Sport/Tour selection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dravnx

Reaction score
The owners manual tells me to not have the bike in motion when shifting between the 2 modes. Is this a liability thing or a mechanical/electrical thing? I've been changing modes on the fly until I read this last week. I did discover that the throttle has to be off to change modes. I keep it in Sport mode most of the time.

When I'm on the highway I run in T, but most of the time it's in S for the roads round these parts. I didn't know you werent supposed to swap on the fly...interesting

I raised an eyebrow on this one and was skeptical of what you wrote and wanted specific phrasing, but instead of ask you I found it in the owners manual on page 4-23 (for '14 and '15 at least):

! WARNING: Do not change the D-mode while the vehicle is moving.
With no explanation why.

It could be a liability thing.....

I've always done it on-the-fly and, bet almost everybody else does, and never heard an issue on this forum or elsewhere, and have a certain amount of faith that if it was a mechanical issue the engineers would have made stopping a requirement via system control.

I'm not going to stress about it and keep doing what I've been doing (the next time I ride a Gen 3 anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
I never noticed it saying not to switch in motion before you brought it up. Just that the throttle had to be closed.

FSM says a lot of things... Don't shift too high, don't ride w/ 1 hand, don't ride w/ no hands, don't use trunk AND bags....

I think we really know what works and what doesn't. Mostly, this bike just WORKS!
punk.gif

If it was really a mechanical issue between the sport and tour mode, to be switched while moving, it would have an interlock with the speed single. It's just liability. The differance between the two is throttle response gain. Sport throttle response is much faster than tour.

Thanx, guys. Kinda what I thought. It's like the speed/shift chart, completely out of whack with the real world.

On my 2014 that's just the spring rate and ride height for the rear....solo, with luggage, passenger, and passenger with luggage...ff

It's a lawyer who made that rule. Imagine a boob on his new fjr (no one from here of course) who switches from T to S without moving the throttle and the resulting surge of power runs him into the truck he was following too close.

Now, is this possible, I don't know.

But,

Most rules or recommendations exist because of something stupid someone once did. And if it ever happened anywhere and Yamaha knew about it and didn't warn us all about it, we'll, you know the rest.

FSM says a lot of things... Don't shift too high, don't ride w/ 1 hand, don't ride w/ no hands, don't use trunk AND bags....
I think we really know what works and what doesn't. Mostly, this bike just WORKS!
punk.gif
Yeah, and "don't drive on the railroad tracks."

hqdefault.jpg

And then Mr. Zappo said "Imagine a boob on an FJR" and that's all I can think about now.

Last edited by a moderator:
To change between T & S modes on my 2015ES I just have to be running below 45 mph. Or is it 40? I mostly just leave it in S mode unless the roads are wet.

On the demo days they were inviting and encouraging to switch the modes on the fly with only condition being that the throttle needs to be in neutral position/released in order for the switch to work.

I just pull the clutch in on my '13.
I can't "pull the clutch" on my YCC-S '14. But I can change between S and T so long as the throttle is closed, very natural since it's the throttle-hand thumb that has to reach the switch.
I only use touring on particularly slippery roads. The immediate throttle response is far safer when playing dodgems on any normal road. Even if it does occasionally excite the traction control.