Speeding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malve

Reaction score
We've all been there. Either you come up on a LEO at warp speed and put the breaks on a few hundred yards behind and sit there wondering if you are going to get pulled over or you get passed by a speeding LEO and you start trailing behind at 90+. Monday, I was a ways behind a motorcycle CHiP going 90+ for a half an hour wondering how big a risk I was taking.

So, has anybody ever essentially been pulled over from an officer in front of you? Obviously they would have to slow down or stop to fascilitate this and of course they could radio to someone else behind if available.

Kind of liking playing Chinese roulette..

(2 rounds chambered)

Foolish business, IMHO. Do as I SAY not as I DO comes to mind? <_<

We've all been there. Either you come up on a LEO at warp speed and put the breaks on a few hundred yards behind and sit there wondering if you are going to get pulled over or you get passed by a speeding LEO and you start trailing behind at 90+. Monday, I was a ways behind a motorcycle CHiP going 90+ for a half an hour wondering how big a risk I was taking.
So, has anybody ever essentially been pulled over from an officer in front of you? Obviously they would have to slow down or stop to fascilitate this and of course they could radio to someone else behind if available.
Dude, what the hell are you, of all people, thinking??! :lol:

I think the only solution is for you to become a cop. You know too many of them not to be one - ;)

I've been told that they can pace you from in front of you. (We were at the donut shop when discussing it, not on the side of the road. :D )

I've been told that they can pace you from in front of you. (We were at the donut shop when discussing it, not on the side of the road. :D )
Um...We have "same lane" RADAR technology now. I don't know where the Hell you guys have been for the last 20 years. If I am traveling at say 60mph going north, and a car is coming up behind me, also going north, all there has to be is a difference of 3mph. I can pick him up. This also works if the car behind me is going slower than I am. The same principle works for the front. If I am still traveling north and see a northbound car gaining distance, I can use my forward same lane setting and get that car's speed. Again, this works even if I am traveling faster than the car I am targeting.

Maybe I am missing something here....shouldn't the LEO be setting the example? Why was he just traveling at high rate of speed? If it was an emergency, he should have been displaying his emergency lights. Maybe he would have felt guilty himself for pulling you over when he wasn't setting the example. Just a thought, thats something I would fight in court.

Maybe I am missing something here....shouldn't the LEO be setting the example? Why was he just traveling at high rate of speed? If it was an emergency, he should have been displaying his emergency lights. Maybe he would have felt guilty himself for pulling you over when he wasn't setting the example. Just a thought, thats something I would fight in court.
Yeah, how can he drive "safely" at the same speed I'm going "unsafely" behind him?

Yeah, how can he drive "safely" at the same speed I'm going "unsafely" behind him?

Because they are "trained professionals"? No disrespect to any of you LEO's here.. except for Zilla of course ;)

I don't believe Armadillo riding is recognized as duty status.

:jester:

Um...We have "same lane" RADAR technology now. I don't know where the Hell you guys have been for the last 20 years. If I am traveling at say 60mph going north, and a car is coming up behind me, also going north, all there has to be is a difference of 3mph. I can pick him up. This also works if the car behind me is going slower than I am. The same principle works for the front. If I am still traveling north and see a northbound car gaining distance, I can use my forward same lane setting and get that car's speed. Again, this works even if I am traveling faster than the car I am targeting.
Sure tell us what not to do, how about some pointers on how to speed and get away with it. :lol:

All that being said,what gives chp the right or what makes it safer for them to cruise along at 90+ for half an hour. Or is that just another place some cops feel they are above the law?

Because they are "trained professionals"? No disrespect to any of you LEO's here.. except for Zilla of course ;)

I don't believe Armadillo riding is recognized as duty status.

:jester:

None taken..hehe :D

All that being said,what gives chp the right or what makes it safer for them to cruise along at 90+ for half an hour. Or is that just another place some cops feel they are above the law?
Um... I don't work for CHP, so I don't know. But I have an idea: The next time one stops you, drop your balls and ask him face to face; since my days of giving out free advice about anything we do are quickly coming to an end.

Cops dont have the right to exceed the speed limit except in an emergency. However you dont know where they are going or what they are doing, in theory lights and siren are required to go fast but sometimes it is just not practical and it causes more problems to have them on then not, people do weird things like stop in the middle of the interstate thinking they are doing the right thing. They just panic or they are really stupid.... It would be pretty hypocritical of an officer to give you a ticket for something he does himself. Alot of officers do it all the time though.

I think it should be a perk of the job myself, like lots of other jobs, it should have some extras (tough job at times). But dont ticket folks for stuff they you do yourself.

To answer the question asked. I have pulled someone over before doing exactly what Malve described.

For the other questions that are out there, yes, a police officer driving does indeed have to obey the traffic laws, unless circumstances dictate otherwise. For example, emergency call, or during other course of their required duty. Every state and many jurisdictions have varying rules regarding this. In Oregon, a police vehicle can violate traffic code if responding to a call for service, positioning or attempting to apprehend a violator where the apprehension could be hindered by the use of lights and/or siren. So, sitting in a No Parking zone waiting for someone to run a red light is permissible. As is speeding to catch a speeder.

Here's a scenario to consider. This is what happened on one of the times I did what Malve is suggesting:

I was on I-5 southbound coming out of down town Portland when I saw a vehicle get on from the Hood Avenue on ramp at a higher rate of speed than traffic. I accelerated to get close enough to do a good pace(*) when I noticed in my rear view mirror a VW changing lanes coming up behind me at an even higher rate of speed. While I was originally pacing the Acura that got on the highway, I continued south and accelerated to 80 (I estimated the Acura was going 75 in a 55). At 80, the VW was still approaching, so I went to 85. The VW continued to approach until it was about 10 lengths behind me where it slowed to match my speed.

I pulled into the right lane, it eventually passed me, and I pulled it over for 85/55.

*pace - Some people think an officer has to "pace" someone for a set distance. This isn't the case (at least in Oregon). If I am going a set speed and I can see a visual disparity between my speed and the other vehicle's speed (ie: it's visually pulling away from me), that's all that's needed to establish that the vehicle is going at least as fast as I was.

Same is true with radar. If I see a big truck and a car coming towards me, and I use a radar and get a reading of say 80, but I can clearly see that the car is going faster than the truck, I can write the car a ticket for 80 because I can articulate that he was going at least 80. In other words, if my radar got the truck, and I can see the car is passing the truck, I can clearly and conclusively prove the car was going at least 80.

every job has it's perks, as they say membership has it's privileges.

if you want those privileges join the academy but be careful what you wish for.