Take a look at my calipers! Please!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They likely either have a passivation treatment or they are hardened high carbon steel. If they were not treated with any finish, and they were discolored from heat cycling, they would start out with a little gold coloring when they reach around 540 degrees F, then to brown at a bit higher temp, then purple, then dark blue when getting up to around 640 F, then a dull grey above that. If you hit temps anywhere near that high, I would expect your brake fluid would boil away and your brakes would seize up from the boiling fluid. Slap in new pads and enjoy.

In my last post I assumed that the pistons are steel. If they are actually aluminum, then the dark coloring is a hard coating of some type. Aluminum doesn't discolor from heat.

In my last post I assumed that the pistons are steel. If they are actually aluminum, then the dark coloring is a hard coating of some type. Aluminum doesn't discolor from heat.
I am sure they are steel. That is why I never worried about the discolor. I do not think aluminum would retain it shape in the heat we are talking about being generated on brakes. The pucks are steel.

Wow, those calipers look brand new. You should see mine....oily, dirty...probably smell funny....like seal oil. Not sure why the pucks are discolored....
I'm surprised ODOT did not suggest it is time to change the battery and pumpkin oil!! That should solve most any issue.

You may have the optional factory colored caliper pistons. Slap some new pads on 'em and see what color they they become in 30,000 miles or so. I'd stay away from seal oil if i were you. Might attract more than just your dog.
Chiefblueman is correct. Stay away from seal oil. It is a Federal offense to have seal oil unless you are a pure blooded Alaskan Indian!!

I'm kind of curious? Do you have any snow? If not just go out a ride the damn thing!
Snow! lol This bike has never even seen rain! Fair weather ryder...and proud of it.
Rydmohr, Where are you in Norcal? Perhaps we can get together and compare bikes. I am likewise a fair weather rider. I have been caught in the rain but do not elect to start in rain. I clean the bike after each ride and that includes the calipers!!

Don't try and clean the colour off the pistons, one caliper has coated pistons, the other standard stainless steel. I don't why Yamaha did it that way, maybe due to link braking system, but there will be a very good reason!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't try and clean the colour off the pistons, one caliper has coated pistons, the other standard stainless steel. I don't why Yamaha did it that way, maybe due to link braking system, but there will be a very good reason!

Son of a bitch, you're right!

The right side caliper has pistons in it that are part number 3P6-W0057-00-00 which is a pair

The left side caliper, the lower single piston is 3P6-W0057-10-00, and the upper piston is 3P6-W0057-20-00

So the two on the left are definitely different from each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Son of a bitch, you're right!, On occasion, but not very often

The right side caliper has pistons in it that are part number 3P6-W0057-00-00 which is a pair

The left side caliper, the lower single piston is 3P6-W0057-10-00, and the upper piston is 3P6-W0057-20-00

So the two on the left are definitely different from each other.
Son of a bitch, you're right!, On occasion, but not very often
smile.png

A

I'm kind of curious? Do you have any snow? If not just go out a ride the damn thing!
Snow! lol This bike has never even seen rain! Fair weather ryder...and proud of it.
Rydmohr, Where are you in Norcal? Perhaps we can get together and compare bikes. I am likewise a fair weather rider. I have been caught in the rain but do not elect to start in rain. I clean the bike after each ride and that includes the calipers!!
Hey Art....I'm in Brentwood, east cc county. We should meet up for a ryde, almost have her back together.