Sold my BMW, cash burning a hole in my pocket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found myself in a similar situation, but with my son, not my wife (she only rides pillion). I've thought about getting a second FJR, but have always resisted since some of the time I am going to want to ride the second bike, and after-all... variety IS the spice of life.

My solution was to get a V-strom DL1000. It is different enough to be fun for me and I can blast around on the dirt roads out in the country when I have a hankering. I have it setup with Givi side bags and trunk and a Russell daylong seat so that bike is all ready for long trip 2-up touring when need be. If I had a healthier bank account or excessive cash laying around like you do, that V-strom might be a Super Tenare or Ducati Multistrada. Either way, the lure of variety is far more enticing (to me) than having twin bikes.

That Yamaha Super Tenere looks pretty cool to me if you want an adventure bike, but perhaps you want to stay with a Sport Tourer.

Seeing as you live so close to the North Pole you should consider an ST1300. It has better wind protection and is much hotter (in the thermal sense) than our FJRs. Yes, the ST is kind of porky compared to an FJR, but she's actually pretty agile for such a big heavy girl.

I've often thought that if I had the money and space I'd have an ST1300 for winter and an FJR for the rest of the year.

Of course what we call 'winter' here in Central Texas may differ from what folks up in the Dakotas mean by that term. :D

I'd vote for the Bandit 1250 too. Traded mine in on the FJR, liked everything about it except the protection from the elements.

i like the sounds of a tiger or the bandit or used fjr not so hip on the concours a couple reasons top heavy and 18" front tire 16" rear good tires are

getting harder and harder to get i had a lot of good miles on mine but wouldnt go back after riding the fjr

How about a sexy Italian like a Moto Guzzi Norge? I know where there's one for sale. :rolleyes: A little over your budget though.

Ok, now you've all got me thinking, really curious about this Suzuki thing... I may just have found one to seek out. Anyone done any serious time in the saddle on one of these guys? Can you put 1,000 in a day on it like my FJR?

Ok - doing a lot of surfing with all your great suggestions... anyone out there own and ride a Tiger long-distance? How about the Multi-Strada? I am entertaining the idea of the 650 in either the BMW (as suggested) or the Multistrada since my wife may be riding it some as well, but I am concerned about the size of the motor at 80mph.

Ok - doing a lot of surfing with all your great suggestions... anyone out there own and ride a Tiger long-distance? How about the Multi-Strada? I am entertaining the idea of the 650 in either the BMW (as suggested) or the Multistrada since my wife may be riding it some as well, but I am concerned about the size of the motor at 80mph.
The BMW F650GS can be one of two completely different bikes. The more recent version actually a detuned 800cc twin cylinder engine (not a 650cc as one might assume). The older version (up to MY2007) was a single cylinder 650, which has been relabeled as the G650GS now. The Multistrada 650 is a 90 degree L twin as is the Wee-strom 650.

Any of the bikes just mentioned will easily pull the ton (the BMW single just barely). Cruising on the highway at 80 is no problem, though on the single cylinder BMW you'll be getting more thumping vibes. If you are considering a smaller displacement, do it all, adventure style bike, you'd be doing yourself a big disservice if you do not look at the Wee-strom.

2005-Suzuki-DL650V-Strom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The BMW F650GS can be one of two completely different bikes. The more recent version actually a detuned 800cc twin cylinder engine (not a 650cc as one might assume). The older version (up to MY2007) was a single cylinder 650, which has been relabeled as the G650GS now. The Multistrada 650 is a 90 degree L twin as is the Wee-strom 650.

Any of the bikes just mentioned will easily pull the ton (the BMW single just barely). Cruising on the highway at 80 is no problem, though on the single cylinder BMW you'll be getting more thumping vibes. If you are considering a smaller displacement, do it all, adventure style bike, you'd be doing yourself a big disservice if you do not look at the Wee-strom.

2005-Suzuki-DL650V-Strom.jpg
+1

I was actually shopping between the 2 (DL & f650gs) I ended up with a Dakar from Phoenix off of Ebay.

I rode it back to West Palm Beach, Fl from Phoenix, I was surprised on its ability and feel on the slab ride

home. It was set up for off road and still did fine. I put in 2 1100+ mile days on this garage queen (4500 miles)

and the "thumper" reputation gave way to her new name.. "Thump-purrr"! I am only planning a few additions

to her before I take her on a U.C.C ride next year. A Russell Day Long Saddle and different wind screen and tires

other than that... I love this bike. I must admit the FJR has seen 0 miles in the last month. This bike is just plain FUN!

Shedding 200lbs is a much different feeling. :D

Wow, now there's what I'm looking for... the same guy in different skin LOL 2005 FJR and a 650GS. This could be me, really really soon.

I'm looking at the Wee-Stroms also on a prior suggestion... doesn't seem to be as many of them around but maybe I'll dig a little deeper.

Thank you!

Ok, now you've all got me thinking, really curious about this Suzuki thing... I may just have found one to seek out. Anyone done any serious time in the saddle on one of these guys? Can you put 1,000 in a day on it like my FJR?
I did some pretty long days on my prior gen. bandit. It's got a comfortable riding position, but not great protection from the fairing. As compared to a wee-strom, pretty different bikes. If you're looking for a bike that can (more than) keep up with an FJR in performance, it's a good choice for the money. The wee-strom may be more comfortable for a long day on the highway, the bandit way more power.

Here's a vid off Holeshot's site to give you an idea (171 speedo indicated)

https://www.holeshot.com/videos/Ban1250SpeedRun.mpg

We sold our FJR & K1200 Bee-Emm-Ww and have both 07 Moto Guzzi Norge which I have come to love way more than I ever felt about the FJR that my S/O put more than 20K miles on.

We have a Dual Sport V-Strom 1000 & MG Norge GT1200 which is the best of both worlds...

Always on the lookout for another inexpensive FJR for her but for comfort and Elegance the Norge does it all for me. You might consider that.

Has alot of factory farkles on it and easy to maintain...

The quest is over - I bought a 2003 Vstrom 1000 this past weekend. Mostly because I liked the yellow color! lol I'll keep everyone posted... rode it about 350 miles so far. I think I'm going to like it, fits real nice... It will be strange to be back on the FJR after awhile. Two totally different bikes.

thanks for all the input everyone.

Jason

Yes, meeting many of them... already knee-deep over there too. Don't know what I would have ever done w/out the internet.

Working on a list of things I need to do to the bike to get it "Jason" farkled... Fuse panel for GPS, a/v (iPod), heatTroller, etc... different windshield, center stand..

Do you know anything about this clutch basket mod that I'm reading about on the StromTroopers forum? Worth it, or leave alone? Best windshield for a 2003 (I know, harder to find than the '04 and newer) and best center-stand...

Thanks.

Personally, if you don't want a duplifeejer, then I'd go with a mid-size dual sport that is or can be easily tricked up to be comfy on a long ride (Wee-Strom, 800GS, Tiger 800). that way, the two of you can travel on the long roads together, but you have multiple options once you arrive. To wit, park the FJR and use the dual sport to go up to a trail head. Or if you arrive to a place you're going to use as a basecamp for a few days and then tour around, park the dual sport and two-up the FJR for sightseeing days. Gives lots of options.

Yes, meeting many of them... already knee-deep over there too. Don't know what I would have ever done w/out the internet.

Working on a list of things I need to do to the bike to get it "Jason" farkled... Fuse panel for GPS, a/v (iPod), heatTroller, etc... different windshield, center stand..
Well, this is your thread, so I guess it isn't a hijack... ;)

First things that I installed on my lock stock '04 Man-strom when I got it last fall were an SW Motech center stand and a set of SW Motech quick detachable pannier brackets. On those I can interchangeably mount either Givi E36 bags (for longer trips) or a pair of Seahorse SE720 cases for daily use. My link here

I have the stock windshield at the lowest setting and have tipped it back with 1/2" spacers and longer screws. This eliminated the vast majority of highway buffeting. I can't see how I'd ever want to ride this bike with one of those giant shields I see other guys using.

I also installed a Fuzeblock under the seat and used it to wire a set of Oxford Heated Grips. The Oxford grips do come with a 4 level heat controller. Not as nice as a Heattroller, but they came with the grips. For as often as I'll be using them, that should suffice for now. I mounted the Oxford grip controller and a Datel meter up on the handlebar clamps with some home made mini-dash-panels. Here's the link to that.

Do you know anything about this clutch basket mod that I'm reading about on the StromTroopers forum? Worth it, or leave alone?
I know quite a bit about that, more from discussions on the VSRI forum than Stromtroopers. I thought I was inflicted with the dreaded clutch chudder. But as it turned out what I was actually feeling was drive chain vibrations due to the the sloppy rear sprocket carrier issue. You'll want to be sure that which you have before spending a lot of money and/or time fixing the clutch. Here's my cheapo (essentially free) fix: Clicky

Do you know anything about this clutch basket mod that I'm reading about on the StromTroopers forum? Worth it, or leave alone? Best windshield for a 2003 (I know, harder to find than the '04 and newer) and best center-stand...

Thanks.
I had an 03 1000 and now an 07 Dl1000 since new - No clutch basket problems.. For what it is worth, IT IS A NON problem that does not really exist. .

Of all the brands of bikes I have owned over lotsa years I have never had a more practical or reliable MC than the VSTROM, not have I have I ever witnessed a bigger bunch of belly achin cry babies on the internet. They complain they can hear the engine or wind buffeting, etc... Drive a freaken car I say.

Just ride it! Many people have documented over 100K miles on the VEE 1000 without issues... They are out riding. (Ref CycleWorld May 11 Vee with 195K)

It's the DL650 guys with Napoleon attitudes you have to watch out for with their Walmart Saddlebags and chevy cut out fabric air filters !