Strapped the video camera on the bike Tuesday morning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be afraid some insurance weenie would see my YouTube commute on his lunch break and then I'd be shopping for a new policy. :unsure:

Forgot to add....NICE CHOICE of background music!!!

They did a smokin version of NWO on the live from the Filmore album!! :drag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, all that lane splitting scared the crap out of me. :eek:

I don't know how you do it. :(

Makes me glad I live in BFE. ;)

Side cases with reduced width for town and city use.

(linked pic)

Nice video! Thanks!

I still dont know how you city folk live with that traffic....my 40 mile commute to work is interupted by 3 stoplights. That would drive me up the wall and make me park my FJR I am fraid. Of course, I guess you get used to it...I used to live in Chicago and the traffic sucked there....but you couldn't split lanes either (legally, that is).

Good video! It got me going this morning after my o dark early leisure ride to work work past cows, road kill,deer, barns, pick up trucks , and a school bus or two.

I *hate* you, JB. And all you lane sharing, Peoples Reepublik of Kalifornia guys. I commute in Atlanta, which is exactly like that, but with no sharing and worse traffic.

However, having been pulled over for lane sharing and used the 'I moved here from San Diego... what do you MEAN you can't share here? REALLY?' excuse successfully with DeKalb County's finest on 2-wheels, here's to ya pal. Nice vid.

I love how most of the drivers out there seem to 'get it' -- leave room and don't actively TRY to kill you. I do love riding through PRK.

This week it's been sunny and dry for the first time in more than a month.........
So with clear skies and dry pavement, I strapped the video camera onto my dash, pressed the record button, and hit the freeway for San Francisco:
JB, thanks for the reminder. Oh, how I miss driving over the Oakland-San Fancisco Bay Bridge. NOT!

Man, all that lane splitting scared the crap out of me. I don't know how you do it.
IF you were here and it was okay for you to do so, you would develop the ability, skill and mental awareness. Very much akin to having those skills for riding twisty backroads and being acutely aware of your mental and physical state on that particular day.
Seriously, I have taken out-of-state friends down our freeways when they were congested. I always explain what we are going to do and HOW we are going to do it. Not like "Ricky Racer", but thoughtfully and cautiously. I remind them to watch the front wheels of the cars and the driver's heads turning, etc., and be aware of what the traffic ahead is doing. It's a dance and we are all participants! Then we "work" our way through traffic. Of course, the best way to learn it is by following a CHP bike....its like Moses parting the Red Sea....almost like "cheating", if you can keep up (I can't, those guys and gals have skills....and a badge of authority.).

After a session of sharing lanes in the above manner, the unanimous response is, "I wish we could do that back home".

I know that the "naysayers" will soon be along to post their negative and "anti" thoughts and opinions. However, if you were to be here and were to participate, you would be amazed at how many people are driving whild distracted: reading (books and newspapers), typing, texting, talking on cell-phones, applying make-up, shaving, drinking coffee or soda and eating breakfast or a snack while commuting in stop-and-go traffic. Personally, I would rather share a lane than have THAT person behind me when traffic comes to a rapid stop, something it does with regularity.

YMMV

Seriously, I have taken out-of-state friends down our freeways when they were congested. I always explain what we are going to do and HOW we are going to do it. Not like "Fairlaner", but thoughtfully and cautiously. I remind them to watch the front wheels of the cars and the driver's heads turning, etc., and be aware of what the traffic ahead is doing. It's a dance and we are all participants! Then we "work" our way through traffic. Of course, the best way to learn it is by following a CHP bike....its like Moses parting the Red Sea....almost like "cheating", if you can keep up (I can't, those guys and gals have skills....and a badge of authority.).
After a session of sharing lanes in the above manner, the unanimous response is, "I wish we could do that back home".

I know that the "naysayers" will soon be along to post their negative and "anti" thoughts and opinions. However, if you were to be here and were to participate, you would be amazed at how many people are driving whild distracted: reading (books and newspapers), typing, texting, talking on cell-phones, applying make-up, shaving, drinking coffee or soda and eating breakfast or a snack while commuting in stop-and-go traffic. Personally, I would rather share a lane than have THAT person behind me when traffic comes to a rapid stop, something it does with regularity.

YMMV
Very well said, Mike!

Oh, BTW, fixed it for you.... :rolleyes:

JB

Wow, how are accidents handled? I know its legal but if the gap closes and you get nailed is there a rt of way law or somthing that lays blame? That just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Man, I don't know what's worse, the lane splitting or all that freeking traffic!! I'm sure that if I lived there I could learn how, but I don't think I'd ever actually want to ride through that much traffic. Maybe if all the traffic was motorcycles it wouldn't be so F'ed up?

I feel for you guys, really. I am so glad I don't have to put up with that kind of crap on an every day commute...

Man, I could learn how, but I don't think I'd ever actually want to ride through that much traffic.
I feel you guys, really.

I am so glad. ;)
Dood, Annie Sullivan is dead, how ya gonna pull it off at yer age????

Hey it's Friday.... I had to ruin something. ;)

Nice job JB. How many colors are yer panniers?

:jester:

Personally, I would rather share a lane than have THAT person behind me when traffic comes to a rapid stop, something it does with regularity.
And my eventual justification for always traveling "slightly faster than the flow of traffic", should I get ticketed and have it go before a judge. I try to always create a safety buffer behind me, whatever it takes, because MC'ers more frequently get run over than rear-ended, and the stakes are so much higher than with those in cages behind me, and they drive accordingly.

The auto makers should install a big spike in the middle of each steering wheel, pointed at the driver, instead of an airbag. Then they'd probably pay a little more attention to being careful. :eek:

Maybe if all the traffic was motorcycles it wouldn't be so F'ed up?
If everybody had to do their first couple of driving years on a bike, there'd probably be substantially less traffic. :aaskull:

I am so glad I don't have to put up with that kind of crap on an every day commute...
Not to mention the whackos who choose to do an SS1K completely in L.A. traffic. They were stupid first and the most!

Nice job JB.
Woof! Thanks for allowing me some virtual riding, while I sit home sick from work, chomping on advil and thermometers. The FD has a nice policy for me: Motorcycles are the only personal vehicles allowed to be parked inside the apparatus bays!

How many colors areyer panniers?
Last time I heard about them, at least one of them was colored gone!

Latest posts