Still cheap with the grease.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldaxe

Reaction score
Well I have the wheels off for a new set of Avons for my 06 and Yamaha is still being cheap with the grease. Practically nothing on the splines. Some at the hub but still not alot. I guess they figure that the average person will never look at splines but will see the hub when a wheel is off. I had to use a small leaver to prop up the universal joint to get the spline back in. Can't actuallly touch it with your fingers. Is this different on the 06? Didn't see any mention in the FJR Tech stuff

Honda 60 seems to be rare in these parts so I elected for Mobil 1 synthetic. I figure it should be good as I'll be in there again in 6000 miles or so. So when you get to needing tires don't forget the splines cause Yamaha did.

Ordered my Honda Moly 60 here, hard to find in San Diego as well.

Tried every Honda motorcycle & car Dealer in town + Acura shops with no luck.

-my 05 had a 'satisfactory' amount of grease on the splines, that's about it..was actually expecting it to have less on it than it did; was hard to find the Moly60 in Houston as well; finally found it at an Acura dealer after trying numerous Honda car & bike dealerships...another Houston-area member here found some at a Honda bike dealer across town that I hadn't hit yet. You would think it would be widely available, being as they carry all the other Honda-brand oil/coolant/white lithium grease/brake fluid/etc etc.

Nusman,

I think the other guy might've been me... there's a Honda bike shop down on the Gulf Freeway that almost always has it... on the west side feeder road between Dickinson and La Marque

Last edited by a moderator:
It does seem odd that Honda sells the preferred drive shaft spline grease but very few dealers carry it. I had to go out of state to get mine, and the dealer in NJ charged me a premium for it.

If you can't find the Honda Moly 60, GM has a spline lube developed for older GM pickups to solve a sticking problem. See your Chev dealer.

has there ever been a recorded failure of the driveshaft or pumpkin due to insufficient lube?

Or are there just a lot of guys who complain about what they think is not enough lube cause maybe it doesn't need as much as we think?

has there ever been a recorded failure of the driveshaft or pumpkin due to insufficient lube?
Or are there just a lot of guys who complain about what they think is not enough lube cause maybe it doesn't need as much as we think?
Not on the Feejer (AFAIK) but there have been enough, over the years, with Gold Wings to verify that good PM routines can mean the difference between a 75,000 mile bike and a 300,000 mile bike. It's cheap insurance and not difficult to do.

After reading the post about rear hub disassembly I wondered the same thing: whether the sparse greasing is for a reason... movement due to the change in length as the suspension works is supposed to be at the rear hub. Additional grease on the splines may cause movement in a location that is designed for none.

Too much grease on the splines? Believe I had this issue on my '03 AFTER the dealer repaired the oil leak at the middle gear housing.

I had requested to make sure they lube the splines and shortly after, noticed what I thought was the middle gear housing leak rearing it's head again, but after a bit of detective work, came up with the problem of excess grease on the splines.

I think there are so few problems because FJR owners are so vigilant about the spline lube.

I think that many find there is not much at all and found rust because of the lack of it.

I doubt it is because not much is needed, but at the manufacturer it is a quick process and it doesn't get enough. Assembly line ?!