 10 dollar filter makes peeps sleep better, then do it.

And now I can't avoid paperwork due yesterday and I will return to that, because a job keeps the filters spinning onto the bike, and that is far more important.

YMMV

Yer yapping on the forum with work paperwork due yesterday? Sounds like america. Hell in a handbasket.

I think I will find some John Deere green for my filters just to start new rumors about whats best. :)