Starcom1 Advance, Garmin nuvi 765T, Droid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chivvalry

Reaction score
Starcom1 Advance installed, audio cord run from Starcom1 to Garmin, Droid bluetooth paired to Garmin...

Will I be able to answer a call? My biggest concern is whether or not the mic in the Starcom1 will work so they can hear me...

Anyone doing this? Will the 765T work for me here? I havent purchased the 765 yet...

Starcom1 Advance installed, audio cord run from Starcom1 to Garmin, Droid bluetooth paired to Garmin...
Will I be able to answer a call? My biggest concern is whether or not the mic in the Starcom1 will work so they can hear me...

Anyone doing this? Will the 765T work for me here? I havent purchased the 765 yet...
I don't think the Nuvi will do this for you. You need a Mic input like the zumo has. The nuvi was made to talk to via an area mic, not a remote mic.

I have a Nuvi 780 so my experience is limited to that.

The Nuvi 780 cradle has a mic input. The stereo audio is run from the audio line-out to your headphones/earphones. The mic line needs to be run separately to the mic input on the cradle. Not sure if that would be Starcom compatible.

I don't have Starcom and I have paired my Nuvi 780 to my Bluetooth enabled phone and have made and received phone calls. Although, it helps being either stopped or behind a barn door windscreen otherwise the person on the other end hears a lot of wind noise. I don't usually (almost never) make or take calls when I am moving, but when stopped and on the bike - I find it handy to check messages or make a quick phone call without having to fiddle for my phone. I don't even have to use the external mic when I am stopped and I hardly ever use the external mic anymore - the built-in mic on the Nuvi 780 picks up my voice just fine and the feedback is that the clarity is good.

Well, the Garmin 765t shows an external mic as an accessory so I am hoping that it has an input for it. If it does then this should work though I will have to run two cables then... one for the stereo out and one for mic in. Time to move the starcom from under the seat and into the tank bag I guess.

I was hoping someone with a 765t could chime in and give me a thumbs up... If not then I will be reporting back on if this works in about a month as I am pretty sure the new Garmin 765t is coming for father's day.

I was hoping someone with a 765t could chime in and give me a thumbs up... If not then I will be reporting back on if this works in about a month as I am pretty sure the new Garmin 765t is coming for father's day.
The 765 definitely has an external mic jack located in the cradle. I've connected it to my Autocom via an isolator using 2 leads, 1 audio,1 mic. I have an iPhone paired to the nuvi and can send/receive calls thru the 765 and be heard just fine.

Hope this helps.

The 765 definitely has an external mic jack located in the cradle. I've connected it to my Autocom via an isolator using 2 leads, 1 audio,1 mic. I have an iPhone paired to the nuvi and can send/receive calls thru the 765 and be heard just fine.
Hope this helps.

Very much so... thank you.

Can you clarify please... you said "located in the cradle"... I assume that is the Garmin cradle it comes with, yes? I had intended to use a RAM mount similar to my current setup which is RAM ball on stem nut, RAM arm to RAM cradle designed for my current Garmin. Do you know if the cradle that comes with it is RAM compatible?

Also, what do you mean by an isolator?

Hope this helps.

Can you clarify please... you said "located in the cradle"... I assume that is the Garmin cradle it comes with, yes? I had intended to use a RAM mount similar to my current setup which is RAM ball on stem nut, RAM arm to RAM cradle designed for my current Garmin. Do you know if the cradle that comes with it is RAM compatible?

I think the cradle for the Nuvi 7XX series are all the same. The cradle is what attaches to your Nuvi 7XX series GPS and powers it. This cradle is also what has the input for the external mic. The RAM cradles are fully compatible with the Garmin 7XX cradles.

He is probably talking about a ground loop isolator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, in the garmin cradle. Power cable is on one side, mic jack is on the other.

I am also using a ram cradle with it designed for this series gps to mount up to a ram arm/ball system:

Clicky

The garmin cradle fits inside the ram cradle and gives you room to plug in the power and other cables.

An isolator is an Autocom adaptor that plugs in-line between the gps and Autocom unit to remove ground loop noise interference.

Perfect. Thanks so much. One less thing to worry about!

I hadnt seen the backside of the RAM mount so that link was exactly what I needed as that picture made it perfectly clear.

Why buy the Garmin at all? Just use the GPS on the Droid. I mounted my Droid to the bike and use it for GPS. It works great! I don't have the audio connected to my Cardio bluetooth but, in general, I have not needed the audio from the GPS. I am, however, able to answer phone calls just by saying, "Hello" into the microphone. Here are pictures of my setup.

Mike

What do you do when you go riding in areas with no 3G or cell coverage? If you just commute in the city that maybe fine, but even 3G service is unreliable and has dead spots in most cities, not to mention the all you can eat cell phone data plans are on their way out. AT&T made the first move, I believe the others will follow. The Droid does not have a map database downloaded into the device itself, it is pulling map info from Google/Mapquest over the internet (think lots of data usage), also not ideal for on time turn by turn info unless you aren't traveling at any significant speed (walking around for example).

I will stick with Garmin - thank you very much!

What do you do when you go riding in areas with no 3G or cell coverage?
I have Verizon so it hasn't been an issue.

...not to mention the all you can eat cell phone data plans are on their way out. AT&T made the first move, I believe the others will follow.
Nope. AT&T is having to do it because iPhone users in San Fransisco and New York City are eating up AT&T's limited bandwidth. Verizon does not have such issues. The unlimited data plans will be around until data is free. ;)

pulling map info from Google/Mapquest over the internet (think lots of data usage), also not ideal for on time turn by turn info unless you aren't traveling at any significant speed (walking around for example).
That is the benefit of this system...the maps are always real-time and always up-to-date. Garmin will charge you about $100 each year to get the latest map update. I have a Garmin Nuvi and love it but I no longer use it because of the better, more up-to-date maps on the Droid. Also, the mapping is spot on! There is no lag due to speed...at least up to 90 MPH :D

Honestly, I'm not trying to pick fly shit out of pepper here, the 3G/4G real-time data bursts are as accurate and fast as anything Garmin has. Matter of fact, Garmin and other GPS suppliers are trying to figure out how they can compete with phones with GPS. Try one, you'll like it. Honest. B)

What do you do when you go riding in areas with no 3G or cell coverage? If you just commute in the city that maybe fine, but even 3G service is unreliable and has dead spots in most cities, not to mention the all you can eat cell phone data plans are on their way out. AT&T made the first move, I believe the others will follow. The Droid does not have a map database downloaded into the device itself, it is pulling map info from Google/Mapquest over the internet (think lots of data usage), also not ideal for on time turn by turn info unless you aren't traveling at any significant speed (walking around for example).
I will stick with Garmin - thank you very much!

On my iPhone I purchased the Navigon GPS app, it weighs in at a bit over 1Gb but it has a self contained database of maps for whatever region you decide to purchase, I bought before they reduced the price and allowed you to buy by region so I have all of the US. As long as I have GPS signal on the iPhone I have maps and routing no 3G/Cellular needed. Navigon is working on an Android solution so this will be possible soon as well. Also Navigon is very good with updates to the maps for free which Garmin loves to charge you out the nose for.

I will say that the app does a very good job of routing and has several 'profiles' including a motorcycle specific one as well as a 'scenic' routing profile to keep you off the slab if you want. It was able to route me successfully out of Bussey, Iowa (read "I have to go pee" from the wife) and on to Wayland, Iowa which aren't exactly sought after destinations.

QUOTE (chivvalry @ Jun 2 2010, 12:58 PM) I was hoping someone with a 765t could chime in and give me a thumbs up... If not then I will be reporting back on if this works in about a month as I am pretty sure the new Garmin 765t is coming for father's day.

Hope this helps.
If I want to use my phone with the 765T and my Starcom Advance and want stereo music then I will need the MIC-02 and MUS-04 isolated leads, is this correct?

Dave

I switched over to a sena smh10... Much happier with that config than I was with the starcom...
I use GMRS radios and sometimes CB for bike-to-bike and that is the main reason for having bought the Starcom. Haven't been concerned with making phone calls until now. Just navigation, music and bike-to-bike.

Dave

QUOTE (chivvalry @ Jun 2 2010, 12:58 PM) I was hoping someone with a 765t could chime in and give me a thumbs up... If not then I will be reporting back on if this works in about a month as I am pretty sure the new Garmin 765t is coming for father's day.

Hope this helps.
If I want to use my phone with the 765T and my Starcom Advance and want stereo music then I will need the MIC-02 and MUS-04 isolated leads, is this correct?

Dave
Yes, that is correct. The 765T is very nearly functionally the same as a Zumo 660, except no waterproof and has no BT output.

Not sure what chivvalry didn't like about the wired Starcom1 (other than the wires), but we have been using ours for several years with very good performance.

Dave
Since I'm running my 765T through an Autocom, I couldn't tell you exactly which cables would be correct. I would say to try Jeff at Bike Effects (he posted above). He helped me get a starcom setup correctly for my dad's wing. We got his iPhone, 765T and GMRS radio all working with the wing's factory system. He was excellent to dealt with and I'm sure could verify you're getting the right cables and sell them to you as well.