Sumpter, SC going North into NC recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laser Dude

Reaction score
I'll be in Sumpter, SC tomorrow, heading north after that. I don't have enough time to head Northeast and do the Dragon, but will be with my buddy who's getting a Traxxion suspension on his Wing in Sumpter. Any scenic routes out of Sumpter, into NC and heading into VA? I know it's lots of highways, been on them many times in cars over the years, but was hoping for a little more enjoyable ride than hauling butt on the interstate on 95 or heading towards Charlotte and doing I-85 eventually. I-85 and I-95 aren't my idea of enjoyable rides.

I might not be able to pull off anything, it's not my ride to navigate, but if I'm asked, I'd like to have some suggestions.

Thanks!

tried to come up with a suggestion but i ended up with a 700 mile ride from sumter to richmond
smile.png

tried to come up with a suggestion but i ended up with a 700 mile ride from sumter to richmond
smile.png
LOL, I'm doing the straight path from richmond to Sumpter today. Just waiting to leave now. It's going to be a hot one today. Hopefully there aren't many/any traffic delays on 95.

I got some ideas off the other thread, so we'll see. No point in having a Traxxion system installed on your Wing if you plan on doing a straight line back, right? :)

when are you leaving sumter?

Edited to add:

My route from Sumter to Richmond

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&hl=en&authuser=0&authuser=0&mid=1jjlzZ3BrotnpI_JrsAq4oCjEVEQ

This is sorta just an excuse to see if my first attempt to export a route from Basecamp to Gmaps worked. Can anybody see the route?

As far as a really helpful suggestion goes, try to route through Uwharrie? I inadvertently arranged a Craigslist expedition to just south of Greensboro on a Charlotte NASCAR weekend. I rerouted Interstateless, to backroads that took me through Uwharrie. I was in the suv with a trailer wishing I was on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much in the way of twisty roads on the coastal plain. US 521/601 are high speed through the countryside and will avoid much of the Charlotte sprawl. Personally, I like routes through National Forest even if they're not twisty, but there isn't much of that along your route, either.

If you're trying to miss cities, you'll have to thread the needle between Charlotte, Greensboro, and the Research Triangle of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.

Burlington has the world's biggest chest of drawers. (It's a 3-story office building for a furniture manufacturer.)

worlds%20largest_zpsh53tr2rh.jpg

Thanks guys, in Sumpter now, will probably leave Friday. Thought we'd leave Thursday afternoon, but that looks doubtful. I'll know the plan more late tomorrow.

Thanks for the input. Man, that's a set or drawers :)