Steering Stem Nut

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes finding a six sided socket it a bit tricky. 12 sided are mroe common and one has to be delictate not marring up the surface.

Whoa a minute. I believe the '03 is 32 mm. Later years are 36.

EDIT: That is confirmed at bikes-n-spikes.org. It's not in the bin o' facts on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're having trouble finding a 6 point socket, try looking for an impact socket. I believe they are always 6 point.

I use a 36mm impact skt, as suggested above, and a shop rag over the nut prevents marring. Works perfectly every time.

I just finished repacking the bearings on mine about 10 minutes ago and if you have one a 1 1/4 12 point socket works just fine. Make sure you have it on good and it doesn't mar the finish. :)

If you live out in the sticks like I do you can also find both size impact sockets at advance auto, and probably others. They are used for hubs on many a vehicle. Not snap-on, but the one I have has about 1/4 thick walls, not something you are going to break on a steering stem nut!