Stitch Roadcrafter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
In looking for new winter clothing I am seriously considering a Roadcrafter 1 PC suite from Aerostitch.

Some of the reviews on their own site complain of rain seepage on the zippers.

I really want to do this once and would like any input from people who have and do wear this product.

They have in my mind been the top of the line riding gear but would love to hear real world experiences if anyone would like to share.

Until you spend on a jacket and pants you are in the Roadcrafter price or close.

I looked at the new Richa line and it is pricey.

Richa Jacket

I am also going to replace my Gerbing heated clothing to wear under it for dead of Winter.

So can you share the good, bad, and ugly from personal experiences?

I've been in a RC1PC for about a decade now. It is not perfect, but it is very versatile and as perfect as I have found.

On unfaired sportbikes I've had it leak in a couple places, in very heavy downpours:

- Crotch

- Neck (can't help that, my head has to go somewhere)

- Hip zipper (it was raining sideways).

On the FJR I've not experienced any of these issues. When in a hard downpour I also make sure the crotch is folded in a way that it isn't 'cupping' water. I believe they have since updated to more waterproof zippers and added neat features like collar snaps and stuff. I've got about 180,000 miles on my 'stich and neither the seams nor the goretex has failed, even after replacing panels.

Otherwise I've been very happy with it. A zipper pull or two has broken (fixed for free in Duluth) and I've crashed in it and had sections repaired. Same has happened to a friend of mine - in both cases we were well protected.

It has, so far, been the only suit I've fit in correctly. I've added rotated shoulders and a forward lean waist crescent. I highly recommend going to Duluth to be fitted; I tried over the phone and four weeks later I got the suit, I was swimming in it. Went to visit them, found I fit in a much smaller suit. Full refund on the big one, 10% walk-in discount off the new one.

It is hot in the summer, above 90 or so I need to keep moving, and that's when I switch to wicking compression gear to encourage airflow. But once stopped it comes off super easy, so while my friend without a 'stich is sweating in MC pants the rest of us are prancing around in shorts (LD or otherwise). I can also make the case that in very hot weather, like at 112F in Nevada last year, it worked very well in a) keeping the sun off me (the pirates don't understand this), B) insulating me from the heat more than mesh would, and c) allowing enough airflow to allow my body's natural cooling functions to work (i.e. sweat at a rate that prevented hyperthermia (and I was drinking lots of liquids). I have a cooling vest but rarely pack it.

When it is cooler I will only wear a long sleeved T shirt and a Warm'n'Safe heated liner underneath it. If really cold I will add long johns under jeans, otherwise the FJR's leg heaters keep me warm.

One of the really nice things about it is the lack of having to stop to adjust to various temperatures and precipitations. Just open or close vents. The only non-adjustable-while-riding-vent is in the back. Compare this with suits/jackets which have liners: you need to stop and remove the gear to add/remove liners, and the liners don't have vents so they don't accommodate changes in temperature.

It is nice to not have to pack two jackets or a rainsuit etc. The 'stich handles nearly every weather condition well enough to keep riding.

You have some color choices, unless you get a deal on something off the rack. They all fade over time, except maybe grey (is that pre-faded Black?)

One thing I would like to see is to have the taffeta lining removable for when it gets hot.

While I would like to try some new gear once in a while, if I totaled my 'stich I would get another. It is a proven item.

Thank you for that thorough review!

A trip to them is out for me so I will need to hope I can pick a size that fits.

I am 5' 11" and 210#. I wear a jean that is 38w 30 inseam. I like to wear my cloths loose and I wear a XXL shirt.

I am looking at a size 44 Regular. I am toying with the Short in 44. My problem is I have broad shoulders and that steals arm length so normally I give up a more tailored body fit to have correct arm length.

Do you wear one of their back protectors? Have you tried the TF4 low heat armor? Hip pads?

Thank you again for any and all help and input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aerostich has updated the main zippers, they are now waterproof, and if you have an older RC they can update the zippers for around $100.00 :yahoo:

I've had my RC one piece for just about 8 years. I use Aerostich's back protector in it, but I don't use the hip pads. The suit was very stiff and uncomfortable for the first few weeks I owned it, but it grew into a second skin and is very comfortable now. I treat mine with wash-in Nikwax once a year and have never had a leakage issue. I think the best testimonial I can give about that is that I once made a run from TWO in Suches, GA to Tampa, on an FZ6, and had thunderstorms pretty much the entire way...I stayed dry as far as the rain was concerned (sweated instead). I did pay attention to how the suit folded. ;) Aerostich is now using waterproof zippers/tape in their suits, so I suspect the fabled "wet crotch" issue may fade into history. It's nice to not need to stop under a bridge to suit up for crap weather.

Since owning the Stich, I've not had a need to buy any other outer gear....probably saving me hundreds, if not thousands, of $$ spent on buying/replacing other gear over the last decade.

In terms of wear, my suit, while stained here and there, is still in excellent shape after 8 years of constant use. That being said, normal wear and tear still happens. The main zipper pull broke last year (the hook that holds the zipper pull just wore thru, easily fixed with a new pull from their suit repair kit) and the main zipper velcro, along with some other heavily used velcro, gave up the ghost. I finally broke down and sent my suit into Aerostich last week for an inspection, repairs, and alteration. They are replacing all of the worn velcro, retrofitting the waterproof main and leg zippers, and adding a little extra room in the mid-section (the beer keg's expanded a bit over 8 years, lol). While they're doing that, I'm putting up with a crappy 9 year old FS mesh suit I owned before getting the RC...can't wait to get my RC back. I should have the suit back in two weeks and fully expect to get at least another 8 years out of it.

On longer distance rides, year round, I wear the LDComfort tights and long-sleeved shirt under the RC, but I also use bicycle shorts and Under Armour shirts. In either case, fashion statements are made when I strip off the suit at a stop, lol. Evaporative cooling works pretty good with the sleeves opened up (I recommend removing V-Strom guards during the summer if you have them installed on your bike). It gets very hot and humid here in the SE and the RC never lets you forget that, but when you're running down the road, it's quite comfortable. In the winter time, I use a Warm-n-Safe jacket liner and sometimes throw on some sweat pants over the LDComfort tights, but have never needed anything more to keep warm (we do not get sustained, severe cold in this area). My daily commute totals about 40-50 miles, depending on the route I take, and the RC easily accommodates my work clothes underneath.

I've often considered picking up a two piece Darien/AD-1 combo in the belief that the 2 piece arrangement would add some convenience, but the reality is that the one piece has never been a problem and I'm very happy with it.

Check the Aerostich site for sizing and color options, What they will do is send you an off the rack size, ie 46 Long, Regular or Short, and you will try it for size and determine if you need any alterations in the arms, legs, torso, get on your bike and see how it fits. if you plan on wearing a heated liner try it with it on, you don't want to get it too tight/snug it will be harder to get on and off.

I have a one and two piece RC, though I haven't done many miles in the 2 piece yet. I picked up the 2 piece for basically the reasons Burnspot mentioned, convenience in certain types of riding. For the one piece waterproof-ness, I have been very happy with mine. I have experienced the wet crotch once, but it was during hours of torrential downpour. I think maybe I didn't have the velcro flap done up real well in that area as I have ridden in hours and hours of rain other times and had no issues. This was in my one piece with the old style zippers. I wear the standard back pad with it.

I'm 5'8", weigh a little more than you and wear a 46 short. As for arm length, they can tailor it for you and add length if needed.

Have had my two-piece RC just over fifteen years now and what the previous riders have stated echos my experiences/opinion perfectly, especially the part about the heated gear underneath. Bought the Warm & Safe liner about five years ago and think it's one of the best things I've done. Aside from the warmth and extended riding season factors, having just one liner almost makes it part of the suit if you will and removes the bulk and decision making of what layers to add on. If you know you'll be using heated gear regularly, this might factor in to how you want to size the suit.

As far as sizing, I think you and I are fairly close in build and my 46S feels pretty good. (Well, at least on the bike. Not going to win any stylin' points walking around.) If you have a chance to figure out some ride time this weekend, I'll be heading up to the 'Dacks ride and you'd be more than welcome to look it over.

I have both the Darien jacket/AD1 pants combo and an older Roadcrafter.

I bought the Darien setup first because I like the idea of being able to shed the jacket at stops and leave the pants on. I still use this gear on trips with the wife or around town where I make stops that require taking some gear on and off. I have ridden in absolute frog stranglers and not a drop of water has gotten in. The Darien definitely has the water proof advantage compared to the RC.

The roadcrafter was bought as a ebay special for less than half new cost. It's in very good shape and has new standard pads thanks to the seller who had left them in when he washed the suit. Washing the pads ruins them because they actually crumbled when flexed. He credited me the cost of new pads that I had to buy. The reason I really like the RC is I feel it's safer than the Darien because of tougher materials and no chance of jacket ride-up in a slide. I also like the quick on/off. For these reasons it's my daily commute gear on my 50mile round trip. The main downside to the RC is the potential for wet crotch. Sometimes, even though I fold material to avoid cupping water, I still end up with some water soaking my upper left leg in the zipper area just below where the overflap ends. The new waterproof zippers sound very promising!

For both suits, I added hip and back pads. I just can't imagine it being pleasant to hit those hard points on the pavement without padding to cushion the blow.

The Darien, being unlined, has an advantage in hot weather but I've ridden in those extremely rare 90 degree days in the RC also without too much discomfort. Both suits work great, when combined with a heated liner, in temps below freezing. For extended riding in those temps, I add fleece pants to the LD pants and fleece under the heated liner. But for daily commuting in cold temps (up to 45 minutes), I've regularly ridden in either suit on the FJR with only jeans, long sleeve polo shirt and the heated liner.

Bottom line? If I only commuted on the FJR, I'd get the Roadcrafter. For touring with the wife, I'd get the Darien. If I had to only choose one, I'd go with the Darien for its versatility and absolute waterproofness.

LAF,

I don't have much to add to what others have said, but here's a couple of remarks.

I purchased a RC one piece in January of this year. As others have said, It's as stiff as a board at first, but becomes more pliable after just a few rides.

I opted to purchase and "install" the TF3 Standard Back Pad and the TF3 Hip Pads. These will reduce the space inside the suit a little bit (and make your butt look big), so you might want to take this into consideration if you install these items and intend to layer heavily for winter riding.

I opted for the "low profile" look with gray suit and silver ballistics. It has the new "waterproof" zipper, but I haven't ridden in any rain storms that were intense enough to test it yet.

Again, as others have noted if it gets over about 75º and you're not moving you might get uncomfortably warm. When moving it's not an issue if you open the cuffs, the underarm zippers, etc..

Although I've only put about 4k miles on mine, I already love it!! Easy to get into and out of, and I do feel protected, especially with the back and hip pads installed.

I tried the sizing tool on the Aerostitch website, but then ended up calling them with all my measurements. After a few minutes they recommended a 46 Long for me. I am 6'2" tall, but have relatively short legs (33" inseam), a long torso and REALLY long arms (37"). I suspected the suit's legs would be a bit too long and the upper torso/arms would fit perfect and that is precisely the case. When I stand the legs are obviously too long, but when I sit on the bike they are good. I suppose I could have the legs shortened by an inch or two, but the fit is close enough for me.

For some more information, from this forum, on this subject try a search using this in google: Roadcrafter site:fjrforum.com .

Good Luck with your decision!!

I've got the hip pads, competition back pad, and the 44R they initially send me was replaced with a 38R (I am 5.11 w/30 inch inseam, 205 lbs and no belly).

I have had a one pc Aerostich for about 100k miles now, and for the most part I love it. Above 90 degrees it is hot when you aren't moving, but what gear that will protect you isn't?

One thing to note is that the new zippers ARE NOT WATER PROOF! they are certainly better than the traditional zippers, but they are directional. that is to say that they are designed to be water resistant when water runs down them, but not if the wind pushes the water back up, or if the water pools. This is what i was told after getting wet the very first time I used my stich after having the new zippers put in.

Also, regular maintenance is very important. I wash in waterproof mine at least once a season, and I have seam sealed mine as well. DON'T USE THE SEAM SEALER FROM STICH. Go to REI or another place and get a seam sealer. The stuff from stich works, but it looks like ass on the suit.

I have both the hip and back pads, and wont ride without them.

Any ideas or thoughts on their sizing and fit?
If you go to there website there is a spot for sizing and you give them your sizes and they will email you the size they recommend. A 42S fits me perfect in the summer with just shorts and a tee shirt but in the cooler weather when using heated gear it was very tight in the upper body. So a 44S was recommended from Aerostich which fits good with heated gear on but a little big when using it in the summer months. I love my RC 1PC and will probably never use any other riding gear again.

Fortuneately I live within a 2-hour ride to Aerostich (both a blessing and a curse...). I've been riding with a Darien suit for 5-6 years but after a couple years of losing some weight I'm slowing shrinking away from it! In the next year or two I'll likely upgrade to new gear.

But when I was up there earlier this spring, just for fun I tried the Roadcrafter. The very helpful gal that assisted me, along with my input, determined that the 1-piece wouldn't be the best fit for my body without lots of tailoring, so she fit me for a 2-piece instead. With the 2-piece we were able to get really close on the fit- I may need a bit of shoulder/upper body tailoring, but better overall.

But I do perfer the Darien pants and their looser fit and outer leg zippers. (The Darien jacket is also looser/more relaxed fit that the tailored fit of the RC.) Not as fast to put on as the RC, but water tight every time. The zippers on the Darien outer leg also have storm flaps over them so it could be raining to drown ducks but my lower body will stay dry. And going with 2 pieces, you could also get the RC jacket and Darien pants if you choose to. Lots of ways to configure this stuff- mix and match, it's all good.

My gray pants have no noticable fading (lots of small permanent stains, though, but those are honor badges in my mind) but the gray color spec of the fabric did change over time, so the old standard neutral gray is now a slightly different standard neutral gray. And my yellow jacket... when new it looked like yellow mustard, now it looks a bit more dijon-like in spots. Red fades badly over time. Black/gray/blue not anywhere near as hard of a fade as the red. But that faded red is a badge of honor, I think, for many owners. "I've done my time, I've logged the miles..."

I had a Roadcrafter 1 piece for 13 years and it was called upon to sacrifice itself for me. It did it's job well and I walked away with a few bruises.

Aerostich insisted I send it in for an estimate for repair but ended up considering it a write off. Here's the interesting part, they gave me 15% off a new one. What other company does that?

I loved my suit and bought a new one just like the old one only not faded. My friends say I must have charged the old one up over night as now it's so bright.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned the only down side to a one piece. The uninformed public and pirate riders call it a snowmobile suit or insist that I must be hot. I respond that "I'd rather be hot than hamburger".

It's the only suit I own and doubt I'll ever wear anything else. Easy on and off, works OK in hot weather is good long term value and gives high sense of security.

I had a Roadcrafter 1 piece for 13 years and it was called upon to sacrifice itself for me. It did it's job well and I walked away with a few bruises.

Aerostich insisted I send it in for an estimate for repair but ended up considering it a write off. Here's the interesting part, they gave me 15% off a new one. What other company does that?

I loved my suit and bought a new one just like the old one only not faded. My friends say I must have charged the old one up over night as now it's so bright.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned the only down side to a one piece. The uninformed public and pirate riders call it a snowmobile suit or insist that I must be hot. I respond that "I'd rather be hot than hamburger".

It's the only suit I own and doubt I'll ever wear anything else. Easy on and off, works OK in hot weather is good long term value and gives high sense of security.
It is funny you say that about the stitch how people refer to it as a snowmobile suit(my own wife calls it that). I work at a motorcycle dealer and my coworkers have called it the samething plus a moonman suit or pilot suit. I can't beleive so called motorcycle's in this business don't even now about the best riding gear ever made. I guess you have to wear a leather vest or a tank top with shorts to be a real motorcyclist. LOL Oh yeah and I almost forgot. I tell people the same thing about "you must be hot in that thing". I'd rather sweat and keep all my skin on my body I have really grown attached to it.

I have had the RC 2piece for about 15 years, The 2 pc gives you better chance to meet your fitting needs w/o custom sizing. I got my jacket one size larger than my regular size to accmomodate back pad,electric vest and layering. This could work better for you if you like looser fit up top.YMMV.