Sport Touring Camaraderie Ride - Winchester VA - May 1, 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
For the many of you that have attended our annual rides in Winchester VA and Carlisle PA, we're doing it again this year.

Here's the info on the Winchester, VA ride

Sport Touring Camaraderie Ride

WINCHESTER, VA

All makes and brands Motorcycles welcome

Sunday May 1, 2011

Meet for Breakfast at 8:30 am at the

Denny’s Restaurant

At the Flying J Truck Stop

( I-81 exit 323 ) 1530 Rest Church Road

N 39-15.22 W 78-06.13

There will be 5 rides to choose from 150 to 200 miles long

All rides end back at the Flying J Truck Stop

1 of the rides will be a mix of PAVED AND UNPAVED ROADS

CONTACT PERSONS

Concours Owners Group Russell W Fleming 410-374-9687

[email protected]

Yamaha FJR Randy Sinisi 717-439-3814

[email protected]

BMWBMW Eddie Phelps 410-781-7521

[email protected]

WMMA Bowie Pearre 410-775-7209

V-Strom Patrick Sprague 540-743-4874

[email protected]

Concours Owners Group Jimmy Miller 304-268-9586 [email protected]

ALL of these rides are self-guided.

West Virginia Rides & Hollows by Bowie Pearre, Western MD MA 180 miles long

This route follows the base of Little North Mountain to Fox Gap, crosses the ridge to Lost Creek, follows old route 55 to South Branch Valley, through Graybill Hollow, around Ice Mountain, through Smokey Hollow and Siler. You can almost hear the banjo dueling.

Pa Ride by Greg Puterbaugh COG 160 miles long

Sandwiched between two nice jaunts-one to Hancock, Md., and one back, is a trip to motorcycle heaven. The area around Clearville, Pa. has more great roads than most states, and this ride gets you on just a few of them. The twists and turns are endless, the pavement is first rate, the scenery is spectacular, and, to top it off, traffic is practically non-existent.

This route takes you through West Virginia where you will ride Buck Hill Road, Winchester Grade, River Road, Route 9 and Back Creek Valley Road. In Pennsylvania you will ride in Bedford and Fulton Counties on Route 26, Robinsonville Road, Stoney Break Road and McKees’s Gap Road.

Civil War Route by Russell W. Fleming COG 175 miles long

This ride takes you around the edges of some of the Civil War Battles Fields in Maryland and Virginia. You ride on WV Route 901, MD Route 17, VA Route 9, VA Route 50, Route 611, Blueridge Mountain Road, Summit Point Road and Old Charlestown Pike.

Rivers, Race Tracks and Ramblings. By Eddie Phelps BMWBMW 180 miles long

This is a great route for casual riding along some of Virginia's most scenic by-ways. Check out Summit Raceway and then follow the shores of the Shenandoah River. Some of the scenic by-ways include Hillsboro, Snickerstown, Hallway and Marshall Highway, to name a few. Like the wine country you are touring, savor the ride.

Dual Sport Ride by Pat Sprague V-Strom 130 miles long

Looking forward to this one again, had great time last year.

I would love to meet for breakfast and ride, but I will be going to the race Saturday night and will probably not be in bed until the wee hours. I may head out late and buzz the area. Are there any planned lunch stops?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to meet for breakfast and ride, but I will be going to the race Saturday night and will probably not be in bed until the wee hours. I may head out late and buzz the area. Are there any planned lunch stops?
Nothing planned. All rides start and end at the same spot. Some folks choose to stop during the ride and some choose to go straight through. That's one of the beauties of this format. Everyone has their own route sheet and it allows you to go at your own pace and you don't have to worry about keeping up and you don't have to worry about stopping when you want.

Although some will veer off of their routes and head for home, the ones that will come back to the meet point will probably start rolling in around 2:00.

Nothing planned. All rides start and end at the same spot. Some folks choose to stop during the ride and some choose to go straight through. That's one of the beauties of this format. Everyone has their own route sheet and it allows you to go at your own pace and you don't have to worry about keeping up and you don't have to worry about stopping when you want.

Although some will veer off of their routes and head for home, the ones that will come back to the meet point will probably start rolling in around 2:00.
As I said, I may buzz the area. I will swing by the rally point around that time then. If you can trust the long range forcast, the weather will be perfect!

if i can get myself up, I'll try to meet up with you guys.
You probably shouldn't bother. You are literally minutes away from Winchester. Although, perhaps the noise from all the ST bikes pulling into the Denny's may rouse you in time to meet up.

if i can get myself up, I'll try to meet up with you guys.
You probably shouldn't bother. You are literally minutes away from Winchester. Although, perhaps the noise from all the ST bikes pulling into the Denny's may rouse you in time to meet up.
That might work!! Rev it up a few times before turning off the interstate. :p

Well that was another great Russell production, even with the rain. At least it was great for those of us who finished the ride....

Well that was another great Russell production, even with the rain. At least it was great for those of us who finished the ride....
Which route did you take? Did you have rain the whole way? Chris, Dave, and I took the PA Ride. Started raining about 15 minutes in and didn't see a dry road after that. Got 300 miles in today.

Hi guys,, sorry I missed the ride, or should I say, I wussed out... I got down there a few days earlier too get some other bucket list riding in. Skyline drive was one (no traffic :yahoo: and from there over to Rt.33 , 220 and back on Rt.55.. I am sooo jealous of anyone that lives down that way, those roads are awesome!! and a definite must to do again. While I was down there I also did one of the rides that where part of the Sport touring Camaraderie Ride, Ridges and Hollows, not sure who mapped that out but you did an awesome job, those were great roads. Near the end there was a road that was completely flooded, my dual sport, yes,, my FJR, NO.. but we got around a different way and back on track again. I got up Sunday and took a long hard look at the big green blob of rain headed our way and said, nah.. I had three good days of riding in already and as much as I would have liked to have met everybody I decided to pass. Riding 4 hours home after riding in the rain all day would make for a seriously long day...