Stiff And Painful Knee Joints

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krue

Forget bun burning -- I've got no problem with my tail end, and my stock seat seems quite comfortable. But what do you LD riders do about knee joint pain?

Am I the only person that gets the pain here during longer rides?

Is there an easy cure?

I try the various riding exercises -- standing up periodically, stretching the legs at stoplights/signs, moving the foot periodically so that it rests on the peg anywhere from the ball to the heel, periodically moving from the front to the rear of the saddle, but none of it really seems to do the trick.

The pain usually starts in after about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of riding, and becomes pretty unbearable after about 5 hours.

I'm 6'1", and about 210 lbs. I think I fit the bike pretty comfortably.

Are highway pegs the answer? If so, how do you avoid bumping your knees on the lower fairing where it juts out to the rear?

Cheers, Kent

Yes, Krue, highway pegs are the answer. And I think someone said they bought Old Wild Bill's peg brackets and got Kuryackn offset higway pegs so they could move the pegs even more than the engine mount brackets allow.

From the EZ Board site:

<<I still have Old Wild Bill chained up in his shop cutting out the mounting plates for me to sell to all you great FJR riders.The price is the same as our last posting and we again have a good supply of pegs.

Aluminum mounting plates, glass bead blast finish with stainless steel screws, $52.00. Pair of chrome plated flat pegs with raised ribbed surface for your feet plus mild steel bolt and star washer, $26.00, shipping and handling, $6.50.

If you are interested in purchasing all or just the mounting plates or have any questions please e-mail to [email protected], be sure and include name of city and state you live in.

Terry and Old Wild Bill>>

I found the chrome pegs that Terry offers to be extremely nice, but too small. And no reduction of vibes or rubber traction. IMHO, just get the brackets. Your knees will than you.

Hey Kent,

I'm sorry I have no answer to your question.

But I sure like your signature :clap: :clap: :clap:

Stef

I get the same pain after several hours in the saddle..Stop and stretch once and awhile. When someone finds the "cure" for this let me know, it'll be the cure for old age :) :ph34r:

--G

Run along side the bike every 100 miles or so. Keeps you in shape and lubricates those knees! :clap:

Thanks Thug I like the anti-inflamatory idea. A couple of Advil should do the job.

But for God's sake don't anyone tell Tom Cruise!!

gypsy

You could stop having birthdays, but the only way to do that leaves something to be desired...............................

Another idea...

Start taking a joint supplement (No, not Doritos, Radman!) if you don't already, like a Glucosamine/Chondriton blend; from any of the drug stores....(had a positive effect for me) and keep taking it.

Brad

Thanks for the feedback! The highway pegs look like a good solution... I'll have to spring for them.

The anti-inflammatory idea and joint supplements also look like good ideas to check out.

Dang, sounds like I'm getting old :eek:

Thanks again!

Cheers, Kent

Being 65 years old I use a LOT of aleve before, during and after a ride. Even on my 1800 Wing. ('Course it doesn't help that I have arthritis.) I'm convinced that if you slow down you sit down, if you sit down you may as well lay down, if you lay down...well it's just about over then and I'm not ready for that. :p

Glucosamine does work. Come to think of it, I just realized my knees don't hurt. This time last year if I were to try and kneel it felt like someone was driving an ice pick up under my knee cap.

The supplements take a couple months to really notice, but the thing you will notice the most is that you don't notice any pain or swelling.

I get all kinds of aches and pains if I don't move around. I shift between the rider pegs, highway pegs, and passenger pegs (when I'm not riding 2 up). Sliding around on the seat helps too.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it is not the FJR it is my left knee in general. Simply keeping it in one position for very long and it starts to really hurt. I have also noticed that if I keep my knee close to the tank and my foot in alignment and not too pointed outward it helps.

Other choices knee replacement.

Reincarnation and hope you get a better body.

The second is what I am hoping for :lol:

I find that stretching early and often (while riding) works best. Isometrics done for each joint (leg and arms and back and neck) every 20 or 30 minutes. Then start the cycle over again.

Finding different seating positions and sticking to each new one at least 20 minutes before going back to your preferred on also helps.

Even if you were in your favorite easy chair, you'd not be able to sit in one spot for hours on end without getting sore.

I agree with the long-term benefits of glucosamine. I've been using glucosamine/sulfate for several years now with good results. I went to the glucosamine/chondriton a few months ago and it doesn't seem to be as effective for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
eye-bu-pro-fen.

This has become my recreational, performance enhancing feel good drug of choice.

It helps my skiing , golf game...uh never mind that, nothing does...and knee pain.

I have had operations on both my knee's and for bad days

eye-bu-pro-fen

800mg and I'm good

Larry

Ah yes, Pain!

For me, these have helped.

Glucosamine. I take it all of the time.

Ibuprofen. I use it from time to time, but always carry it on my bike.

I am just learning how important it is to drink lots of water when I ride, and I now have a bike that has room to carry some.

I recently discovered that I was "gripping" the tank with my knees and not relaxing. I have been concentrating on this and it has really helped.

Try and say to yourself, "I am not really getting this frikin old, am I?"

, like a Glucosamine/Chondriton blend; from any of the drug stores....(had a positive effect for me) and keep taking it.
It works for me also, but you need to take it consitantly, and it takes a while to show the effects (a month or two).

Latest posts