TCI Exhaust Wrap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperbike

Reaction score
It's in this month's issue of Rider. It claims to put heat out the exhaust rather than on the panels. Anyone tried an exhaust wrap or shall I be the first?

Header wrap bad for street applications, kills pipes. Cermet coatings (ceramic metallic) better but still expect pipe pits, then failure. Short term you will enjoy some heat relief, the relief will last until you start hearing an exhaust leak... The heat never goes away, the dissipation area moves and the constrained heat doesn't all go out the exhaust.

What say Radman?

Yea, I saw that same write up, it got me thinking too. Glad to find this subject posted here.

Never used it on a bike, but made the mistake of installing on a 4 cyl cage several years ago...

Worked great at first. After about a month, all four header pipes were separated at the collector... all the welds came apart from the rust / heat / pressure of the wrap.

On a post-mortem inspection, I noticed the header had rusted / pitted so badly on the surface from water migration / intense heat, that I wouldn't have had much longer anyway...

It not only cooled the engine compartment, allowing cooler intake temps, but also kept the exhaust hot longer, which kept the exhaust gases exiting quicker, thereby drawing cold air in even quicker into the cylinders...

It works, but I paid for it in the long run.