TB sync/dealer charge...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiz1974

Reaction score
Ok, so I have 1200 on the bike and I've noticed that it is starting to run a little rough just off-idle and it actually back-fired while backing off the throttle from around 3500 rpm in 1st gear. I've read the merits of doing a TBS and have a friend that has the necessary knowledge and tools so I will be having him help me do a TBS in the near future. I've read of owners having this done as part of the 600 mi check and I am assuming the dealer charges for doing this. My question(s)...

do they charge for doing a TBS? I'm mean, if I called (which I haven't) and said my bike wasn't running as it should and I am pretty sure a TBS needs to be performed and it indeed turns out to be that is the problem, should I be charged? Has anyone with a new bike having performance issues where it turned out needing a TBS been charged?

Thoughts?

Oh yes, they most definitely will charge you. Just as they would charge you to do any normal maintenance procedure such as an oil change, spark plugs, etc........

Problem is, your average crappy dealer will tell you that it doesn't need to be done, or since you have no carbs, it doesn't need to be done, or they will charge you for it but not do it.

Simple procedure. After you do it once, it's a no-brainer. Buy a Morgan Carbtune.

I have to agree with Skooter. It gets filed under a "discretionary call" by the dealer to whether it should get done at 600 or not. Not saying it is right or not, just saying what it gets chalked up as.

Mine was not done either and going to look at it soon with Charlie Hoss. Buzzing seems to be more now with a few thousand on bike and my carpentry carpel tunnel gets my fingers and thumb fast.

Ok, so I have 1200 on the bike and I've noticed that it is starting to run a little rough just off-idle and it actually back-fired while backing off the throttle from around 3500 rpm in 1st gear. I've read the merits of doing a TBS and have a friend that has the necessary knowledge and tools so I will be having him help me do a TBS in the near future. I've read of owners having this done as part of the 600 mi check and I am assuming the dealer charges for doing this. My question(s)...do they charge for doing a TBS? I'm mean, if I called (which I haven't) and said my bike wasn't running as it should and I am pretty sure a TBS needs to be performed and it indeed turns out to be that is the problem, should I be charged? Has anyone with a new bike having performance issues where it turned out needing a TBS been charged?

Thoughts?
The Service Manual indicates that a TBS should be done at 600 miles, at 4,000 miles and every 4,000 miles after that. You are going to service your new bike according to the Service Manual, right?

Yes, of course the dealer will charge you to do a TBS, but it should not cost much.

The Service Manual indicates that a TBS should be done at 600 miles, at 4,000 miles and every 4,000 miles after that. You are going to service your new bike according to the Service Manual, right?
Yes, of course the dealer will charge you to do a TBS, but it should not cost much.
What it says in my manual is "check and adjust idle speed and synchronization."

I know we can have a debate on what consistutes a check, but in my book a stable idle at the right setting, good throttle response, and minimal vibration constitute an OK and check accomplished. I don't need to stick sticks on the throttle bodies to know that things are OK.

If there were problem issues, I'd go for it. But if things seem very right, its a lot of monkeying around for no gain.

You know, it says in the manual that prior to doing the TBS, you should also check the valve clearances, engine idling speed, and ignition timing. The odds are that the valve clearance and ignition timing aren't high on the list of things to do in a 600 mile service either.

Then we get to the idea of doing it according to the service manual. Manual says use Yamalube 20W40, but no one is making it. Manual says use Yamaha proprietary unspec'ed fish smellin' final drive lube, but almost no one is buying it. You gotta take the manual with some grains of salt some time. I've laid in a stock of the 20W40 lube, and I'm using the funny final drive lube... but I ain't going near the throttle bodies until the 4000 mile service unless they give me more than a "check" notice from the manual.

There may be a case? (highly unlikely) for TBS being paid for under the Govenment mandated 50K mile emissions warranty? For that to happen, I think you'd need to show it needs adjustment because it doesn't meet 'emissions' anymore.

On the other hand: [sarcasm] FJR Forum members are encouraged (mandated?) to work on their bikes regularly; buy hundreds/thousands $$$ of special tools; and install numerous aftermarket gadgets to make their FJR "right".

You didn't think you could just buy it and ride it -- did you? Nope, you've got to dismantle it often and adjust everything -- or.... I don't know .... something might happen..??[/sarcasm]

Now, I hear .... maybe the whole thing is "a discretionary call"? :huh: :unsure:

And whatever you do, run some fishing line or sewing thread through those little rubber nipples BEFORE pulling them off, or plan on spending a lot of downtime retrieving them from deep within the engine nooks and crannies (don't ask me how I might know this...)