Suzuki's New Sport Tourer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, i was just wondering about this bike ........
Me wonders why this wouldn't make a great sport touring machine for those looking to drop some of the obesity associated with an FJR, ST13 etc etc ......
I struggled with the same issue, really wanted to base an ST off the Honda 919. I found a fairing from Powerbronze, a UK company, but couldn't find any reviews of it and few pictures.

I think the Suzuki shown is really ugly, but I think the idea of full or nearly full fairing on a chain driven, light weight ST bike makes good sense.

But I'm putting money down on an FJR this week.

(As an aside, I think Honda will respond to Kawi's C14 with something really compelling for '09 too. An ST1400 perhaps..?)
That would be something to see. However, even my friends who "bleed" Honda red admit that since MR. HONDA is gone, the company is run by accountants and not engineers and designers with passion. It is my fervent hope that they would but my "doubt-meter" is rather unbelieving. With the market as soft as it is because of the international economies I would more expect them to hold back and play safe. :huh:

I'm more than willing to be surprised. :eek:

HiJack reply about the SpeedTriple is that the bike is great, the issue is completely about whether you have a good Triumph dealer in the area. Ours had to order the most minor of items, meaning that I ended up doing everything mailorder online. I loved my Sprint, but sold it when the lack of support got really old.

HiJack replay to RenoJohn regarding a more sporty sport-tourer with lots less weight? Easy, go check out the Ducati ST4S. With bar spacers, you can ride with a sit-up posture, but the bike absolutely rocks! I treated my '99 ST2 like a Honda and in our 3 years of commuting and weekend rides it NEVER let me down. The old cliches about Duc maintenance and reliability are way over-done.

Bob

Suzuki - Bandit? go ahead take a closer look. Not in the even same class sport or touring.

Honda - respectable tourer but needs a slimer new year model with sporty looks.

Kawasaki - Nice new tourer and might consider since it performs well, lose the grill.

BMW - love to see em out there but never had that much extra cash layin around.

Yamaha - a beautiful machine that performs well and is fast and sporty.

I'd ride any of the above but am happiest with still the thrilled to have an FJR in the garage. I'd rather add to my collection with another top of it's class sport bike, naked, cruiser, or dual sport. Always looking so thanks for the photo.

Suzuki bike engineer: See, there's this growing segment called Sport-Touring, where people want a bike that carries lots of stuff and goes all day, day after day, for thousands of miles if need be. We don't have anything in that, and we ought to.

Suzuki management committee: Sounds expensive.

Suzuki bike engineer: Well, the bikes are expensive, but the riders understand that, and they usually spend even more money to add devices which aid them in their travels, like GPS, radio, luggage, even fuel tanks and suspension upgrades.

Suzuki management committee: No, no. We meant expensive to design and produce. What's it gonna cost to develop?

Suzuki bike engineer: Could be millions. We don't have anything like this right now, it'd be a new platform, maybe a new engine. All the bikes there now are big enough for 5 or 6 hundred pound loads, shaft drive, big motors, 250-mile range at least.

Suzuki management committee: Hmm. How big's the market?

Suzuki bike engineer: Right now, a few hundred bikes a year, but it's growing rapidly.

Suzuki management committee: So we spend millions to sell 3 or 4 hundred bikes? Get out!

Suzuki bike engineer: Wait! We could take the Bandit and factory-load it with a bunch of things we already sell separately. It'd be close enough most folks might not know the difference! After all, people looking for an SUV will buy the Vitara!

Suzuki management committee: Well, not many, but we see your point. OK, do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just an old trick, it's called "crossover". Now if you turned this old crossover into a hybrid you might get some attention. Case dismissed. Sheesh. Next. PM. <>< :rolleyes:

Well, you might scoff at a Bandit GT because you already own a top-rate sport-tourer - right? Well, the Bandit fills a different market niche so don't feel so defensive about it.

I rode an FJR1300 for 4 years and really enjoyed it but wanted a new bike for a big birthday this year (I've never had a bike from new before). I'd always fanced a BMW but either couldn't afford it or couldn't decide which model and which compromise I was prepared to make. I neither could afford a new FJR. In the end, I bought a bought a Bandit 1250 and added parts so that it is virtually a GT.

Why? Firstly, I wouldn't have considered a chain drive because I hate 'em and that's one thing I liked about my FJR (apart from the paint flaking off the housing that is). I hate messy chains. My dealer persuaded me to try a Bandit 1250 and I had it in my mind that I wasn't going to like it. I had ridden a good few other bikes on test and hadn't found anything I was happy with but this bike was different. The two big features were a wonderful engine with superb low-down pull that gives FJR-like performance all the way up to 100+. The other thing was the nimbleness and the way the bike handled. I could lean it over much easier and it felt so solid. It didn't feel as top-heavy as an FJR and seemed more like a sport bike. After the test ride, I was grinning. This bike was giving me excitement that the FJR wasn't.

OK, it doesn't have a shaft (but finding good non-fling chain lube has helped with the mess), the fairing and screen isn't as good for weather protection and the lugggage isn't as well integrated and it's not quite as spacious as an FJR but I could buy two (yes- two) of these bikes for the price of one FJR. That's real bang for the buck.

Now, considering that 90% of my riding is a daily 30-mile commute and touring is only about 10%, the nimble Suzuki is the right choice for me. I miss my FJR but the Suzuki is great fun to ride. If you do more touring than commuting, maybe the FJR is right for you and the Suzuki will be a poor relation. It's horses for courses. The Suzuki isn't in the same league as the FJR but it doesn't stop it being a really enjoyable bike or representing great value for money. But please don't slag it off because you ride an FJR and feel you have to justify why you have one - there is space for both bikes on our roads. Just enjoy what you have and get out there and ride 'em.

Kappa is Givi. Kappa is their lower quality/budget line of gear

I was wondering when Suzuki would offer something for the ST market, but was hoping that they would build it around a Hayabusa engine.

I'm dumping my FJR immediately.....NOT.
Is that a chain drive??

I'm sure it will be a fine machine for wannabe FJR owners.
:blink: My sentiments exactly Badcat...I want a shaft drive on my sport tourers.

Used to own a naked 1200 Bandit, fun bike, lots of bike for the money, plenty power, twisties or long ride, rode to Daytona for BIKE WEEK and to the Dragon for the twisties. But once I rode the [SIZE=24pt]TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE [/SIZE]it was trade in time. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
didnt like the front brakes, got to be He-man :rolleyes:

We saw this last night at the Long Beach mc show. The bags are Suzuki not Givi. The side bags look too shallow IMHO and the trunk difinitely looks like an afterthought. It encroaches on the pasenger space and has no backrest, obviously.

Well, I must say that the look is more appealing to me than the Kawasaki. Pretty nice from what I can tell in the small pic.
Go to the Suzuki site and look at the butt fugly can hidden on the other side...ACK
You need to see it in real life.... I was at the Toronto show this past weekend and saw the all grey one. It's very nice and at $10,300 (show special) a bargin. If I didn't already have my FJR (and being nearly $8000 cheaper), I would have bought one...

Add that onto the MSRP of $8800 and your just over $10K. All that for a standard bike, with chain drive and you still have to do the work to install the add ons.
Okay, but the topcase isn't stock on the FJR either, so you'd need to add $815 to match the Suzuki's equipment level, so the FJR would be at about $14,700 and the Suzuki at about $10,350. That's $4350 difference, or a 42% bump over the Suzuki for the FJR's shaft, electric screen, and designed-in sport touring prowess.

Not saying the FJR isn't the better bike overall, but if you're value-conscious, I don't think you can beat this new Bandit.

- Mark
Agreed, and the price diff is even greater in Canada. It's actually really nice in real life. They were offering (In toronto International show this past weekend) the Bandit 1250sea (sea is the designation in Canada) for $10,300 (show special). As far as I know the '08 FJR in Canada lists for around $19,000.

I have an 02 Bandit, It's plenty fast, will wheelie in all 5 gears.

I could put bags and stuff on it, but decided not to, bought an 95 FJR, but sold it, it's just really too big for me.

The Bandit I have is also lowered, as was the FJR, but about 150 or so lbs lighter.

I'm selling it because I really want a sport tourer that comes with bags and stuff... maybe I'll have to give the new Bandit a 2nd look....<BG>

wonder if all those goodies will fit an old Bandit...<G>

Maryy

I have an 02 Bandit, It's plenty fast, will wheelie in all 5 gears.I could put bags and stuff on it, but decided not to, bought an 95 FJR, but sold it, it's just really too big for me.

The Bandit I have is also lowered, as was the FJR, but about 150 or so lbs lighter.

I'm selling it because I really want a sport tourer that comes with bags and stuff... maybe I'll have to give the new Bandit a 2nd look....<BG>

wonder if all those goodies will fit an old Bandit...<G>

Maryy
Do you mean "95 FJ1200? To my knowledge the first year of the FJR1300 was 2001 and 2003 before it came to North America.