Surprise Ending - What to do with a high mileage 2003 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I thought that I'd continue this in a new thread due to a bit of an interesting development with my 305,000 Km, 2003 FJR.

I try not to become emotionally attached to things mechanical but it's kind of difficult after the number of hours that my ass was siamesed with the seat of my 2003 FJR. Selling it for just $2,000 +/- was not so much about the money as it was about the home that it would go to. I would rather keep it than see it go to someone who wouldn't give it the respect that I would like to see it receive. The first year of any bike is a bit special in my eyes. ( Ok, so it's not technically 1st year but the 2003 is its 1st year in North America.) And the FJR is arguably the best ST bike out there. Sure the Beemer riders wouldn't agree but if you add some weighting to purchase price, operating costs, repair costs, and reliability, I think we come out on top. Mine is a bit out of the ordinary given the number of miles on the odometer although there are some that are higher.

So, all of the above adds up to a resolution to my self inflicted torment. The Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham would like to have it so I'm going to ride it back down and hand over the bike and the keys for them.

2017-fjr-barber.JPG

Nice! That's an awesome thing for you to get to do.

Coworker donated his Suzuki RE5 rotary to the AACA museum in Hershey, PA.

Cool!
Anymore details you'd like to share about how that came about?
Pretty simple really. I offered and they accepted. I think that they recognized that the bike is a great example of a highly regarded bike that did what it was designed to do and did it really well. Being the only owner for 95%+ of it's life was also important for them. I have also documented pretty much every mile ridden and every bit of maintenance so the provenance is about as good as it gets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful news!!!

I'll tell my son he's riding a museum piece (my old '03) as well.
punk.gif

Dude, you're going to be FAMOUS!

Let us know when you'll be traveling down. I'm sure there are FJR brothers and sisters who would love to ride along for an hour or two.

Good for you,

Does the gas cell go with it?

Edit: If you time it right we can make a NAFO event of it. Low budget, just show up.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you,
Does the gas cell go with it?

Edit: If you time it right we can make a NAFO event of it. Low budget, just show up.

Dave
I thought about the aux tank. It's been on the bike for almost it's entire life so it's really part of the bike's character and what it was used for. I designed it to have a similar profile to the hard bags. I first put it to use on my first Trans Canada Gold and I'm going to leave my Iron Butt plate frame on it as well.

So then, mi Amigo Davido, the OLD bike is in the museum..

Did you offer yourself to the moooseeeem too?
not_i.gif

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses