Source For Switched Power

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahlr

Reaction score
Installing a set of Motolites (caliper mount) on the FJR. Need a switched power source for the relay circuit. I (think) I had read previously that the blue taillite wire is a good switched power source but can't seem to locate the post. Like something toward rear of the bike as I mounted the relay and fuse by the tool tray. This is an 04 abs model. Thanks guys

I used the forward the running lights and ran a switched power block off of them. Then connect up all kinds of cool stuff to it.

I assume you're using motolights to increase your visability somewhat, not because you think they'll help you see better, right?

This page shows a switched power source up under the instrument panel; I could see it, but I couldn't tap into it with a scotchblok. So I did as Woodstock did, and just used one of the running lights. Works fine, although it won't leave your aux lights off during engine starting, so you might want to turn them off for starting.

- Mark

Detailed photos and descriptions on how to add power distribution blocks, how to use the windshield auto-retract for switched power (and avoid tapping your wiring harness) and more at:

Bikes-N-Spikes

I used the instructions that markjenn references. Soldered a lead into the wire shown to trigger the relay. I like it because there is no draw from accessories until bike is running.