TBS Q- Carbtune Pro (Answered)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbvolfan

Reaction score
I posted this Q, then deleted it after finding an online instruction booklet that let me know I was missing the restrictors in the vacuum hoses.

I am reposting this as suggested below in case anyone else stumbles across this issue and has the same Q.

Oringinal Q:

While using my new Carbtune today I noticed that the bars were jumping all over the place (video below). The hoses were snug on the nipples and the bike was fully warmed up (2 bars) and idle set between 1k-1.1k.

I was looking for reasons as to why it was bouncing all over the place since my carbtune was missing the instruction manual and I was following the write up on fjrtech.com (excellent BTW).

Last edited by a moderator:
The hoses going to the device should have restrictors in them to limit how much air can move through the house, which will stabilize the readings. That's what came with my non-mercury tool, anyway.

You deleted your question while I was posting. You ought to leave it in case it helps somebody else some day.

Video made me a little nauseous but,

Mine acts similar but just twisting the throttle a bit gets them to level out (once they're adjusted) and seems to result in a fairly smooth ride.

This is funny, as I did my TBS the other day with my bud George. I just pulled the Carb tune out of the package and started using it and it jump all over the place, after a good scolding George read the manual and found out what that darn little clear hose was for. It is to be cut into four and makes a restrictor. Guess what it smoothes out real good.

This is funny, as I did my TBS the other day with my bud George. I just pulled the Carb tune out of the package and started using it and it jump all over the place, after a good scolding George read the manual and found out what that darn little clear hose was for. It is to be cut into four and makes a restrictor.
Lets get this straight...I gave you a good scolding for not reading the instructions. ;) Funny how well the unit worked once it was assembled correctly. :p

--G

Mine didnt come with any instructions and I mistakenly looked at the bag of plastic pieces and figured they were just some different size nipples to use on certain bikes. I remembered reading a write up that said the FJR didnt need any special adpaters, that the hoses just fit right on so off I went.........

It is kinda funny though. Not being a mechanic I have to admit that some pretty crazy thoughts ran through my mind as to why it was hopping all over the place!

Hey, at least it wasnt Friday when I posted this and maybe someone else will learn from it.

Wow, those little 1" restrictors made all the difference. No bounciness and it took me longer to take the carbtune out and hook it up then it did to adjust everything. I was surprised they werent that out of sync as my bike had a terrible buzz to it. After a little fine tuning it was buttery smooth all the way to redline.

What a good day. I finally managed to remove the front end as well to send the old forks off to GPSuspension and do a little more cleaning up while I was in there.

WOO HOO! I love it when a plan comes together!

db,

Glad you got your TBS and Carb Tune working properly. As in most things today, even with instructions on mine, it is hard to make sense of them since they are poorly explained or illustrated.

Can't wait to hear how your new suspension works.... I when I did mine it made a world of difference.

All the best.