Stock seat sucks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teecb

Reaction score
ok I just got my 08 FJR and I 'm in love with everything about this bike except for the crap stock seat! I've had the bike for 3 weeks. I've put just over 1100 miles and my butt just can't take anything over 160 miles in a day. I did some research on custom seats, found a shop in Revere, MA... All-NU Upholstery ( www.all-nu.com ) anyone ever see this guy's work?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I just got my 08 FJR and I 'm in love with everything about this bike except for the crap stock seat! I've had the bike for 3 weeks. I've put just over 1100 miles and my butt just can't take anything over 160 miles in a day. I did some research on custom seats, found a shop in Revere, MA... All-NU Upholstery ( www.all-nu.com ) anyone ever see this guy's work?
teecb, I have never even new the guy was around, before I tried him I might try Kalin Motorcycle Seats in Oakville, CT. (860) 274-3922. He is a lot closer and you could also maybe drive in and see him. Google him he has a web site. Also I went to Russell at www.day-long.com. That requires send the pans to the west coast. It was worth it.

I don't get it, so many complain about the stock seat. I have no issues.............did a 580 mile run today and could go again now.

I don't get it, so many complain about the stock seat. I have no issues.............did a 580 mile run today and could go again now.
Yea, I don't mind the stock seat either. Maybe we don't have an educated ass. If I wanted a Gold Wing I would have bought one. Not that there is anything wrong with the Honda. :rolleyes:

I have had my 08 for almost 3 months now & have over 6K miles on it. I have ordered a Russell seat (build date 8/25). Seats are very subjective but I can assure you of one thing - if you are not comfortable on it you will hate the bike. I expect to be doing 8-900 mile days with the Russell, 650 was a grind for me with the stocker.

Stock seat sucks...I 'm in love with everything about this bike except for the crap stock seat!

...yea, IT does (suck). At least it did for me. I gotta boney ass...so I felt bad pressure points about 100 mi into a ride.

I went with a Russell when we had a group buy earlier this year. Pure heaven for the bum now. With the Russell I did a 1171 mi

SS1K without ANY discomfort at all. It's a little pricey but both I and the wife love them over the stockers.

Unfortunately it takes away some of the sporty look of the bike and moves it closer to "wing-dom".

Russell_Daylong.jpg

Russell_Daylong2.jpg

I've said the stock seat sucks on probably every bike I've owned. After buying, Sargent, Corbin, Tobin,and modifying stock seats etc. I have never got it to where anything was much better to my butt than the stock one on the bikes. I quit buying them, and started doing things to help, like stopping, and walking around more, adjusting the ergo's on the bike, Advil, etc. One thing that someone mentioned on another thread about seats makes sense......the more straight that you sit, the more pressure on your butt, and if you have a "bony" butt (i do too) the pressure points will hurt in a short while. I talk a good story, but haven't moved my bars to the forward position, or anything on mine yet. (i actually moved the to the rear).

I can tell you that spending 3-500 dollars on a seat NEVER helped me, but everybody's different.

I bought a Sargent for my last FZ1, and after a couple of thousand miles, it was no better for me than the stock one, and I sold it (at a loss), and put the stock one back on. Just my .02

Where did you pick up the passenger backrest that fits with the rack? Also who makes the rack featured in your photos. BTW: Nice photo; I have had Russell Day Long saddles on four bikes I've owned in the past. I sold my '01 Moto Guzzi EV 1100, also with a Day Long saddle, and I second your comments on that it was well worth the money. I just wish the saddle didn't require a rain cover. I've heard good things about Rich's saddle shop in Seattle so I may take a look at that, once I get another bike. I'm considering a 1300A; I need a good commuter, a good two-up tourer, reliable and relatively inexpensive to maintain. I live in NYC and I don't do my own wrenching and I'd prefer to avoid paying big bucks for the high labor rates in my area. This is my first post to the forum and you'll probably see more from me as I take a harder look at the FJR as a potential replacement for my Moto Guzzi. It has been years since I've had a 4 cylinder bike, the last was a 1988 BMW K1200RS,

Stock seat sucks...I 'm in love with everything about this bike except for the crap stock seat!

...yea, IT does (suck). At least it did for me. I gotta boney ass...so I felt bad pressure points about 100 mi into a ride.

I went with a Russell when we had a group buy earlier this year. Pure heaven for the bum now. With the Russell I did a 1171 mi

SS1K without ANY discomfort at all. It's a little pricey but both I and the wife love them over the stockers.

Unfortunately it takes away some of the sporty look of the bike and moves it closer to "wing-dom".

Russell_Daylong.jpg

Russell_Daylong2.jpg
[SIZE=12pt][/size][/SIZE]

Yea, I don't mind the stock seat either. Maybe we don't have an educated ass. If I wanted a Gold Wing I would have bought one. Not that there is anything wrong with the Honda. :rolleyes:

Everyone's different, if you have no pain that's great but if someone else does it's not funny. Great for you if your stocker works fine.

Yeah, I just got mine 3 days ago and have over 600 miles on it, and the stock seat does suck. Mine will go off to Spencer in Florida for a "makeover". I expect it will be just fine as I am confident in what he does. It is a lot cheaper than other custom seats I've had, but the one on my ST is very good. If it doesn't work, I guess it will be Corbin or Russel. I've not liked the looks of the Russel but if comfortable to me, it will look beautiful :D .

doctorj

I might try Kalin Motorcycle Seats in Oakville, CT. (860) 274-3922. He is a lot closer and you could also maybe drive in and see him. Google him he has a web site.
Their web site is https://www.kalinmotorcycleseats.com but don't bother - it's only a bunch of pics of the seats he has done. There's no pricing or any information as to whether or not they can actually do seats other than the fancy ones they have pictured. Just an email address and a phone number....They are located at Kalin Motorcycle Seats, 430 Main St. Oakville, CT 06779. I might just drive up there Monday and check them out.

Where did you pick up the passenger backrest that fits with the rack? Also who makes the rack featured in your photos.
That backrest is from Premier Cycle Accessories (google them...they have a lot of stuff). The rack is theirs two.

I'll be sending my seat on vacation to California this week! :clapping: It's getting the Russel resort/spa treatment to relieve its tension so it can be more comfy and relaxed. If my seat's happy, my ass is happy, so I hope Russel treats it well.

Thanks all... added bar adapters, which has helped. Decided to send it out to "Rich's Custom Seats" in Seattle over the winter. Check out his web site, nice looking seats and quality work.

I went with a Rick Mayer seat from Calif. Heard a lot of great things from previous customers so thought I'd see for myself. It should arrive within the next week or two. Yea, that stock seat really sucks.

just dropped 530 last night on a corbin,stock is ok but planning on coast to coast ride in feb,thats some serious saddle time if you aint comfy.

Ok, I lied. I don't like the stock seat and I sent my seats to Spencers in Florida. Paid a total of $100.00 for my seat and my Wife's pillion plus shipping. Sent the seat by UPS ground on a Tuesday, it arrived at Spencers on Thursday and I had it back on Tuesday of the next week. I'm sure it's not a Mike Mayer seat at $699.00 but it's a whole lot better than the stock. I've put about 700 miles on it now and I think I can say it's money well spent. I will next spring for the Mayer seat but for now I'm real happy. I wanted a better seat for the EOM trip and I got it. Mayer told me he couldn't get me his seat before we left for WV so I had no choise. If you don't have a lot of money or not much time try the Spencer seat. Spencer's click me

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the Spencer seat to save $

Like the improvement

Had a Rocky Mayer on an ST1100 I owned - Great quality but did not fit my butt as good as I thought it should

Spencer on the FJR is Better than the Mayer I had on the ST

I was the same 120 - 160 my butt was done

Just did 200 and didn't even think about the seat

Something worked in what ever he did

Cost $100 plus shipping 7 day turnaround to Alberta Canada