Tall Yamaha Shield and Topcase Added

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smilin' Kyle

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my '08 with the just added Yamaha tall shield and topcase. Heated grips wil come later but I'm having second thoughts about the need for bar risers.

She's a beauty!

Oh, a special thanks to Pawtracks for showing me/us how to post pics here on the forum. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a picture of my '08 with the just added Yamaha tall shield and topcase. Heated grips wil come later but I'm having second thoughts about the need for bar risers.

She's a beauty!

Oh, a special thanks to Pawtracts for showing me/us how to post pics here on the forum. :yahoo:
Hey Kyle. How much different is the new Yamaha shield compared to the stock one as far as wind protection and noise? I am 6'3. Thanks...

She's a beauty!

Oh, a special thanks to Pawtracts for showing me/us how to post pics here on the forum. :yahoo:
Hey Kyle. How much different is the new Yamaha shield compared to the stock one as far as wind protection and noise? I am 6'3. Thanks...
Yeah, I'm kinda interested about that too..

I'm 6'2" and the "new to me" '08 bike I just got has the Yami Tall already installed. It is +4 in height but I think could still use about 1 more inch for total noise and wind protection. I have found, after a 500 mile ride down the slab, in the rain, I like it down all the way most of the time. The wind hits me in the chest and helps hold me up from putting too much weight on the hands. When the rain starts I put it up about 95% and the rain blows off the face shield perfectly. I didn't think I would like it but for me it seems to fit my needs nicely. Personally, I don't really care for the "quiet bubble" you get when you duck down behind the shield. I like the wind and noise (I ride with earplugs on long fast journeys) when the shield is all the way down.

p.s. When the shield is all the way up, my wife gets bopped around pretty good.

She's a beauty!

Yeah, I'm kinda interested about that too..
I'll have to ride with it for awhile to see what my final opinion is. The extra 4" does make for a much quieter ride; however, it's not totally quiet. Then again, this isn't my K12LT where I'd run the shield up to about an inch below my sight line and ride in total quiet.
Perhaps down the road I might consider a Cee Bailey +4 with a flip or a +6 that I run 2/3 up. All I know is Yamaha's tall shield is better than the stock and it was $100. Time will tell. There may be one for sale here in awhile or maybe not. One thing is for sure: this shield is a whole lot easier to replace than my '05 Concours. That one was a pain. That ease of replacemenet might tempt me to try something different.

Perhaps down the road I might consider a Cee Bailey +4 with a flip or a +6 that I run 2/3 up. All I know is Yamaha's tall shield is better than the stock and it was $100. Time will tell. There may be one for sale here in awhile or maybe not. One thing is for sure: this shield is a whole lot easier to replace than my '05 Concours. That one was a pain. That ease of replacemenet might tempt me to try something different.
We should swap shields some time. I have a +2 flip Cee Bailey shield I run most of the year and I'm very happy with it. I've never tried the tall Yami shield, but it would be good to try all the options. I'm still running my Vstream, but the weather is getting warm enough to swap to the summer CB shield. Also time to take the Vstrom hand guards off because I don't care for how they look (but they work great for warmer hands during the winter).

... I'm having second thoughts about the need for bar risers.
Good thinking on that. I'm always surprised that people complain about wind noise/turbulence and then want to add risers that will put their heads further away from the shield and up higher in the wind. Better to learn the "Master Yoda" technique and ride the bike the way it was designed to be ridden. And save yourself the cost and work of the triple clamp changeout.

We should swap shields some time.

You'd mentioned this earlier. Given how easy the shield is to take off and remount, it sounds like a great idea.

Better to learn the "Master Yoda" technique and ride the bike the way it was designed to be ridden.

The first couple of days after picking up the bike my back and forearms ached--then the discomfort went away. Frankly, I realize now that I prefer the sport/touring stance; to me, it feels like I have a better command of the motorcycle.