Summer Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PROUD LEO

Reaction score
OK as most of you know it sometimes gets hotter than hell here in good ole Texas. Would you all be so kind as to recommend a breathable summer jacket that won't burn me up? I want the added protection just in case I fall.

I use a "Mesh" jacket. A lot of the newer styles breath well, have body armour as well. Check any cyclegear, etc and or flea market or store.

Personally, I like this one: Tour Master Intake, but there are dozens of Summer jackets made. What I suggest is that you go to several shops and try them on as fit is the most important thing with gear in my opinion.

Sounds like you want crash protection so you also want to verify that the jacket has CE approved armor. Also, a removable liner is nice to have and some of the liners can be worn seperate... an added bonus.

The ventilation is so good on these jackets that with the bike moving it feels as if you are not wearing a jacket at all, except that you don't get a sunburn. ;)

I did a search of "titles only" for Summer Jacket. Lots of good information in about 6 or 7 threads with that in the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK as most of you know it sometimes gets hotter than hell here in good ole Texas. Would you all be so kind as to recommend a breathable summer jacket that won't burn me up? I want the added protection just in case I fall.
If you really are a proud "LEO" then you would feel comfortable in my jacket. (mine doesn't have the black patches)

mj202z.jpg
find info My link

I find that I am more comfortable with a long sleeve "T" shirt under it for sun protection but the wind just whistles through it, and with my headlight modulators on the cagers pull to the right to let me pass.
laugh.gif
(which I didn't intend but it sure helps the commute!)

-worney

I've had a couple of mesh jackets from Tour Master, actually their "upmarket" Cortech line. I ride in Florida, and as long as I'm moving I have no issues with heat. Stop-n-go traffic, though......

Lighter colors help. One was silver, another was black, and the silver was more confortable, even though heavier.

Tour master's stuff comes with liners so I wear them year round.

I have the tour Master Air Intake and also the Olympia jacket like Worney suggested. The Olympia is a great jacket (which is what I use most of the time) but the Tour Master Intake is cooler.

I've worn a silver Joe Rocket Pheonix for the last 3 years. It's been a good coat but it's getting pretty worn. When I replace it I'll probably get a tourmaster or if I feel really flush, maybe the Olympic. I actually think the coats are cooler than going without a coat, they block the sun (mostly).

Good article on hot weather riding:

Clicky.

If it's REALLY hot outside, you don't necessarily want a jacket that breathes too well.

I have a Cortech GX-Air jacket and it has two removable liners; one insulated and another for rain/wind breaker. Also have TourMaster's Venture Air pants with two liners like the jacket. Jacket and pants are mesh, air flow is fine even buzzing through town. Like anything else, when it's really hot things heat up when you're not moving.

Good article on hot weather riding:

Clicky.

If it's REALLY hot outside, you don't necessarily want a jacket that breathes too well.
Agreed. Sunday was great in my Joe Rocket mesh jacket. The temps were in the 80s, we were stopping regularly and riding in the shade almost as much as the sun.

Friday and Saturday it was a lot of highway riding, but not all, and the temps were 90-92 and full sun. I was as comfortable in my Olympia AST 2 (first ride with it - I'm sold) as in my mesh. Maybe more comfortable.

I have had a Joe Rocket Phoenix silver for the last 6 years and have almost wore it out in the stitching. I am in need of replacing it in case of a get off. :huh: I like the jacket due to the pockets, armor,and water proof zip out liner. I had to replace the elbow/shoulder pads as they broke up. Functionally the jacket is great and the only thing I don't care for is the short collar. I bought the pants for it but due to the Texas heat and they being black I only wear during the seasons of less then 85 degrees.

I wear a under armour heat long sleeve to conserve the sweat somewhat, I found I get enough cooling /evaporation on longer trips- but use a tank bag with a bladder.

I watched the REVit 8 minute video on their jacket and believe if the Phoenix hasn't changed I would buy it agan if only up against that one.