Sport/Tour selection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throttle off at any speed, change D-mode at will. If the throttle is on at all it will ignore the attempt and keep it in the current mode. I've done it a thousand+ times already.

Dan

Based on this nonsense, I will -- gasp! -- attempt to commute home while in Sport Mode. If you don't hear from me by Tuesday, it's probably bad news.

^^^^^^ Funny how that works.

If I tried to commute in the T mode I'd be dead within 2 miles of work. When I need to go, I need to go (!), none of this throttle nanny telling me NO when a Peterbilt is trying to run me down or I need to accelerate into a hole in the traffic.

When I picked up my bike from the dealer new it was in T mode. I switched to S and have never switched back. I don't think I'm going to use that function very often.

I don't use "T" mode nearly as much as when I first got the 2014. Using "T" in the beginning helped me to get very acquainted with all aspects of the motorcycle operation without developing a "safe cracker's touch" on the throttle. I now only use it (and it is very handy for this) when I am in thick traffic or if the street surface is damp while in traffic, both conditions experienced often while I commute through downtown San Francisco on 19th Avenue in the dark of the early morning.

It's a cool feature and does not detract from the "rideability" if one chooses to ignore it.

It's all good.

Dan

I noticed on my 2013 the T mode feels more like my 2005 did but the S mode is like WOW, that kicked on the afterburners!! Feels like S mode would lift the front wheel up with little effort.
thumbsupsmiley.png

Well now I have to go try changing modes while moving again. Maybe I didn't have the throttle completely closed? Not that I use T mode much anyway but now I'm curious.

I don't dislike S. I just use T almost exclusively. More than adequate, even when traffic escapes are required.

Used S-mode over the weekend. Did not crash nor burst into flames. The motorbike changed modes on the roll without pulling in the clutch lever.

For those who believe S-mode is required for commuting -- like, maybe ionbeam -- ......... well, ...... I actually have nothing to say because I, too, have commuted in metro Boston at rush hour. Those people are crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used S-mode over the weekend. Did not crash nor burst into flames. The motorbike changed modes on the roll without pulling in the clutch lever.
For those who believe S-mode is required for commuting -- like, maybe ionbeam -- ......... well, ...... I actually have nothing to say because I, too, have commuted in metro Boston at rush hour. Those people are crazy.

Many years ago I made sales calls in Boston. Look out for the Boston right turn from the left lane!!! I read somewhere, Boston was the first city to use stop lights because motorists were habitually not stopping at stop signs.

My observations are that the bike makes the same hp in either mode. Sport puts the power in the first half of the throttle and touring makes its power in the last half.

Simply put from Yami: " Twisting the throttle in sport mode opens the throttle faster than the touring mode." I have always changed mine on the fly from Day 1. Enjoy the use of both for different reasons and situations.

It's a lawyer who made that rule. Imagine a boob on his new fjr (no one from here of course) who switches from T to S without moving the throttle and the resulting surge of power runs him into the truck he was following too close.
Now, is this possible, I don't know.

But,

Most rules or recommendations exist because of something stupid someone once did. And if it ever happened anywhere and Yamaha knew about it and didn't warn us all about it, we'll, you know the rest.
It would be cool if someone on a Gen3 took it to the track, then punched it from Tour to Sport when leaned over on the gas in a tight right hander, then tell us what happens!!

^^^^^^ Funny how that works.
If I tried to commute in the T mode I'd be dead within 2 miles of work. When I need to go, I need to go (!), none of this throttle nanny telling me NO when a Peterbilt is trying to run me down or I need to accelerate into a hole in the traffic.
While I usually run the twisties in T-Mode at high revs, because of Alan's statement I put it in S-mode for the slab back from Hooterville on Sunday. He is exactly right...S-Mode for commuting it is...or high density slab work.

I will give the S-mode another try in the twisties to see if I can smoothly transition with the throttle at high revs coming hot into a corner.

S mode in the twisties is no problem at all for some of us wheatie Just ride like I do 😗