SW Mototech Mirror Extensions Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeweyIsgod

Reaction score
I've never liked the looks of the FZ1 mirrors, but like many others, I get a nice view of my shoulders in the stock configurations. So I decided to take a shot on the SW Mototech Mirror extensions from Twistedthrottle.com.

I tried to line up the pictures taken from as close as possible to my viewpoint. Pay attention to the edges of my garage door in the pictures as well as my arms for the small difference. Because the mirror extensions have the same angle as the front cowling, the 1 1/2 in extension only ends up moving the mirror out by about a 1/2 inch.

Right before Mirror Extension

P1180225.jpg

Right with Mirror Extension

P1180229.jpg

Left before Mirror Extension

P1180226.jpg

Left with Mirror Extension

P1180228.jpg

Installation was easy. It only took about 10 minutes since I already had the panels off for other farkling (radar detector wiring and screamer install). I'll follow up with some real-world feedback, but post-install, it seems like not a lot of movement for $65.

Maybe one of you photoshop junkies with too much time on your hands can overlay the pictures to measure the difference.

I am interested in these extensions, thank you for the report.

How does it look to you from the front of the bike, do they look sanitary, or do they look like bug antennas?

Im looking forward to your ride evaluations. I had FZ1 mirrors on my previous AE, they do make a difference. Hopefully these extensions will do the job too.

smile.gif

Brodie

I am interested in these extensions, thank you for the report.

How does it look to you from the front of the bike, do they look sanitary, or do they look like bug antennas?

Im looking forward to your ride evaluations. I had FZ1 mirrors on my previous AE, they do make a difference. Hopefully these extensions will do the job too.

smile.gif

Brodie
They look very natural on the bike. They're made of hard plastic and have a smooth curve to fit in the lines of the bike. The matte black might look odd against the 2009-10 black gloss, but does well with the superior color of midnight blue. I'll snap a pic when I get home.

I definitely need more time to fully absorb, but on today's 30 minute ride into work, I did notice an improvement. I can see more of the lane next to me. Initially, I wasn't that excited about the 1/2 inch of movement, but I'm now moderately warm.

I can't see from the images what spaces they are. A couple of years ago I made some 50mm spaces in resin then wrapped them in carbon fibre. These have the same profile as the wing mirror base. This sorted my problems of obscured rear view completely. I will take some pictures to show tomorrow

Andy

I bought these a while ago and finally got around to installing them. I was surprised by how much of a difference they make and visually they look quite nice. I cannot make a fair comparison to the FZ mirrors, but they solved the issue of my elbows and shoulders taking up a majority of the view.

I am sure there are other options, but I am overall happy with the pruchase.

Regards,

Davy

A few pics of how they look...sorry for the poor lighting.

P1200230.jpg

P1200231.jpg

I'll upgrade my review after a couple days. They are an improvement - still not a drastic one. You can probably get more out of your farkling dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in these too, so the more pictures the better. Also, can you tell us what the material is, and do you think it can be painted? Thanks.

I am interested in these too, so the more pictures the better. Also, can you tell us what the material is, and do you think it can be painted? Thanks.
It's a solid hard plastic. I don't really know enough about paint to make an informed call on the second part.

Most likely is a plastic called Delrin or it could also be Nylon material. Both easily machined and fairly rigid.

They look easy to install. I do see part of my elbows when riding in most gear except in the summer mesh jacket, so any extension would be helpful. Also thinking of getting the miltiplex mirrors, that others have mentioned also. Need to order soon usually riding by end February here in Tennessee

Most likely is a plastic called Delrin or it could also be Nylon material. Both easily machined and fairly rigid.
Thanks, guys. If Delrin, it should feel slippery and paint/primer won't stick to it very well. If ABS or nylon, it should be paintable with the appropriate primer. I just thought I'd maybe like to paint them body colour, but I guess I'll just get some and see what they look like in black.

Because the mirror extensions have the same angle as the front cowling, the 1 1/2 in extension only ends up moving the mirror out by about a 1/2 inch.
We found the same thing here: <Link>

left side:

DSC03430.JPG
DSC03432.JPG

Just because I wasn't satisfied with this solution, doesn't mean someone else wouldn't be totally content with them. That's why I offered the model in the CAD Exchange. If you have the tools, make your own. <Link>