Spieglers - And Brake Fluid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to try and get them installed myself in the next couple of weeks and was pondering the brake fluid thing. With DOT 3, 4, 5, and 5.1 choices I was wondering if any others might be confused like I am.

I believe I answered my own question by Clicking Here and will go with DOT 4 fluid. Don't think I want to go with silicone in the 5 flavor.

Then choosing brands, I'm inclined to go with Motul 600 which says it exceeds DOT 4 specs. Thinking that stuff is about $12-$15 per half liter.

Any other sagely experience from this crew?

Do NOT take DOT5 silicon based fluids. These do not take up water, and though that may seem a good thing, it is actually a bad thing unless you want to change the fluid every few weeks to prevend corrosion inside your brake system.

DOT4 and DOT5.1 are both glycol based and are safe to use.

DOT4 and DOT5.1 are both glycol based and are safe to use.
Ditto.....any Dot4 or Dot5.1 will work fine. Dot5 is a no, no. I'm using MOTUL Dot5.1 which is the latest generation of approved fluids for ABS.

Dry Boiling Point: 522*F/272*C

Wet Boiling Point: 365*F/185*C

I'm using DOT 4 Prestone. Unless you're on the race track, or running the canyons, at way too fast a pace, any quality brand DOT 4 will be fine.

Thanks all. Great information and helps me make a better choice.

I think I'm going to find 4 or 5.1 at my local store.