Suomy USA Halts Operations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Motorcycle USA:

Quote:

Suomy USA Halts Operations

7/3/2008

Courtesy of Modern World Ventures

Suomy USA announces today, effective immediately, it has ceased operation and no longer represents Suomy Spa, Suomy Helmets or its distributors. Suomy USA will no longer be responsible for customer service, warranty, product support, sales training, sponsorships or anything associated with Suomy helmets whatsoever.

Rick Marlin, Director of Suomy USA - "We are sad to end our long standing cooperation with Suomy Spa and our distribution partners. However, the fifth consecutive year of a very weak dollar and a slumping economy have worked against us, and while we have made significant sacrifices to keep the doors open, we are simply not in a position to carry on in this manner."

Rick Marlin first imported Suomy Helmets into the USA in 1998 through Gearbox International. Then, Suomy was a completely unknown brand in the USA. "We can take pride of our accomplishments with Suomy. Our initial five year mission was to position the brand as a relevant competitor to Shoei and Arai's best, and establish a national distribution network. With a very modest budget, we successfully positioned Suomy Helmets against the best out of Japan, ranking as the #1 performing helmet in a well known national Helmet Satisfaction study five years in a row, and established a nationwide distribution network with Parts Unlimited, Van Leeuwen Enterprises and Romaha Importer and Distributors. We can leave knowing we attained those goals and more."

Those goals and more, indeed - Suomy was the first modern premium helmet to be established in the US market, not with the Snell approval rating, but with the British standard - the venerable BSI 6658 Type A. In doing so, Rick Marlin and Suomy USA demonstrated that the more demanding, alternative European standards could be sold in the USA and effectively knocked down the old myths about Snell and truly started the conversation of alternative helmet standards now so widely discussed in all the major industry magazines. Says Rick, "I am certain that we at Suomy USA, and Suomy Spa put the helmet standard discussion firmly into the minds of the American consumer, and in doing so we leave a lasting legacy to the improved safety of every motorcyclist in the USA. This is an area of which I am most proud."

Suomy helmets will continue to be made available and serviced in the USA directly from its distribution partners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I saw this on Roadracing World. So did anybody ever actually have one of these helmets? Around here (Orlando, FL) it's just KBC/HJC and maybe Shoei, except for the "Helmet Shop" over in Daytona.

I went to www.suomy.com to see why I might want one, and it said "fuck off kid, you don't have flash installed" so I think I'll be sticking with my Nolan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that sucks. I have three Suomy helmets. Love them. The last two I bought from a local retailer who decided not to carry them any more. If you can find one of these at a blowout price, I would run, not walk and buy it. The only real complaint is they tend to be loud. Fit and finish are sensational. They simply do not fog. Good ventilation. And very friendly in a get off. I may go but a couple more. I like them that much.

Burleigh has one and will stand on his box at any opportunity to preach the values..

I've not worn one, can't say, but I do like the idea of wearing a DOT not Snell helmet.

However, the fifth consecutive year of a very weak dollar and a slumping economy have worked against us, and while we have made significant sacrifices to keep the doors open, we are simply not in a position to carry on in this manner."
So, Suomy USA is out of buisness. Another victim of our flogging economy.

Uhh... at first, I thought this meant Suomy is out of the USA. But..

Suomy helmets will continue to be made available and serviced in the USA directly from its distribution partners.
So, what's this mean? That the blood-sucking middle-man has been cut out? Or what?

Oh, well. I don't have a Suomy, anyway.