Something To Consider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

motorgod

And now..let me introduce the one and only....MOTO
Reaction score
I read alot about people using synthetic oil, iridium spark plugs, etc...because they claim that you can go longer on maintenance changes. I'm all for using the best products in my FJR and I do use synthetic oil and the iridium plugs. HOWEVER, I still change everything at the scheduled service intervals. I purchased a four year YES and I don't want any issues with the maintenance shedule in the event of a claim. I doubt that Yamaha would be impressed with all of the upgraded stuff I used if I did not follow the maintenance shedule.

Any thoughts on this?

I am rely hyper sensitive. I use Red Line oil and still change it every 2000 miles. :p

I concur, use the best products, but stick to the manufacturers schedule. You should maximize performance/wear while still maintaining a valid warranty status. Best of both worlds! IMHO ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're wasting your money. Lubrication is lubrication as long as the properties of the lubricant do not degrade. You're paying a premium for the longer life of the synthetic lubricant and not using it.

But hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself or your bike, it's all good. B)

Theres more to synthetics than longevity. Got yer avatar right here...
sondral.jpg

Then I hate to tell ya, but its Brittany. They hate it when you can't spell their name. ;) To me, shes just another skank attempting to mask a total lack of talent by showin' the bod. But then, thats me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic... (Hard to do with that avatar!)

I am planning to do my second oil change myself. Do i need to keep the reciepts for the oil and filter if i have a warranty problem? What is the best filter/oil combo.

I should have started my own thread, But what the hell. Thanks

@Galaxyblue - It's not a bad idea, but probably not necessary if you log the oil/filter changes with mileage and dates done. If your claim has nothing to do with the oil, no issue. If it does have something to do with the oil, it would be a good thing to have documentation for your owner-service oil changes.

Best oil & filter? Clean oil and Yamaha, Pure One or Bosch are the most often top rated filters on the FJR lists/forums. Seriously on the oil, pick what you like, just stay away from auto oils that have the claim of "energy conserving" on the lable. These have friction modifiers that can be bad for wet clutches.

The various moto-specific full synth oils will usually offer a noticable smoothness to shifting, but there is an endless variation of oils in use.

I like oil, and also think the fact I can't spell the skanks name is a plus is a positive thing... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.